Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lozlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat battery warning on e34
    Posted: 08-August-2003 at 04:57

Yep, the ski hatch is kinda small !

The only key I got with the car has  "S" stamped on it, so I'm guessing it's not the master key. and that's why the unlocking procedure won't work. I deadlocked the car, so now even my kid can't pull the door pins up. Last resort, try the wire in the rear light and pray nothing fries !! It's such a pain as I bought the car for weekend use. One consolation, it's gonna be hard to nick !

Jakarta M5
Sponsored Links

dayz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2003 at 11:51
Shame the door key won't unlock it - mine seemed to unlock fine with the key when the battery was flat and I had to do that plenty of times - even more of a pain since I usually had deadlocked the car and had to lift the battery through the drivers door since it was the only one that I could open!

I think in the boot of mine the the ski bag is covered by a hard plastic cover, there's no other trim as such- wouldn't do me much good as I doubt I'd fit through it though!
lozlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2003 at 16:12

Thanks for the tip. Will try checking the fuses once I get it open and started again! I'm still locked out and have tried the unlocking procedure, but to no avail. The passenger side (left door) door pins moves slightly, but won't lift all the way. The driver's side doesn't do anything.

The method I use is to get my kid to crawl thru the ski hatch. There's no trim on the back of the rear seat inside the boot, so is it missing or it's supposed to be like that?

Jakarta M5
dayz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2003 at 17:30
Had something very similar on my M5, my battery would stay up for about a week - not fixed it yet but I traced to the windscreen wiper tensioning system and headlamp washers. I've pulled the fuse for now (it was either 22 or 24 - can't remember which), and it's fine if left for 2-3 weeks.

Only way to be sure where the problem is, is to get a multimeter and measure the current draw with the car locked an alarmed. I was getting a drain of 0.35 amps, but with offending fuse pulled this dropped to 0.05 or so which seems about right for the alarm and diodes in the alternator. If pulling the fuses doesn't give you an obvious clue, try disconnecting the alternator too.

Hope this helps.

lozlee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2003 at 16:41
I've just bought a 1990 M5 and as I took the keys, the previous owner told me about the battery going flat if left for 2 days or more with the doors locked. He used to keep the car unlocked to avoid this problem. Does anybody know why my battery drains so quickly when the doors are locked? It's a new battery and I've done the usual checks for interior lights being on.
Jakarta M5
casper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2003 at 14:57
Thanks for all your replies very useful info, i'm sure i'll get it sorted out now.
JMac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2003 at 21:23

Unlocking procedure:

1. Insert the master key into the front right door.
2. Pull up the door handle.
3. Turn the key counterclockwise to emergency unlock position 1.
4. Open the door.
5. Close doors and turn the right front door lock to the synchronize position 5.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2003 at 19:23

The passenger door will probably be the drivers door on right hand drive models !!

It was the drivers door the aa chap got into on mine

Best Wishes

Nigel

bmwfive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2003 at 00:54

I used to own a 1991 520 E34. The same problem happened to me. After returning home from a weeks holiday, my car was securely locked up in the garage.The battery for some reason had gone flat and I was unable to unlock any doors. I new the handbook method was to open the passenger door, but this didn't work.Only one thing was left, phone the BMW emergency service. They arrived promptly, but the first problem was to get the car out of a tight garage.This was done by jacking up the rear wheels thus overcoming the handbrake.And then by magic he opened the bonnet release and jump leads powered up the systems.  I never found out what caused the battery failure but obviously the design was a lot to be desired.

Steve W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2003 at 18:10

Hosted for West

Steve W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2003 at 18:05

You need to upload that picture to some webspace for it to work.

If you send it to me by email I'll stick it up on mine if you like.

mailto:steve@v6cav.co.uk

west View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2003 at 14:15

I found this diagram showing how to access the car with a dead battery.

1. insert your key into the passenger's side door
2. lift and hold up on the handle while turning the key to the emergency unlock position (see pic)

Wonkydog View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2003 at 20:37
I must be the lucky one, my battery went flat over christmas- car not used, looking for a buyer, just bought an M3. The drivers door lock operated normally so I could get in, but obviously no juice to operate the lock motors for the other doors. Once I had jump started the battery all was fine.
west View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2003 at 12:07

I did try loads of different combinations of handle lifting and key turning to try and get in, although it was done more out of frustration than actually thinking it would open the door !

If my battery goes again though I will try it and see !

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2003 at 08:36
Thanks Sid, I'd seen a few posts on here about being locked out with a flat battery, and had always wished I'd taken more notice of what the AA chap was doing
Best Wishes

Nigel

sid540 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2003 at 22:39
Will back you up on that one, had flat battery on a 1990 520. phoned local bmw dealer and was told how to unlock the car with the dead locks on. Lift the drivers door handle up as hard as you can and the turn the key all the way to the left then the right, the key will be very stiff to turn and the door should open. After you are in and the battery is charged up you have to operate the door locks a couple of times to get the locks to operate together again correctly. Its along time since I had to do this, so this is all from memory. hope this might help someone.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2003 at 22:09

When I flattened my battery, the nice man from the aa held the handle in a funny position and unlovked it with the key!!

I dont know how he did it, and I cant recreate it, but I actually saw him do it

Best Wishes

Nigel

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2003 at 19:59
When I bought mine I fried a fuse while installing my stereo (connected it up with the ignition on). As I was hunting for the fault (took 2 days btw as I thought I duffed the alarm,remote plipper wouldn't work and the hazard lights would flash if the ignition wasn't on)I was disconnecting the battery while leaving the car unattened, yes the central locking wouldn't work obviously but i could still lock the drivers door with the key.
west View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2003 at 12:40

Hi all,

I'm sure someone has already posted a message like this and no doubt a few of you have probably experienced the same problem  - either way its worth mentioning again!

The battery went flat on my e34 on Friday and as the locking mechanisms are all servo controlled if the battery dies you aint getting into your car ! (pretty silly design if ask me)

I called the AA out assuming they'd have to break into my car but what he did was pretty ingenious if not obvious in hindsight - he popped the boot (normal lock, no servo's) disconnected one of the boot lights to exposed the 2 connectors, placed a tiny loop of metal into one of them, connected the earth from his jump leads to the boot lock then connected to the live cable to the tiny loop of metal. And as if by magic we could unlock the car !

So, if your battery dies on the e34 you now know what to do!

(why it didnt fry the wiring loom though I have no idea !)

West

E34 525 sport

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic