Forum LockedClimate/Air Con Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Climate/Air Con Problem
    Posted: 16-August-2004 at 09:21

Help!

It's hot outside and I'm suddenly not getting any chilled air from my 1997 E39 535i!

Is there anything obvious I can check myself before taking it to a garage/air con place?

The light comes on when I push the air con button, the revs rise slightly to cater for it but I don't know whether the compressor is running.

What's it likely to be? Needs regassing? Refridgerant? Electrical failure? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 10:19

Cany tell you except maybe the gas has leaked--my E39 520i SE has a strange noise when idling and I turn the ac on. Does anyone know what it is. I am assuming the compessor is noisey--any help?

Thanks

Philip
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 12:32
Rob : If the compressor is working you should be able to see the centre part spinning when/if the clutch engages.

Philip : Have you had any work done on you AC system ? If so it may be that you are low on AC oil. Or could it be the belt slipping slightly ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 13:13

e34m5

I havent had any work done on the AC myself but who knows what was done BP. ( Before Phillip!) Can I check/fill with oil myself or is that not possible?

Cheers

Philip
Jimbonic View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 14:06
It might need re-gassing - see Jasperhappy's post.  This is the most likely, as it needs doing every few years.
Jimbonic
1989 535iSE Manual, Sport pack, Leather, Climate Control
525IX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2004 at 14:22

If you have a grumbling compressor (Sounds like a low rumble) then your bearings could be worn, which is sadly a new / reman compressor, system flush and new drier, but these compressors can grumble on for years. The main reason for worn bearings would be lack of lubrication caused by lack of refrigerant (Lubricant is carried by the refrigerant)

The compressor can also become noisey if the aux fan is not working, causing the system to be under much higher pressure than it should be

Technically speaking the lubricant used in automotive a/c is not an oil but is a Glycol based lubricant (PAG), the refrigerant used in modern cars will not carry mineral lubricants

Edited by 525IX
Jimbo540i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 10:23
Another source of this noise could be your auxilliary belt.  My e39(540) makes a screeaching rumble noise (can you upload wav sound files to this page I wonder? would make the diagnosis of these noises much easier!).  First I thought it was my gearbox as it happened in D or R.  Then I noticed it would happen with the a/c on.  I now think the belt is loose or something, seems to happen when the engine is under just a little extra load.  Car is in for Oil Service today - getting the tech to look at the belts/renew if neccessary.  But worth a look for you!
Jimbo
540i Auto
jasperhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 00:19

almost certain that it needs regassing........if your garage is honest they can cofirm this........just had mine done and it cost £60 and now works perfectly.....apparently needs doing about every 2 years and also if it needs it ,it should be done as soon as possible......tell you what ,it aint very often that i can be of help so that will be £6.75 please lol .....jasper

[img]http://jasphotos[/img/
RobIpswich View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2004 at 09:07

Pleased  to inform you that a regas resolved my warm air problem, without too much expense  (£50+vat).  Lovely and cold now.

Your help was much appreciated!  Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic