Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĂ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs this a record!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a record!!!!!
    Posted: 05-August-2004 at 16:46

Just had the car serviced and had a K&N filter (Not induction) installed to replace the original filter. Had some long runs to do this week and was giving the car a minor canning enjoying the warm weather we have finally been waiting all summer for. The majority of the driving was on motorways or fast A roads, but i was cruising at relativerly high speeds. I don't really want to mention the exact numbers, but lets just say enough to get you in a little bit of trouble if you were court. Anyway filled the car up yesterday with optimax and worked out the fuel consumption. Managed to get 31.6MPG. Now i recken if i had driven the car like a girl i could of got around 35mpg cruising at say 70mph and the figures seem to be a good 2.5mpg better as a result of the new filter.

Just though i would share my little anececdote. By the way the car is otherwise standard in the engine compartment and has a manual 5 speed gearbox.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Sponsored Links

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 18:08

-maybe it was running a tad rich before- usually fitting a K&N weakens the mixture slightly....

-just shows the car is designed to work properly at that speed.... I've similarly averaged 30mpg  over a 500mile weekend, although brimming the tank on my car to make absolutely sure seems rather difficult on my car for some reason- the last bit of fuel takes forever to get in the tank.

-do you think the K&N worth any bhp on your '6'?

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Mango View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 19:13

James

I remember saying to you (at the last but one meet) that it made a difference on the CSL.....somewhat embarassed at the time...

Obviously liable to be laughed at saying things like this in public but I really do think it helped smooth out a flat-ish spot and let the engine breath better.

Of course the filtering ability and long term effects are another thing...

Magnus

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic