Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 roof bars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 roof bars
    Posted: 09-August-2004 at 11:08

Apologies if it's been done before but a quick search yielded nowt.

I'm looking for some roof bars for my E39, 97' 528i SE. Google showed that Thule do some that attach to the roof fixing points - are these any good? Do BMW still do their own roof bars and fixings for the E39? What about roof bars that don't use the fixing points - are they better or worse?

Any tales of woe, advice or suggestions on types and shops gratefully received. In particular if someone has a set of good bars and fixings the technical specs would be appreciated so I can order the right bits.

Stone

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 11:22

I went looking for some recently and most of the aftermarket ones seemed to 'grab' the paintwork in some way so I didn't touch them. In the end I bought BMWs for approx €180 (£120 guesstimate). The price was much the same as aftermarket jobbies also. These sit in the special channels on a piece of supplied plastic. There should also be an allan key to unlock them - this is coded (like alloy locking nuts) so make sure you get that also. Easy to fit.

I saw some on ebay recently (see these 2 links):-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10374&item=2486241557&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10374&item=2486625866&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Jimbo540i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 12:52

I use a Thule combination.  I brought them from my local Halfords.  They come in a variety of fittings - you get the bars (chice of square or aero profile) + the relevent 'foot' pack.  My foot pack fits into the opening on my roof trim and screws in with the allan key - then I have a Thule Velovise bike bit that simply attaches to the roof bars, there are a variety of designs, I got the one that you attach the forks to after romoving the front wheel which sits in its own little holder.  The part numbers I know of are:

Thule VeloVise 511 (bike bit) - the footpack and rails I'm not sure on but because I was spending so much the guy came out and helped me fit them.

Jimbo
540i Auto
Stone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2004 at 23:49

Thanks for the links & info lads.

Halfords in Edinburgh:

Thule foot pack for BMW E39 5 series roof fittings £49.99

Thule aluminium aero bars £59.99

Anyone know if Thule bars can be had cheaper from elswhere and also if the BMW bars are available new anywhere (I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to e-bay).

T

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic