FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNikasil Repair Kit for 6 Cylinder Engines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 08:26

Hi Everyone,

The latest is that I took my 320i to David Prentice to have a compression test done and it failed. They asked BMW for a goodwill contribution and they came back to say that they'd give a 100% contribution as a sign of goodwill

Needless to say I'm delighted and just a word of thanks to all who replied with suggestions or views with regard to this topic.

Thanks again,

Mac

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 08:32

so in short, you developed premature engine wear (caused by the Nikasil issue) which had FSH. BMW Ireland would not help you. Your "Approved Used Warranty" was of absolutely no use.

Going to a 'foreign' dealer sorts it out. Madness!

By the way - fair play to you!

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 08:39
Originally posted by Mac Mac wrote:

It was then I went back to the dealer where I bought the car.... I told them of the bore wear problem and thry seemed very sceptical about it....

It was then that the complaint arose so if that's within 3 months you're in with a shot, to be honest it's probably still worth contacting them and cc'ing the dealer & BMW Irl as that may prompt a response

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
318is-joe View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 08:44

This is ridiculous, Anyone notice how hard the sales guy's try to get you to take this "useless" approved used car warrenty in Ireland.

I had the drop links done in my last car "under warrenty" same thing, sent an invoice, I sent it back, sent an invoice, i sent it back again, quoting the "approved used car warrenty" refused outright to pay it.

They gave up in the end.

Just wondering should this differring tale of cross border practices be told to SIMI, BMW GMBH, and anyone else who would care to listen, and fry the dealers here, somebody is on the take!

Make you wonder if BMW Ireland get approval for a replacement job on a VIN, they communicate out to you and me that it was not approved and charge the parent company the parts and rates to carry out the job, Meanwhile your stuck with nowhere to turn.

Edited by kbannon
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 09:11
score!!

I would suggest however that you send a letter to the Head of BMW Ire stating what the problem was, that it was fixed by BMW UK and copy the head of BMW in Germany in on it as well. Ask him why you had to go to BMW UK to resolve the problem!!
Mac View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 09:15

Thanks Lads,

I wont be writing to anyone just yet until I get the job done. 

Mac.

Edited by Mac
Regards
Mac
Current Drives:
1992 E30 325i Cab
2004 E46 318ci M-Sport

Previous: 1997 E36 320i Saloon
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 09:26

Mac

Well done, the perseverence has paid off!  Pity is that you had to jump through so many hoops in what should have been a cut and dried case.  I'd been meaning to e-mail you on progress since I got back from holliers at the weekend.  How did you get on with the chap at the IT?  Missed a couple of editions, so don't know if he published anything.  Its ironic that the problem has been solved by a dealer who has had no involvment with your car in its life (or responsibility) while the dealers that have been involved with it have clung so hard to the fence they have been sitting on.

Mac's experience of the Approved Used scheme and warranty should serve as a warning to anyone here not to be complacent in the reassurance that can be taken from the AUC scheme here and see throught e sales patter.  Even though BMW Irl is wholly owned by BMW UK, it seems that they do not have the same enlightened attitude towards customer service that the dealers in the UK have (I know many UK readers of this may disagree about enlightenment, but its a relative thing).

Experiences like Mac's dent the reputation of BMW and the perceived quality of the brand in Ireland - would you blame him for not buying another and/or could you see him paying the over the odds price for another AUC?

The design direction of BMW today has given rise to much and heated debate on the forum and there have been more and more posts that question the engineering quality and reliability of the technologies and materials being used in the newer cars.  The dealer and customer service attitude may become a more critical part of why people buy BMW's in future.  If the attitude is apathetic at dealers and distributors (as this example shows), then people will start voting with their feet.  What you've got then is a Ryanair approach to customer service without the corresponding low fares.  I'm not an MBA, but this doesn't seem like a viable business model in the long run.

Hopefully someone from BMW keeps an eye on this forum.  If so, heed the message.  You've got a significant organization problem.  Get it sorted or your business will suffer.  It may be masked by the growth in volume with models like the MINI and 1 series, but  sooner or later it'll hurt your business and the bottom line.

Now that I've finished this little rant, I've got a soap box for sale that hasn't been stood on too often if anyone wants it!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2004 at 12:37
@dergside

well said!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic