Forum LockedIrish Region Committee Feedback required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 04:58
Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

a handful of non committe members who organise stuff (i.e Richie, Killian etc)

are you saying Killian is NOT on the committee???? WTF? If he isnt WHO IS?????

Seriously - who is?

If i was a total "objective" outsider I would guess that the committee members were Killian, Niall & Richie. If that isnt the case - that should be the case.
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 05:00
Neither myself or Niall are on any comittee. I think Killian,Brendan Purcell and Kevin Barry are on the comittee
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 05:03
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Maybe 80+% of the membership of the region don't attend the events, meetings (car and AGM's), etc

Thats an interesting point and asks the question...What are they in the club for then??? Surely they aren't in it for the magazine alone??
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 05:19
Imo 99% of the people who attend events are

1. the same people
2. use this forum regularly
3. are car club members

For all events mailshots are sent around to all club members. So even if they dont have internet access they are still aware. And as has been proven time and time again, they dont turn up. Why I dont know but I would be more than confident that a properly focussed committe could concentrate on rectifying that problem.

Edited by Eamo
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 05:22
Originally posted by llatsni llatsni wrote:

Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

a handful of non committe members who organise stuff (i.e Richie, Killian etc)

If i was a total "objective" outsider I would guess that the committee members were Killian, Niall & Richie. If that isnt the case - that should be the case.

I would agree. And I would also like to see Fey and Dergside involved on the committee (thats if they wanted to of course!)
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 05:40

Richie, I don't know the answer, but its clear that the club activities as it stands (whether that be the formal or informal club) aren't compelling enough to involve themselves in.

I'd hazard a guess that some of those members are here because they have access to technical knowledge, resources and discounts, etc. that helps them enjoy their cars.  Look at the number of Irish cars that have featured in BMW Car mag and Total BMW in recent months.  The owners are nearly all club members to my knowledge and yet, despite their obvious interest in BMW's, they don't feel that the environment in the club is worth being actively involved in.  There may be some blame for that that can go back to the committee, but, as members, we all have to accept some responsibility.

Eamo, I disagree to some extent with the view that the committee must change before the views of the members can be gathered.  That might be putting the cart before the horse.  When the views of the wider membership have been gathered and analysed, THEN a structure (committee, etc.) that can represent and develop the wishes of the majority of members can be put in place.  This SHOULD include current committee members if they have an interest in continuing, for the sake of continuity and so that we can tap in to the experience and knowledge of these members.

There may be changes needed, but remember that the current committee is the one that has gotten the club to a point where many of us, as individuals, were interested to join.

A slight aside, but relevent nonetheless, was a comment from Killian was about the number of members that haven't renewed.  It would be worth gathering their feedback too to understand why, especially if its true that a significant number were northern.  The activities (with the exception of the trip north during the summer) are primarily focused on the south and midlands and this does exclude a lot of people.

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 06:21
Having watched the growth of the club for a few years now - and tried different approaches, I have a few thoughts on the matter.

What has worked best is a team approach with some designated duties. Last year we made inroads on this (which superceded any formal committee) and I think it has shown to be more successful than before as it opens the co-ordination of the club to a much broader group of people.

Some of these areas are:

PR Officer
BMW Ireland Ltd. liasons
Journal editor
Various event co-ordinators
Webmaster

Regarding attendances, every trick in the book has been tried. We did surveys a few years ago. The top events voted for were held - sometimes with good and sometimes with not-so-good turnout. The fact of the matter is that with a membership of 250+ people in all corners of the country, it is only realistic to expect turnouts of 5-15%. Its the same for many other clubs. Moreover, it is unfortunate that there seems to be minimal north-south of the border interaction, so really we are only looking at about 125 members.

Mondello and main dealer show & shines are always the biggest draw as people either want to drive fast or show off their pride & joy. Other events have minimal interest.

We have always had a surplus of suggestions for events, but must select a few that give the best returns. The more varied the number of events or the more often we have them, actually dilutes attendances - especially with the relatively small size of the membership. If we look to the BMW bike club, they have over 400 members in the republic - and can have subsequently broader and better represented events.

Until we have a bigger membership - related to a more (publically) visible club we are barking up the wrong tree. In reality, the club means little to Joe Public, BMW Ireland nor any of the BMW dealers. If anything, this is where to put extra focus.

Finally, I would also say that it takes a lot of effort to organise thing. People like Eamo, Ger, Niall, Killian, etc. have put a lot of effort into events and group buys which often have very variable participation. It is easy to forget or underappreciate the time demands from various individuals - one of the reasons we developed event co-ordinators. Killian and I cover a lot of the behind-the-scenes work too (enquiries, communication, sorting out problems, dealing with various member demands, mediating, executing club policies, etc.) that can suck up lots of time.
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 11:23

I'd be interested to see the proportion of forum users to actual club members. If it wasn't for the trackday, I reckon a significant portion of people wouldn't join the club. And many join just for those 2 events. However, in the bigger picture of what is being discussed, that's neither here nor there.

In terms of increasing profile, I think the show & shine at Duffys was a brilliant piece of work in both drumming up internal interest within the club for a non-trackday event, and raising the clubs profile on a dealer and Joe-Public level. Perhaps a way of keeping growing the club profile would be to have a simple A5 flier with all new and 2ndhand cars sold by co-operative BMW dealers; this can profile the club, its benefits, the forum, activities etc..

As mentioned above, the turnouts for alot of events isn't great. We need to figure what works, what doesn't, and focus on maximising the events that show potential. What we need is more feedback and involvement from everyone to contribute and attend.

Movingto the commitee itself, from the IRL section contacts, it stands as:

Irish Section Club Contacts
Kevin Barry Chairman 087 2581913 (m)
Brendan Purcell Secretary 01 2169227 (w)
01 8258474 (h)
Steve Allan NI Co-ordinator 02890 299371 (h)
Jim Magee NI Co-ordinator 02892 628628(h)
Gerard O'Connor Treasurer 086 2659211 (m)
Killian Bannon Webmaster 087 7992735 (m)

To have gotten the club to where it is now, those involved should take a bow. But as Bertie would say "alot done, more to do"

Is there much happening in the N.I. area? Can we have more cross-border events? Are people interested in them? Should it be Jim and Allan, in their capacity of N.I. co-ordinators, following up on interest shown in a BMWclub BDD event in Kirkistown, and not Ludo?

Is Kevin still involved in a chairman capacity? Does he still want to be? I see Brendan you are now Irish Region Club editor - I assume you are still secretary though? (and if ya are, how come you don't wear a skirt at any events I've been at? ).

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 12:08
Just to correct you TJ - the show and shine was held in Capital Cars in Tullamore
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 12:23

Eamon. No need to correct T.J.  He was referring to the previous Show and Shine/Concours at Joe Duffy's. The first Show and Shine at Motor Imports in 2002 was also a well attended event.

Thanks Eamon for continuing the good tradition established for Show and Shine/Concours type events. How are your plans going for 2006 will you have a proposed date at the end of year meeting?

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 13:45
Being honest, the only reason I signed back up with the club was for the track day. The most enjoyable events I've had excluding the track day were just weekends away with the lads - Galway & Lisburn and although being organised on the forums, they weren't club events, so I saw no point in paying money to do it.

I've been at alot of events, but there aren't very many that I'd put off other plans to attend. I know from speaking to several non members (but occasional forum users) that the club is of no appeal to them, and never will be.

Also, I've mentioned it before, but I think that the club is caught firmly between two stools - there are the older members who have no interest in some of the stuff the younger guys are into, and vice versa, with some common ground between the two. It makes it quite difficult to organise events of mass appeal imho.
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:04
Can I just ask what does the Club provide in the way of Banners, Flags 'Irish Section' etc as it seems that for approx €50 yoyos you don't get much back if anything at all the couple of magazines you get a year usually have out of date BMW news and the boys across the water have better backing from the club from what I can see I might be wrong but stand corrected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>