Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNON FUNCTIONING SPEEDO AND FUEL ECONOMY G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NON FUNCTIONING SPEEDO AND FUEL ECONOMY G
    Posted: 19-February-2003 at 13:52

Car: 1984 635 CSI, manual gearbox.

I was returning the tachometer to zero and both the speedo and the fuel economy gauges simultaneously stopped working.  The gauges are electronic.  I have replaced the speed sensor and as far as possible checked out the units and can see no faults - no visible breaks in the PCBs.  All fuses in fuse box are OK - HELP PLEASE - anybody come across this problem before?

Tony

01366 500945

e-mail: Kstainedglass@aol.com

Sponsored Links

David View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2003 at 21:13

Hi,

I have got a 1984 628 which I had a similar problem with the speedo not working.  It was caused by the batteries on the circuit board leaking and damaging the circuit board.  Had to get a new one which was costly.  You can always try getting a second hand VDU out of another 6 or 5 E26 or even a 7 E23, just look at your local scrap yard.  I seem to be collecting VDUs ,if i'm at a scrap yard and a see one I buy it just in case it happens again.

Dave

Lakey635 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2003 at 13:58

Hello,

I have a similar problem with my 1986 635, but my Rev counter and Temp Gauge are affected.  Assuming I can track down a board what is involved in fitting, i dont seem to be able to find anyone who sells a tech manual for the six series (any ideas on this too!).  While i was there i wanted to change a bulb in the dash thats blown.

Also, i have heard you can change the batteries if the board is undamaged, is this practical?

Appreciate any help.......

Brians635CSI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 17:56

Hi All,

My 1985 CSI developed the speedo and fuel economy fault immediately after having the air conditioning regassed.  Air con guy said it was nothing to do with him but I suspected he had loosened a connection somewhere.

The speedo does not work at all but the economy meter sits at zero and every so often swings all the way left and then drops back to zero again.  Service lights very occassionally all go green and then go out again.  Rev counter and other dials are not affected.

I have checked the wires under the dash but I have not removed the instruments yet.

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 19:32
Had a similar problem with my 6 and it was the rear mounting screw of the actual guage's. Took it to Hartlake and they fixed it in about an hour. They also reconditioned and checked out the circuit board at the same time. Give them a call on 01474 326626 and ask to speak to Phil. 
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 19:36

This is a common fault on sixes and is easily fixed if you know what you are doing. The screw i mentioned earlier is plastic. Don't buy a second hand board as it may be no better, just get the old one fixed. Hartlake charged me almost nothing for the work. But I am a regular customer. Maximum cost £40.

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2003 at 23:02
Originally posted by PTAOTNY PTAOTNY wrote:

Car: 1984 635 CSI, manual gearbox

I have a manual 6 too, very rare . What colour is it? and whats the spec? If you are free this weekend there will be a group of 6 series owners meeting up at the New Inn in Heckfield. Last meet we had 26 6's and 39 cars. This offer is open to anybody. look at the heckfield photos on the front page to see some of the cars.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2003 at 12:51
Problems with gauges and dials not registering tends to be down to electrical connections. You should also have the sensor / sender units at gearbox / hubs checked. (I had the sensors replaced on my 1983 635CSi Auto about five years ago when mine failed, causing exactly the symptoms that "Brians635CSI" describes.)

The process of dropping the steering column and removing the instrument panel is quite straightforward, but takes a long time if you're going to be ruthless and do it properly. When dismantling the instrument panel, take care not to bend the speedo and rev counter needles.

Allow at least half a day DIY.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic