FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedroad safety ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 00:12
I dont think the ads should be this strong, that new one is shocking to watch.  Very disturbing really is. Had 2 gils killed in family, and any time the add is on it upsets my parents dearly so much to the fact they get physically sick.  I think the road safety authority fail to realise the heart eshe these ads cause, wheres the fairness in reminding familys that have lost loved ones and brining it all right back.  I do agree with the thinking behind the idea, but im not quiet sure they should be so graphic. 
I miss my m3.......
Sponsored Links

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 13:16
I think the ads have a minor affect. This is because:

1. Those who drive most dangerously are least influenced by these ads. Their motivation to drive dangerously is not countered sufficiently by their preception of risk.

2. Most people suffer from the "it will never happen to me" syndrome. They see gory ads and may be disturbed by them, but the do not make the connection to their own behaviour. We often think that everyone else is a worse driver than ourselves!
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 20:37

Agree with all of you they miss the point and lead to stereo typing of the young testosteron soaked unresponsible driver. The rolling of the car is done so people take any notice at all as we are all filled up with horror pictures we dont give any real notice anymore otherwise.

The lobbying of the "publicans" prevents the gards from getting the go ahead for check points outside there premises ......

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 19:06
I do get ****** off at how unrealistic it is. In relation to the newest ad thats
on tv now, when has that scenario ever happened? Does the guy in the CIVIC
pull his handbrake on? What the hell? It might be worth their while focussing
on how simple most accidents are. Young guy driving at an inappropriate
speed goes around a corner and splat. All over.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:37

Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

These adverts don't work, all people do is switch to another channel, maybe watch it twice at the most, and get ****** off at how unrealistic it is. All the police have to do is police the right roads. Go where the accidents are. The poorly lit, badly surfaced country roads, or put police cars outside pubs. This isn't going to happen though, because it has been made perfectly clear all the government are interested in is filling their coffers by catching law abiding drivers doing 65 in a 60km/h zone on a well lit dual carriageway. And because for some reason we place the right to drink and drive over the right to safety.

What he said... ^^^^^^^

Edited by thepits
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 18:19

On Dryle's final point; yes and they are the ones who will take the least notice of the ads.

On Daveco's comment on enforcement; I drive a good bit on the dual-carriageway between Limerick city and Adare and the Gardai are usually out when the sun shines on the long straights shooting fish in a barrel. I have never seen an accident on this stretch of road and it certainly is not because of their enforcement, rather that dual-carriageways are safe roads. The Gardai should stop parading the official line that speed checks are only done with safety in mind on dangerous roads when they obviously still pursue this blatant profiteering (or quota chasing). Rant over!

Larzyh.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 16:56

i remember a few years ago one where a guy picks up his girlfriend and goes for a drive, starts overtaking dangerously flashing cars in front and she was telling him to stop. he was screaming abuse at some lad who didnt go faster than him on a country road and there was a car waiting to turn right with a child kneeling in the back of the car looking out the window and was thrown like a rag doll, horrific.

has anyone else noted that most of the ads that portray this are young people ie early 20's max.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 16:49
These adverts don't work, all people do is switch to another channel, maybe watch it twice at the most, and get ***** off at how unrealistic it is. All the police have to do is police the right roads. Go where the accidents are. The poorly lit, badly surfaced country roads, or put police cars outside pubs. This isn't going to happen though, because it has been made perfectly clear all the government are interested in is filling their coffers by catching law abiding drivers doing 65 in a 60km/h zone on a well lit dual carriageway. And because for some reason we place the right to drink and drive over the right to safety. And how have they not copped on that making it legal for provisional license drivers to drive without an accompanying full license holder is bloody dangerous?

Edited by thepits
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 14:48

The jury is out on whether these shock ads work or not but they do guard against complacency, I mean they are memorable and do get people talking about them. The subject of road death so tough to talk about without these types of ad.

Tough subject, I think I need a smoke!! (yes I know, squeezing horrible gak from my arteries!)

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 13:57
anyone seen the new road safety ad where the couple are pinned to the wall. do these ads actually work as there seems to be no let up in the amount of carnage on the roads.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic