Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedImport statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Import statistics
    Posted: 13-March-2009 at 13:31

Interesting stats at the link below.  It covers new reg's and imports for Jan-Feb and other car reg related statistics.  The interesting bit is stuck in the middle.  The notion that there is a flood on UK imports going on related to the exchange rate fluctuation seems to be knocked on the head.

Other than Q3, each quarter of 2008 was within about 100 of the import figures for the corresponding quarters of 2007.  Jan and Feb '09 don't seem hugely out of whack with the corresponding 2008 figures either.

In fairness, I suppose the import figures also need to be considered in terms of the stats for new car registrations during 2008 but that's a different story.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0313/newcars.pdf

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2009 at 14:09

There's no account of the huge amount of imported cars that have never been reg'd. Within 500 metres of my house there are the following (all owned by Irish residents) which have been on yellow/other reg's for many months+....

Honda Accord, Honda NSX, VW Passat TDi x2, Volvo C70, Volvo S60, Audi TT(Polish reg'd for 3+ years) & a Ducati 999. I suppose if you can get away with it, then why not.....

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2009 at 15:59

my m3 is not regestered and its not going to be im not giving this government a penny for my car i got it in december

ps handa nsx must be nice to look at everyday

Edited by Joey
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2009 at 14:26

***Update***

Was chatting to the owner of the Volvo C70 this morning and low and behold the car has been confiscated by customs. A random C&E check on the Tuam Road in Galway and despite him having a UK licence (and accent !) it was confiscated straight away as they had said that they had seen the car around a number of times and that his excuse that he was "just visiting" didn't wash. Car was taken there & then (there were 2 other cars left unattended also at the side of the road, presumably also confiscated). He'd to walk a mile and a half in the rain to get a bus and now has to pay the VRT plus a €300 fine to get it back.....

I suspect we'll see more of these checkpoints (especially around industrial estates in the mornings) as the government clutch at straws & clamp down on all possible revenue generating means....

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
damen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 05:50
government to**ers,would they just leave irish people alone,why should we pay the vrt when all the polish boyos head home buying nice bms for themselves and drive them erratically everywhere when they come back here no plates or god knows what else!absolute joke..oh and i wouldnt blame them for going home to buy either with fellas looking for way over the odds prices for buckets of sh*te over here,wheres the reccesion discount?ha....
nailik View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by Joey Joey wrote:

my m3 is not regestered and its not going to be im not giving this government a penny for my car i got it in december

I'd really hate to see that M3 confiscated. Really hate it.

keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 12:47

So how do you insure it? And Tax it? What about the honest people who pay road tax etc? If I knew someone who brought in a car and didn't pay their taxes etc on it I'd report them.
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 12:49
Originally posted by damen damen wrote:

.....we pay the vrt when all the polish boyos head home buying nice bms for themselves and drive them erratically everywhere when they come back here no plates or god knows what else!absolute joke....

I'd love to see a crack down on polish/latvian eastern cars as they are plenty about. No road tax and insurance on them I'd say. It is an absolute joke.

Edited by keithc
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 12:51
Originally posted by Ballcock Ballcock wrote:

***Update***

Was chatting to the owner of the Volvo C70 this morning and low and behold the car has been confiscated by customs. A random C&E check on the Tuam Road in Galway and despite him having a UK licence (and accent !) it was confiscated straight away as they had said that they had seen the car around a number of times and that his excuse that he was "just visiting" didn't wash. Car was taken there & then (there were 2 other cars left unattended also at the side of the road, presumably also confiscated). He'd to walk a mile and a half in the rain to get a bus and now has to pay the VRT plus a €300 fine to get it back.....

I suspect we'll see more of these checkpoints (especially around industrial estates in the mornings) as the government clutch at straws & clamp down on all possible revenue generating means....

We had a thread about this a while ago regarding C&E checks, my FIL is recently retired from the Customs and the checks are on all the time.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 12:54

Originally posted by keithc keithc wrote:

Originally posted by damen damen wrote:

.....we pay the vrt when all the polish boyos head home buying nice bms for themselves and drive them erratically everywhere when they come back here no plates or god knows what else!absolute joke....

I'd love to see a crack down on polish/latvian eastern cars as they are plenty about. No road tax and insurance on them I'd say. It is an absolute joke.

They are starting to, I was pulled as I had a garage car with expired Tax on it, as I was waiting they called for a "meat wagon" iirc and the occupants (eastern european) had to get out of the car and they were impounding it, I could just about hear the convo between the Garda and the driver. Garda told the driver that this was the umpteenth time he was stopped in said ca and he never reregistered.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
nailik View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 14:59

What makes you think you have a right to dodge tax? You should be ashamed of yourself. You may not think it's fair to have to pay VRT (or road tax or insurance) but it's the law. If you don't pay up, you are breaking the law. So if Revenue or the Gardai come after you and fine you and/or confiscate your car, you deserve it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 19:07

HEAR, HEAR nailik.

Joey go and be a responsible citizen and pay your tax!

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
GS.ie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GS.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2009 at 14:52

To**er. You wont make many friends here.

Edited by GS.ie
Michael O Leary is to blame for poor people feeling they have the right to travel.
Don520 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 11:07
I'm all for VRT evaders to be done, big time, we play by the rules and so
should they. I don't like paying VRT, but it is a tax just like all the others we
have to pay. The law is the law, break it and face the consequences, expect
no pity in these times!

95 520iSE Auto (sadly missed)
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 19:44
Originally posted by keithc keithc wrote:

So how do you insure it? And Tax it? What about the honest people who pay road tax etc? If I knew someone who brought in a car and didn't pay their taxes etc on it I'd report them.

i insured it with quinn direct and im not payin road tax and as for honest people payin road tax i have a mazda mps 2.3 litre best part of 800 euro road tax so i think that's enough right pal. u must be a good mate to have rattin on someone for nothing got to do with ya 

Edited by Joey
(INITIAL D)
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 19:52
why should i bother payin vrt its nothing but a scam just so i can have the privalage of paying another 1000 euro or so for road tax to drive around in the speed bump pot hole heaven that is dublin i dont think so lads your all entitled to your opinions but vrt is just the governments way of getting money off you if you shop outside ireland im not giving them a washer for vrt again i have bills to pay
(INITIAL D)
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 23:36

your all entitled to your opinions but vrt is just the governments way of getting money off you if you shop outside ireland

Just as well they don't charge VRT on Mazda MPS's then..........

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 00:11
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

your all entitled to your opinions but vrt is just the governments way of getting money off you if you shop outside ireland

Just as well they don't charge VRT on Mazda MPS's then..........

oh they do i its about 12k so i got it on finance.....didnt have 28k sittin around gathering dust. vrt is a crime i bought my m3 on a uk plate because i hope to move there soon so its pointless paying vrt on it and i doubt id pay it even if i was staying in this robbing swine of a country the vrt on it is about 2k i think thats half what i payed 4 the car why does vrt exist u should just be able register the car pay some sort of acceptable fee about 200euro per car no matter what it is get ur irish reg pay ur road tax and ur away. and road tax is a ripp off too for instance...

m3 3.0 uk road tax 99 pound. irish road tax over 1000 euro someone try tell me thats not a ripp off or that im not making sense

Edited by Joey
(INITIAL D)
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 10:05

Thats only one element of their tax regime. If we copied the whole lot how would you feel about paying for the water in your home or council tax? Its all very well to pick and choose different elements from their tax system but on the great scheme of things we may not do too well out of it. This isnt a dig at you but the grass isnt always green on the other side.

We have relatively low income tax levels here so the government have to get thier money some way - through stealth taxes such as VRT.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 10:07

vrt is a crime

Technically its not, even if its unpalatable. 

Tax evasion on the other hand is defnitely a crime.

This country will not miss your attitude when you move to the UK.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic