Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDo I need a new engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need a new engine?
    Posted: 26-June-2004 at 21:23

Got a 1988 316i 1.6

It was making a noise like noisy tappets when the power suddenly died driving along the motorway. One of the pistons has hit the spark plug and completely knocked it out of shape. Mechanic says it was low on oil and it would cost £800 upwards to find fault and repair. I can get a replacement engine for £250 +vat, but would still need to have it fitted.

Anybody have this fault before and know of a cheaper way of fixing it? Otherwise, I think my only option is to try to sell it for spares.

Andy

Sponsored Links

troid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2004 at 22:35

£800 for engine rebuild you must be joking, i used to work in a garage and if the piston has hit your plug it sounds like the big ends gone. and thats problem can cause more damge. 250 for an engine not bad i had to put an engine in my fiesta zetec and that cost 350

not good news sorry

troid

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 09:18

Not sure how one of your pistons hit a spark plug?

Unless your car is an absolute minter I would be tempted to sell it for spares and buy something else. 

Once you start having to mess around with stripping and rebuilding an engine it will get very expensive. You could go for the second hand replacement engine but then there's no gaurantee that it wont give up a few months down the line either. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 14:52

Surprised you haven't bent or snapped  valves either, they usually go before the plug does. Sounds like you have had a big end bearing cap or wee end failure or a stretched con rod, did you somehow manage to overrev the engine when low on oil?

Easily cheaper to replace with your £250 lump but you should really recon all gaskets and stuff. I would guess that it would cost you approx £250 for parts plus labour if you are going to do it properly and recon before fitting. If not and it's a lift out and replace then it's just labour on top of the cost of the lump.

Not good news unfortunately.

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 15:58
Sometimes if the small end wears/goes it can sound like noisey tappets. The piston may have departed company from the con rod and decided it like the plug better - either way fixing your engine or getting a new isn't cheap - as your car is nearing 20 years old, it may not be worth repairing and would be cheaper to replace the whole car with another, unless as Peter says it is low mileage and in excellent condition.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
thethief View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 19:15

Thanks to everyone for replying. Sounds as bad as I thought. Looks like I'll have to try and sell for spares.

I'm going to go and cry now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic