FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZ3 Airbag light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z3 Airbag light
    Posted: 12-August-2004 at 12:48

Just bought a T plate Z3 2.8 at the weekend (it has done 45K). Yesterday the airbag light came on and has remained on. Is it a common fault? Any recalls?

I will check the connection (carefully!) on the wheel and seat belts. How do you know if it has side (door) airbags? Are they std?

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Sponsored Links

Z3_Tony View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2004 at 17:22

Dave

it is a common fault on the Z3, usually caused by a faulty connection on the seat belt tensioners. The connection is at the rear of the seat and is a yellow 3 pin plug and socket. Pull it apart and spray both with contact cleaner, then reassemble. You will need to get the airbag light reset however. The SirVIII reset tool from eurocar parts will do this.

I doubt the 2.8 would have side airbags as they did not come along till later cars.

For a point of referance on all things Z sign up on www.zroadster.net and I'm sure you will find out most of your answers to any queries you might have on there.

Tony

Committee member South East Region.
Z Register Events organiser
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2004 at 17:32

Cheers!

I thought it might be a dodgy connection. How much is the rest tool thing - I have the service one. Or how much do BM charge for a reset.

Could be related but, my gf said the roof where it meets the A-post was dribbling in with water when we had the heavy rain the other day and the seat got wet.

I shall have a look!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Z3_Tony View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2004 at 06:51

the reset tool was about £99 from euro car parts. i'm not sure how much a dealer would charge to reset it, as I used to use an indipendant for resetting things like that. they never used to charge for just resetting the light

With regards to the roof leak, firstly get yourself some gummipledge rubber treatment from your local dealers, and just check that all the rubbers fit correctly round the roof, I had the same problem on my first Z just worked the rubber towards the front so it sealed had no problems after that.

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2004 at 11:04

Had a look on the Zroadster forum and found that Gummi bear stuff. Going to check/clean connections and go to the dealer tomorrow for some other bits and ask nicely for a reset. I have had some bits and bobs from them free, so I'm sure a couple of minutes job shouldn't be too much of a problem, even if they do charge.

I'll register on the Z forum soon.

Also is it true that if you have 2 or 3 bars left on the service indicator, the engine has the power reduced (feels like -15 to 20%)? I read this briefly on the Z forum. It does seem to ring true, as when I bought my 328 it was in need of a service (yellow light) and I thought the performance wasn't very good. then after a service, using optimax fuel, sports filter, it felt loads better, I thought it was due to the fuel and small mods. Also before we bought the Z3, I test drove another and this too was in need of a service and also felt slow! as if the handbrake was applied slightly. The Z we bought on the test drive felt nearly as fast as my coupe (my coupe has the derestricted inlet so has more power) and this has 4 green bars left - so it must have something to do with it.

Z3_Tony View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2004 at 16:16

The service indicators could well do as you say Dave, I must admit I have not really noticed it on my M Roadster even though there is only 1 light left on. It still went quickly round the ring last week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic