Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA brakes head scratcher (E30 318is)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A brakes head scratcher (E30 318is)
    Posted: 29-June-2004 at 09:37

I have been having a problem with my front brakes vibrating under braking for some time now.  They also seem to rub at a specific point on each side of the car.  I have noticed this recently by applying the brakes lightly whilst rolling down a hill.

So far I have changed the pads, discs, checked the bushes, the bearings, the steering alignment and the track rod ends and I have even changed the seals and guide pin bushes in the calipers, but the problem still persists!  I changed the seals at the weekend and since then the vibration has been amplified.

The only possible answer/solution my father and I have come up with is to chamfer the leading edge of the brake pads, in case they are catching and causing judder, or that the disc is not seated properly on the hub, is slightly off alignment, causing it to wobble as it goes through the caliper.

If anyone has some words of wisdom I would be more than interested in hearing what you have to say!!  I can't bear the thought of being beaten by this, having to take it to a garage and for it to be something realy simple to fix.

Sponsored Links

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 16:43

brake discs are suposed to have a slight buckle in them , its what opens the calipers up to prevent them from binding but it it should never be enuff to feel through the pedal or steering  and i reckon you allready knew that !.

Can you actually feel it through the pedal or just the steering ? also have you changed the wheels ? do you get a wobble at any speed through the steering wheel ?

if you have done all the work to your car im sure you have a pretty good knowledge of mechanics  so i can only go over what you have allready done yourself .

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
318isMarts View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 17:14

The handling of the car is perfect, no wobble/vibrations when driving under normal conditions.  The wheels are standard and I have rotated them to make sure it wasn't the tyres.  Its only under braking that I feel the vibration through the steering.  I'll double check on the way home to see if I'm getting any vibrations through the pedal, but I don't rember any.

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 19:02

-no point in fitting a bunch of new bits if;

1) your rubber bushings are at all soft (on 5 and 6 series people fit stiffer ones)

2) there is ANY grease at all on any part of the brakes- even fingerprints,

3) your wheels are at all out of balance

so I'd check these things first. I'd reckon on 3 myself, so that'd be the first thing I'd check.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 09:00

Right, I drove the car and paid special attention to the vibrations I was/the car was experiencing.  There is no discernable vibration comming through the pedal but there is some coming through the steering wheel.  This is amplified intermittantley whilst braking in corners.

In responce to Brucey's comments, I have done a visula check on the bushes and they seem to be good.  I sanded the brake pads when I refitted them and used parafin to remove any grease/brake fluid from the disc brakes.  Ive also rotated the wheels to check for inbalance or faulty tyres (buldges).

The thing that get s me is the irregularity of the vibrations.  Sometime they are quite violent and sometimes you hardly feel them.  Its very hard to take note of all the factors when the vibration is violent, but the information above is as accurate as possible.  There is no wobble in the steering when driving normaly, the car seems to drive fine, so I'm 'steering' away from the idea that it might be the bushes, but I'm happy to be proved wrong if someone has a theory!

SieT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 10:32
Have u checked the shock absorbers i am no expert but it could that.
My dad had a 528 and he got a slight judder on one corner on bends and also on braking hope i have helped
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 21:09

-you have GOT to get your wheels balanced properly if you have not done this already.

-your wheels weighs 15 to 20 kg each; if they are even 0.1mm off balance driving the car will be like driving a road drill....

-take your wheels down to a reputable tyre fitters and get them balanced if there is any doubt. They can look just fine, round etc but still be well off-balance.

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 13:02
I'd suggest that you need to specifically check your track rod ends (inners and outers), balljoints and the control arm rear bushings.

If the vibration is variable and can get quite strong, then it is unlikely to be the brakes, wheels or tyres. Instead you are getting some lash or hyterisis effect as a result of steering/suspension wear.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 13:07
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

brake discs are suposed to have a slight buckle in them , its what opens the calipers up to prevent them from binding but it it should never be enuff to feel through the pedal or steering  and i reckon you allready knew that !.

Where did you hear that from? In what way/direction is a buckle built in and how is the disk manufactured this way? What is the tolerance?
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 13:12
new to me!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2004 at 09:14

I thought I had found the culprit last night.  The driver's side track rod end had a break in the seal, so I whipped it out and put in a new one.  This morning, the tracking was slightly out, which I'll get sorted today, but I can still feel vibration, although it is dramatically less than before.  Going round corners as well, causes much less vibration then before. 

So, could there have been some uneven wear on the discs as a result of the worn out track rod end??  The brakes still catch slightly when the car is creeping forward down a hill and the brakes are lightly applied.  Its like there is a high spot which rubs against the pads once every revolution.

Thanks for your help!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2004 at 08:28

This web address was forwarded to me by member 'b318isp' and its a real eye opener, describing to how brakes work.  Its quite scientific but understandable.  Well worth the time to read.  This has convinced me that I have found the problem.  I sanded the discs with garnet paper last night and it seems to have solved the problem, so at least if the problem comes back then I know its the discs and the problem came from not bedding them in properly!

The link:  http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic