Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Posted: 11-July-2004 at 10:17
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 11:27

For the past 15 years its been a question of When, not If.With the reunification and the European open borders, the volume of traffic has slowed down the speeds, and opportunities to drive above 230Kph for any length of time

.Anyone who has driven in the early eighties, and cruised at these speeds as normal , used to wonder how much longer it would be allowed.

Environmental issues are a convienient subject to hang on a multitude of Political slime and Corruption. The motorist will always be the fall person, and easy to target.The amount of pollution from Aircraft , Diesel Commercials, and Industry is up 100% EACH year, Did YOU hear the Greens make any comments.???.

SAFETYFAST
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 17:16
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

The amount of pollution from Aircraft , Diesel Commercials, and Industry is up 100% EACH year, Did YOU hear the Greens make any comments.???.

Er pollution from industry has been on the decline for many years now. I work on Wilton site on teesside and I can say that over the last few decades the level of pollution generated by the chemical plants here has been reduced considerably. On top of this industry is now taxed on the ammount of CO2 that it generates. Finally if a business does have an accidental chemical/pollution release the environmental agency jump on them, imposing big fines and if it happens too often they can and frequently do, remove the license to operate.

Driving a car and working in the chemical industry I can say without a doubt that compared to industry motorists do not get a bad deal. This doesn't mean that I think us motorists have it easy, but compared to industry we do.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 18:29

Thanks Peter.

It is getting very easy to feel picked on as a motorist, and in some areas I still think we are...but it is good to see comment from somebody like yourself who knows more than what we read in the motoring press.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 18:42

Have to admit it was fun driving down to the Munich Oktoberfest in 2001. Left Calais ferry in my old n/a Supra at 7am, arrived at the hotel in Bad Tolz at 9pm...flying lessons all the way there..wonderful experience..

And yes, there were other drivers going considerably quicker than me..I was handicapped by having 2 passengers and 3 huge suitcases in a car with very little space and no turbo  lol

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 19:15
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Thanks Peter.

It is getting very easy to feel picked on as a motorist, and in some areas I still think we are...but it is good to see comment from somebody like yourself who knows more than what we read in the motoring press.

The environmental lobby is having a big impact on a lot of different areas, not just motoring. The trouble is that most people only know about the ledgislation that affects them.

I also feel I should make another point. Being a chemist by trade and having heard the argument for the global warming issue, I can say that the theory makes perfect sense. Most respected scientists now accept that mans actions are having a real effect on the environment and those that don't generally have some connection to the oil industry. I love cars and I love driving and when the internal combustion engine finally bites the dust I will shead a tear, but eventually it will have to be replaced.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 19:23

One thing that niggles me about 'green' driving....

Cheaper road tax on small engines cos they throw out less muck...

My 635, Turbo Supra, n/a Supra, Trans Am, Sunbird..and virtually every single car I have owned has been over the cheap tax limit by a very long way..but..

When tested for emissions they all come back 0% on the muck department.

On the other hand, I have seen Micra's and Metro's coughing out more muck than the average herd of cows...

Its not entirely down to the cc of the engine or how 'green' its designed...

Its down to good old fashioned maintenance in most cases.  Every car or motor vehicle is capable of being 'green' if looked after correctly and driven responsibly.

Cheap road tax should be given to those with cars who consistantly give 0% muck readings on emission tests, whether it be at MOT or roadside checkpoint.  Might encourage people to be a bit more careful about how they look after their vehicle.

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2004 at 20:19

Peter

Fancy writing an article for the club mag on this subject ?

I'm sure it would make interesting reading.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic