Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do you think?? - E36 328i Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2004 at 10:31

Basically the 328 was restricted by means of a thinner bore branches etc on the inlet manifold. This is why in the specs it has the same power as the 325, but with more torque. This was apparently done to keep it in a lower tax band in Germany.

To release the extra 15-20bhp you swap the inlet manifold from a M50 engined 325 which has notibly larger inlet branches. There is a lad on here called Barf who has a proven 229bhp from this and a few other bits.

BUT! It isn't a straight swap as when BMW made the M52 engine (2.8), they changed the breathing arrangement oil/idle etc and fuel rail and other brackets differ. It is possible as a DIY job but quite involved.

But all is not lost as a Bloke called Ian (alpina527) does a modified inlet manifold kit which does bolt straight on! Plus he does big bore throttle bodies (which i haven't got yet!) to give some more poke.

You can get the mod'd manifold and BB bodies for the same price as a Superchip, but alot more power!

I wasn't going to mess with mine, but this mod is worth it for the price!

PS this mod is becoming popular and the manifolds are becoming scarce or over priced if you want one from a breakers. Ian has good contacts for sourcing them.

Edited by dave 328

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Sponsored Links

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2004 at 14:55

oooh sounds very tempting. Will have to see how funds are after i buy a car.

What sort of things should i be checking for ont he car? I know it's mint condition etc etc, but the Nikasil issue worries me. What can i check for this? Any other hints & tips?

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2004 at 15:19

Matt, many cars had their nikasil cylinder blocks replaced with ones fitted with steel liners. If you ring BMW Uk and ask for the customer service department then quote the chassis number they will be able to tell you if the car has had the work done. If it has then nothing to worry about. If it hasn't then you need to weigh up whether it is worth it or not. If the engine is still ok then it is unlikley to develop a problem know, but you never know. An engine that is starting to develop a problem will use oil and run a bit rough. If you do a search on the 3 series technical forum for Nikasil you will find plenty of info as this has been discussed at length.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2004 at 16:46
you must be getting worn out typing about nikasil pete...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 08:51

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

you must be getting worn out typing about nikasil pete...

I never get tired of helping fellow BMW owners! Big Smile 

....although I do seem to type the word Nikasil a lot.

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 14:33

Ok.. the engine doesnt use any oil or idle anything but dead smooth. I did speak to BMW about it this morning and they didnt have a clue what i was on about. Eventually someone said bore wash which i figured is what the Nikasil problem is.

With the car being on 72k and last serviced at 68k i'm thinking that it's shortly due a very expensive service too :(

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 14:52
Originally posted by MattB106 MattB106 wrote:

Ok.. the engine doesnt use any oil or idle anything but dead smooth. I did speak to BMW about it this morning and they didnt have a clue what i was on about. Eventually someone said bore wash which i figured is what the Nikasil problem is.

When you say you spoke to BMW, do you mean you spoke to a dealer or BMW UK. They should definately know what the Nikasil problem is, although dealers are more likely to play dumb. Diod you find out whether the car had had any work done with respect to nikasil?

With the car being on 72k and last serviced at 68k i'm thinking that it's shortly due a very expensive service too :(

Not necessarily, it depends on what the last service was. If it was an inspection 1 or 2 then it will just be due an oil service next which shouldn't be too expensive. It goes oil service , inspection 1, oil service, inspection 2, oil service, inspection 1 etc. The inspections are quite expensive especially the inspection 2.

barf View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 14:53

328 sport. THE best thing ive ever bought! cheaper to run than a m3 and dare i say nearly as quick! Dave is right, the old boston bus is pushing out 229 bhp at the moment and when funds allow would like to see over 240 bhp with a supersprint de-cat pipe and exhaust manifold along with some more ecu mods. the thing already hunts down 3.0 ltr m3's and can annoy e46 m3's, this puts the biggest smile on my face at bdd's

good luck with your new potential purchase!

Barf 

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 17:19
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

When you say you spoke to BMW, do you mean you spoke to a dealer or BMW UK. They should definately know what the Nikasil problem is, although dealers are more likely to play dumb. Diod you find out whether the car had had any work done with respect to nikasil

Not necessarily, it depends on what the last service was. If it was an inspection 1 or 2 then it will just be due an oil service next which shouldn't be too expensive. It goes oil service , inspection 1, oil service, inspection 2, oil service, inspection 1 etc. The inspections are quite expensive especially the inspection 2.

Will find out which service it has had over the weekend. The car has had no work regarding Nikasil, yet is perfect. I presume this means more than likely the danger has passed now petrol has imporved etc etc?

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 15:03

ok a little more about the car...

Apparently the air con has an intermitent on/off problem. I'm told it's a common fault?

The car is also nearly due for the Inspection 2 service whihc according to Dick Lovett BMW is well over £600!

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 15:14

£600 sounds a bit expensive. Try ringing round a few dealers. Some of them do charge a lot more than others. I was quoted £350+ by my local dealer for an inspection 2.

Don't know about the aircon, Youm could try posting the question on the 3 seriers tech forum. Aslo have you done a search I t may have been talked about before.

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 16:12

I've found some info on it now. BMW replace the control unit @ a cost of £200, but it can be fixed using a capcitor from Maplins apprently. hmm

Also the owner has reported some black smoke coming from thr car. All he does in it is crawl 3 miles through traffic though so i suspect it's jsut not being blow out the exhaust often enough until he boots it on the odd occassion. Could be a deeper problem though

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 16:27
Matt, befroe you hand over any of your hard earned cash it might be wise to have it inspected by a BMW dealer, just to be sure. The black smoke might just be because of the kind of driving the car is doing, but it could be something more sinister.
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 20:07
I was lookign at an AA check, but that's not a bad idea. The car doesnt do it now as the owners isnt doing that sort of driving.
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2004 at 08:45

The car doesnt do it now as the owners isnt doing that sort of driving.

That's reassuring. Sounds like it was just down to the driving. 

senny View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2004 at 12:44

i have a 328i sport..... i got an ins 2 done for 420. that was the total cost after a few extra things that needed doing.

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 07:56
I should just say i bought the car and it is totally mint! The owner is taking his private plate off now so i will pick it up in the next two weeks. Can't wait!
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 10:03

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 12:39
First public outing will be at Trax. Anyone else going?! I do have two track sessions booked, but not sure i will use them
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 12:52

Might be doing a trackday instead this year. Trax seems to be going off now - bit to samey.

Corsas and Saxos with mutant bodykits and Novas with 2 turbo engines - not as good now and can be too busy.

The nova did 2.9 secs to 60!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic