FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 on 17 inch alloys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 on 17 inch alloys
    Posted: 23-February-2003 at 21:47
I hope somebody can answer a couple of questions for me! I've just fitted 17inch Alpina replica's with 205/40 17 tyres and just want to check a couple of things. At the moment the tyre pressures are the same as the standard 205/55 15 previously fitted, i.e factory recommended pressures, is this correct or is an adjustment required to compensate? Also does the change of wheels affect the speedo reading in any way?

Cheers

Steve

Retro is the way forward.....
Sponsored Links

Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2003 at 22:09

No idea about the pressures, sorry.

The rolling circumference of the E30s standard fit tyres ranges from 1.89m for the 175/70x14 to 1.91m for the 205/55x15. Your 205/40x17 tyres have a rolling circumference of 1.87m, so they are slightly smaller than the standard fit tyres (speedo will over-read). The effect should be minimal though - the difference to the smallest standard tyre is only the same as the difference between the smallest and the largest standard tyres.

Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
Slatz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2003 at 21:25

Re the tyre pressures.

I've just fitted the same wheel/tyre combo as you, while my son has been running an Astra (I really must get round to giving him a slap for that) on the same size wheel & tyre combo with standard pressures.

I happened to look at his tyres at the weekend and the centre of the tread has worn faster than the outer edges (done about 15k miles) which points to overinflation.  Thinking about it logically, with the same vehicle weight, the bigger the footprint of the tyre, the lower the pressure should be.

I've had a chat with a couple of mates in the racing world and they agree with me.  As a result, I've dropped the pressures on mine by 2psi from standard all round (now at 26 front-27 rear).

It may not sound much, but I know from first hand experience that it will make a hell of a difference.

It's now just a matter of keeping a close eye on them.

Hope this helps Steve.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2003 at 16:54

With bigger tyres like this you will have to run higher pressures as the sidewalls will be carrying proportionally more of the weight of the car.

The contact patch does NOT change appreciably with a change in tyre size. It depends mostly on the weight of the car and the tyre pressure (which is supporting the weight, Pressure = Force x Area). Note the racing tyres are designed to run at much lower pressures and will also heat up to greater temperatures in use so can't be used as a comparison.

With these big wheels and tyres, the suspension will have to work harder to control them. If the springs are shorter than stock then you are into camber changes too - especially on E30's.

I run 205/55/15 with 37psi front and 33psi rear. This gives even wear of the thread with my style of driving. You will have to check with a verniers and adjust over the lifetime of the tyre to get your own accurate pressures.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2003 at 17:00

BTW, 325SME, your tyres are ~10mm smaller in diameter than before - but the difference is small enough.

If it was bigger, you may have fractionally better in gear accelaration, higher revs for a given speed and worse fuel economy

325SME View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2003 at 20:38
Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll keep the pressures standard for a week or so and maybe trying some slight adjustments then.

Steve

Retro is the way forward.....
Slatz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2003 at 21:44

Well boys & girls; b318isp really told me didn't he?

Sorry mate, but I found your post to be a little on the harsh side so I think it only fair that I respond in order to ask for some clarification and clear up a couple of points.

1/  If the vehicle weight doesn't change, how can the sidewalls of the tyres carry proportionally more weight?

2/  Wider tyres will give you a bigger contact patch.  It may not be a huge difference but it's a physical fact none the less, otherwise what's the point in fitting them and has the motor racing fraternity got it so wrong for all these years?.   

3/  I believe you may have misread the formula that you quoted.  I think the one you are thinking of is Pressure = Force over Area (at least that's the one shown to me in the SI Units book for Mechanical Engineers).

Using that formula,  where: P = the pressure exerted by the tyre upon the ground at any point within the footprint of the tyre,  F = weight of the vehicle and A = the footprint or contact patch upon the ground.

Assume for this exercise that a tyre has a footprint of 100mm along the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and that footprint areas are perfectly rectangular (I know they are not, but it's easier to show the calculation in this example than an eliptical shape).  Assume also that the vehicle is perfectly balanced, with an even weight distribution of 700lbs at each of the four wheels (total 2800lbs).

With a 195 tyre, the equation would read,  P = 700 (195 x 100)    

Convert the metric units to imperial and P = 700 (7.677 x 3.937)

P = 700  30.224 sq ins   therefore P = 23.160 lbs/sq in 

With a 205 tyre, the equation would read,  P = 700 (205 x 100)    

Convert the metric units to imperial and P = 700 (8.071 x 3.937)

P = 700  31.775 sq ins   therefore P = 22.029 lbs/sq in 

The bigger the contact area, the lower the pressure on the ground.  Fact.

4/  Racing tyres are not designed to run at much lower pressures than car tyres.  The pressure is dependant on many variables (type of surface, track temp, air temp, track shape, driving style, atmospheric pressure, moisture content of the nitrogen used to inflate them, etc, etc) and these pressures can be anywhere between 15 and 40psi.

I mentioned racing merely to illustrate that people with a much greater understanding of how tyres work, agreed with my theory!  It was not meant to be taken as a literal comparison. 

I'm not trying to belittle you here mate, because you do have a valid point to make.  Let's keep it friendly, eh? 

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2003 at 22:59
My old Tech college course tutor always told us about pressure being force over area by using the analogy of a realy large woman wearing stilletos standing on your foot.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic