Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHello - Help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello - Help needed
    Posted: 17-August-2004 at 16:22

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice. 

At the start of June I bought a 91 520i with 102K on the clock.  I'd love to say that my first experience with BMW's was an enjoyable one but unfortunatly it was far from that.  I had the car less than a week when the water pump went.. ..and along with that - the head gasket. 

Now one skimmed head a new gasket and a whole lotta money later I'm back on the road again.  I have a few problems that I need to iron out but at this stage I can't afford to spend any more money on her so I'm hoping to be able to do them myself.  So here is my current snag list - if anyone has any ideas or suggestions then I'd be very grateful.

1.  Front passenger door is locked shut. I have been reliably informed that this is due to a siezed central locking motor.  I have found countless guides on the internet on how to remove the trim and change the motor - only problem is that all of these guides assume that the door is open.  Does anybody know how to go about opening the door - or even some way of removing the door trim while its shut.

2.   Heat stuck on.  The heater is stuck on constantly.   Even when the actual fan is off and the heat controls are set to cold - hot air is still blowing through the vents.

3.   Ignition Noise.  Sometimes when I turn the ignition on there is a grating noise coming from somewhere in the engine.

4.   Digital Milometer is very choosy about when it wants to work.  Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it only wants to display certain digits.

And one final question - Since the car overheated I seem to have a small radiator leak.. ..is it okay to put something like radweld into it the radiator to fix it??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 16:44
Welcome to the Forums Ronnie, i'll try to answer your questions...

1) Have you tried the emergency unlock procedure ? Put the key in the passenger side door lock, hold the Door handle up and turn the key past the normal unlock position to the emergency unlock position.

2)Sounds like the heater contol valves are stuck, with the car running and the heater control set to cold give the heater control valves a tap with a hammer (they are in the engine compartment on the passenger side just below the windscreen)

3)Not sure about this one, in which position of the ignition key does the noise happen ?

4)Sounds like you need a new display or could it be the bulb behind the display which is faulty ?

As for the radiator i would not recommend putting radweld in it, a new radiator shouldn't cost that much from Eurocarparts or GSF Car parts.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2004 at 20:22
hi Q,no3 is it a grating sound you can hear or a small motor running? is the engine not running when you hear this. 

Edited by b8alk
RonnieB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 09:32

Thanks for your suggestions e34m5

I tried the emergency unlock proceedure - no luck.

Are the heater valves two small cylinders that sit above the brake servo?  I don't want to go around randomly banging things with a hammer until i am sure I have the right things.

For question number 3 - yes it could be a small motor running - it sounds very sick though and it only happens now and then.  I hear it only when I turn the ignition on - before I start the car.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 10:13
Here is a picture of the heater valves just to make sure we are talking about the same thing :

I wonder if the motor noise is the wiper pressure control as discussed in another thread ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 11:29

Hi.

Welcome to E34 ownership!

(You will soon be asking about changing the headlights or bulbs)

Do a search on my posts, or "Heater Control Valves" for a full breakdown on mending the heater valves. 

The noise is the fuel control valve is it not?  Can you hear it from inside the cabin?  If so, then it isn't the valve.  I dunno, then.

Are you sure its coming from the Engine bay?  The fuel pump is often heard on older BMW's, once the lump is running you can't hear it.

The door, it is almost certainly going to be the solenoid inside the door that has decided to break in the lock position.  I assume you have played endlessly with the passenger door button (Up and down) to no avail.  I reckon you could get the trim off from inside the car, or at least enough to bend it a bit to get your hands in and fumble.  You will have to put the seat right down obviously.

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
RonnieB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 17:34

Thanks!

I'll have a stab at cleaning the heater control valves out - seems like a better way to go about things than just banging them randomly with a hammer. 

As for the noise - it can be heard very clearly from inside the cabin - I doubt very much if its the fuel pump.  It could possibly be the wiper pressure control but if it was that why would it only make that noise at times?

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2004 at 18:29

hi again got cut short yesterday, yes it is proberly wiper pressure control i can only hear it some times in my e34 as well, why only some times i dont know but its nothing to worry about as far as i know mine has made that noise for as long as i can remember (years)

as for the door you should still be able to unlock it as miles has explained even if the motor has packed up you do have to turn the key quite hard though.

Edited by b8alk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic