Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW X Power (4x4 BMWs)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedX3 Review on Top Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Topic: X3 Review on Top Gear
    Posted: 01-August-2004 at 23:51

Not that his opinion really matters, but Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the X3 this evening. He sung its praises for road use but gave it a scathing review when it went near muck. The thing got stuck on him twice! Trim was described as cheap and the rear windows were designed by someone whose hand slipped.

Has anyone driven it? Was he correct?

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2004 at 13:50

JC would get anything Stuck in Tesco,s Car park  if it proved his point-and showed his knowledge of the subject.

A few years ago, he did a group offroader prog, on a Muddy Hillside.All the School Run Specials got stuck , inc a Range rover.He was Pleased !!! and an old 40 year old Landie Defender, went up and pulled the others out.

SAFETYFAST
Zmurf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 08:37

I didn't see the programme but I have driven both the X3 and the X5 off-road.  They are both capable vehicles for limited off-road use, but I think BMW would be the first to agree that they are not intended primarily in that role. 

The trim materials are similar to those in the Z4.  BMW describes it as high quality.  I know they were concerned about the off-gassing of some plastics (which is what causes windscreen fogging).

Tim

JohnTee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 09:23

It seems to me that the motoring press have a downer on most things BMW these days - Autocar ran a test not long ago where the Freelander was deemed to be a better car than the X3.  I have driven both, and the X3 is an entirely different car!  The handling, refinement, quality of equipment etc. are in a different league to the Freelander, but because the Freelander was £8k cheaper, it got the nod.  Lest's see who's laughing in 3 years time when the Freelander's worthless!

As for Top Gear, if ever there was a programme that was desperate for a makeover, I think this is it.  Every week it seems to get worse - what was the Long jump article about?? Five minutes of pure boredom.  If Clarkson had seen the X3 for what it is (which is no Land Rover Defender), and concentrated on the handling (which he accepted was excellent) then the car would have received a far better analysis than that given.  It's off road capability would never have seen it complete the track Clarkson drove it up, but for "entertainment", and in order to see the X3 fail, that's what they showed. 

I have driven a 3.0 Sport, with the optional 18" wheels, and yes, the suspension is firm, but I would sooner have it firm than rolling around like a ship at sea (ala Freelander).  For a car that rides so much higher then the norm, it handles superbly.  It is fast and refined - the only downside for me is the fuel economy at mid to high teens.  Bring on the diesel!!

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 10:01

Jeremy Clarkson is to objective motoring journalism what Big brother is to high quality TV.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 21:04

After 2200 miles, the 3.0 is now returning over 27 mpg, obviously not off road.

Saw the Clarkson thing and I was gobsmacked he had the same conclusion as me, 'large sports saloon' handling.

Also knew he'd get "stuck in the rut" when off road.  Why didn't he bother driving out of the ruts, rather than in them???  I drove a lightweight 90 landie in the Falklands and you can get those stuck quite easily too, even with off road tyres etc., if you drive like a tw@!

Also seems they've all forgotten the Freelanders head blowing problems as well then.

I've taken several colleagues/friends out in the X3 and they all agree (perhaps too politely) that you'd have no idea it's a 4x4.  They're also shocked when you shove the loud pedal too.

Reasons I got one are for the space, range of capabilities (live in Yorkshire so we get a bit of snow/rain now and again), ASC/DSC/TSC (tow a box van for 2 karts), residuals, the (bodykitted) style - love it to bits and could go on forever.

Sorry to admit, Clarkson & BB both make me laugh on occasion.

Edited by StuB
Boost baby, BOOST!
alexwaddell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2004 at 09:23
I was also astonished that I was agreeing with JC at first - I've got a 2.5 SE X3 and it handles brilliantly on road. Having moved from a 325 coupe to this I was kind of expecting it to be very different - how wrong I was...

JC goes on and on about the off road capability and everyone is right that it's not really what it was designed for - on the other hand I'll quite happily smile and wave at my neighbours this winter when I'm cruising up our big hill when it's snowing heavily and they're struggling....that's what I bought the X3 for (along with the extra space and practically cavernous boot).

JC and the rest of TopGear are all about knocking cars that are not their favourites - let them do it after all JC bought a GT40 that he can almost get into, unless of course it's in a car park then he's got no chance.

I knew straight away that when he was driving the x3 3.0 Sport that he would criticise the suspension - I test drove it and the 2.5 SE and went for the one with the lesser engine - I like the BMW manual gearbox...

BMW have built a great car, we love it - that's what matters, not what a bitter TV journalist thinks!

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...
brynt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2004 at 17:33
I watched the Top Gear feature and found it amusing, i mean, i drive a lot of Landrovers off road in my line of work and i would be very dubious about doing some of the things they were (it is very embarrassing getting stuck especially having trained as an off road driver Joker Joker) . One things for sure, it has not put me off buying one and i can't wait to take delivery of mine in two weeks.

As for comparing it against the Freelander, well that's just crazy  I am selling my Freelander TD4 for the 3.0l X3 Sport as i have found the drive to be far too soft in the corners and far too slow on acceleration. The X3 address's both of these and also offers a higher degree of comfort.

I for one didn't pay the extortionate stealer's price for the full sports body kit to ruin it by taking it off road!! even if it was driven properly out of the ruts  I personally am going to be more worried about the first stone chip on the mystic blue paintwork Rolling Eyes 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic