Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedImport statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 11:08
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

This country will not miss your attitude when you move to the UK.

Hear Hear!

Edited by keithc
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
Sponsored Links

Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 11:34

Indeed VRT is an unpalatable pain you're just going to have to suck it in and pay it. Insurance wouldn't go out the gate without it but motor tax i don't hold it in the same regard,(all my roadgoing motors are in tax btw) but I put it in the same league as the dog licence, currently Jess the Springer is a good 9 months out and I don't honestly think I'm going to back tax him or really loose to much sleep over it !!! 

The fact of the matter is tax evasion is a wide spread in Ireland, it just depends on what end of the scale your at 1,000,000s or Jess & I at €12.50, so I don't throw stones on the subject.

Edited by Curley
'90 e34 520i, '83 e28 525i, '81 e28 520i, '79 e24 635i, '75 2002tii, '73 2002 touring, '71 2002, '70 2000tilux,
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 16:21
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Originally posted by Joey Joey wrote:

vrt is a crime

Technically its not, even if its unpalatable. 

Tax evasion on the other hand is defnitely a crime.

This country will not miss your attitude when you move to the UK.

they'll miss my road tax and vrt tax and my income tax i dont give a rats arse if you miss my attitude you'll live. ive never seen so many people with their head up their a**e in my life wake up lads your government is robbing you blind and you all seem happy to go along with it .

Edited by Joey
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 17:32
[/QUOTE]

they'll miss my road tax and vrt tax and my income tax i dont give a rats arse if you miss my attitude you'll live. ive never seen so many people with their head up their a**e in my life wake up lads your government is robbing you blind and you all seem happy to go along with it .

[/QUOTE]

I wonder is it the recession or something thats affecting peoples attitudes lately. But ive noticed on other forums (forii??) lately that people are getting hot under the collar over little things. Disappointed its spread to here. Though the majority on here are level headed and able to debate and still stay composed.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 17:49

Originally posted by Joey Joey wrote:

they'll miss my road tax and vrt tax and my income tax i

If your attitude to other taxes is consistent with your expressed attitude to VRT then I suspect that they may not miss it as much as they should.

Not having paid VRT on the M3, I doubt you are paying roadtax on it, either here or the UK

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 18:22

Lads keep it cool

@Ben fully agree with your coments on comunication on this board. Bad news on the water so as they will charge us from latest october onwards. My local CC told me they put meters in this sumer.

@ Joey well technicaly it is an illegal tax still if they catch you they will not give a hood about that argument of yours. Better to go elect you representation and get them to do their job.

@ all the rest with their Halo's

THis country has some strange double standard and I'm not talking about the irish and the "feckin foreigners" but just the irish. Someone can flaunt the tax laws and evade paying millions on tax and he is a hero in this land. Someone tries to evade a couple of 100s and all hell breakes loose. The economy goes down and suddenly it is the "eastern europeans" who fly in and out with cheap flights and cash in on social welfare payments? What about the irish doing just that in the UK? Maybe they (the eastern europeans) learnd from the best? And the Minister for this department found only a very small number of "non residents" actualy doing this but a massive number of parents for excample cashing in support they shouldn't get

Latest joke is that the garda chases painters and invades radio stations as the big heads didn't like an artists expression and in doing so make this thing go around the world. (Remember there is no bad publicity)

So are you are all saying that bankers and company guys are cool if they rip Ireland of (by evading taxes) and anyone else should shut up and do as they are told? ....

Maybe that is the attitude that allowed certain powers in this land to rip the whole nation of and destroy the future of generations to come. From my point of view this country changed alot in the last years and some of it for sure isn't good.

Just my two pence tho

chris

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 18:40
spot on chris it is an illegal tax and if im pulled over im sure the car will be confiscated but id rather it got crushed than give one f**kin cent of vrt to this p*xy government.
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 20:06

If a tax is illegal, fight it through the courts.

I choose to live in this country and in doing so agree to abide by its laws; i don't go on internet fora to flaunt the ones I don't.

If there are tax loop-holes that the wealthy can explore, it is up to our legislators to close them.

If you disagree with the laws of the land, elect somebody else to make them. If you can't vote here, like me, and you don't like it, go live somewhere else.

If there is nobody representing your view, stand in the next election and get people who agree with you to vote for you.

Just because some laws get broken does not give anybody carte blanche to break other laws.

Nobody does me any favours by not paying their tax; they just make my tax burden greater.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 21:07

Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

Nobody does me any favours by not paying their tax; they just make my tax burden greater.

Valid point Larzyh, I've tried to do all my shopping local in the belief it might in the long run save jobs while my neighbour(s) do a weekly commute to the north for goods. It's not illegal but is it patriotic???  

'90 e34 520i, '83 e28 525i, '81 e28 520i, '79 e24 635i, '75 2002tii, '73 2002 touring, '71 2002, '70 2000tilux,
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 23:59
Originally posted by Curley Curley wrote:

Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

Valid point Larzyh, I've tried to do all my shopping local in the belief it might in the long run save jobs while my neighbour(s) do a weekly commute to the north for goods. It's not illegal but is it patriotic???  

Bit of both.

I don't agree with Joey's point as the loophole of getting insurance on UK plated cars is closing. (Think Quinn does a max of 2 weeks now) Feck the tax maybe - no insurance - no way. If you have a prank in your car you are in serious trouble and the financial burden could seriously hamper your future.

On the other hand as you Tom point out shopping here means only that the shops can still charge exorbitant prices, blaming cost bla bla bla bla. Nothing will change. One has to have some empathy for Joey's view point seeing that there are really far bigger issues at stake at the moment. Shops have to cop on and prices have to come down for people to be able to take less pay etc not the other way round as this would never happen

Chris

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 01:00

Some business are trying, vat isn't helping in the south and I'd say border countys are feeling it big time. We've come a long way from axe-the-tax regime of the early 80s but I can't do the halo attitude to not paying road tax considering in the past I've being a offender myself. 

In the end there's an odds on chance Joey will get caught by customs and will have to face the consequences, but you're right Chris there are really far bigger issues at stake at the moment.    

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 07:45

I am not sure which "far bigger issues" people are talking about.

If it is the fact that the country is on the verge of bancruptcy, then please explain to me how people dodging tax is not part of that issue.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 08:17

Maybe a venture into maths might help. Lets say there are 1.5 mio cars and 10%wouldn't pay their tax then this  still only makes a whole of 150mio if we asume that they are all fairly big engined cars and average 1000€ tax per vehicle. This sum amounts to 3 days cost of runing the state, less then 10 severage payments to fat cats and it is less then the tax U2 evaded by relocating to the Netherlands. If you cant see the big issue maybe Specsaver can help or a hearing aid. No offence meant.

On the 7. of April the hammer will drop and you will see what I mean. Crux is that in a time of decline of jobs, income from stocks and falling asset prices, 10Billion are taken out of the economy by a government that has no vision. Hence they take it from "ordinary people". Theese are the ones that believed in the stories from bankers et al and bought everything on borrowed funds. I know alot of people that pay more then 1500€ a month just to service their loans. Fuel, insurances school fees and food all came up in prices so even the interest rate fell they still have less money already. So now they get hammered by aforementioned 10 Billion cuts and in the same time have to take pay cuts as all the cutting changes nothing in say competitivness, the bad exchange rate, loss of tourism an so on and so forth.

You realy cant see the bigger issues? Wait till April und you will 

Chris

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 08:29

I didn't say I couldn't see the bigger issues; I said I was not sure which ones you were on about.

If 10% of people don't pay tax the remaining 90% will have to make up the shortfall. That's also maths.

Which 10% is it that you propose should be allowed not to pay tax? The "ordinary people" who overextended their credit in the boom years; the property developers, maybe? 

Larzyh.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 08:56

Neither of them but neither should it aply to bankers, politicians, horse breaders, musicians and artists or big companies.

Lets face it a Teasoch with the highest salary as a leader in the world and anyone of them getting a pension even so they are still working, or banking control personell that f*** up and getting paid big bucks for it do absolut nothing for the moral. Moral is something that is realy lacking here lately, same for comunity sence, or emphathy for the elderly, and less well off's. If that would change then people like Joey might be less inclined to evade vrt/tax.

Will they change this? I have my doubts that this will happen without an election, or a change in governance laws. E.g. in germany the lading parties need a two thirds majority for things like the budget so no ruber stamping here. Or what about that a party member who votes against his party is automaticly sacked from it. What form of democracy do you think comes from that. They have a position of "Chief Whip" for heavens sake why are we surprised that in this country they make politics for themselfes and their friends.

I realy don't wanna go their any longer as it realy f***es up my day. I spent a fortune on inward investment in this country and by the looks of it might well have to start up again somewhere else just because of stupid decisions and greed and golden circles.

Chris

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 16:49

Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

10Billion are taken out of the economy by a government that has no vision. Hence they take it from "ordinary people".

Chris, just who do you think is going to foot the bill if this 10 billion is borrowed, serviced and repaid? 

Unless I'm missing something, its the ordinary people.

Also, I'd like to pick up on the statement that you, and others, made about VRT being an illegal tax.  There have been court cases up to the level of the European Court of Justice about it and unless I've missed something then they haven't found it illegal.  But lets not let that get in the way of a good soundbite.

I'm not a fan of VRT and I've paid a good chunk of it over the years.  True, it is more than an unhappy coincidence that VRT was introduced at just the same time that Excise duties were being phased out.  However, the government is entitled to introduce taxes as it sees fit (if you disagree with any of them, use your democratic privileges to bring about change).  Europe has dictated the situation re. excise duties on inter-community movement of goods and the government has removed them.

Please, someone, show how VRT is an illegal tax - proof, rather than hearsay, hysteria or personal opinion.......

Also, just something to bear in mind:

Tax avoidence - legal - organizing your assets, income, consumption, etc. in a way that is effective in reducing or minimizing your tax bill.

Tax evasion - illegal - deliberately misrepresenting your assets, income, consumption, etc. to defraud the exchequer.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 16:56

Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

Moral is something that is realy lacking here lately, same for comunity sence, or emphathy for the elderly, and less well off's. If that would change then people like Joey might be less inclined to evade vrt/tax.

And which put upon social minority does Joey belong to that gives rise to his legitimate anger and defiance?

Is there any chance that maybe, just maybe, he lacks empathy or morality, in the same way as the you suggest politicians, bankers and property developers do?

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 17:10
Beemerchris wrote:  On the 7. of April the hammer will drop There is definately no doubt about it. We motorists are going to feel more pain. Will annual road tax increase? Probably, Will fuel prices at the pumps increase? Probably, Could there be a hike in VRT rates? Probably, As they get less from the sale of new cars that fall in to the low co2 tax bands, they will make up the difference by raising the contributions that will have to be made by owners of cars with high co2 emissions. This means higher VRT rates and higher annual road tax. This plan was proposed by the Society of Irish Motor Industry, and they submitted it to government as the most suitable way to bring in the co2 based annual car road tax system. The government practically adopted the proposals precisely as the SIMI proposed. I may have to raid my kids piggy bank, and maybe dip into their holy communion money as well to pay the road tax. Unfortunately I can see the day coming when cars with engines greater that 2 liter, that are taxed under the old regime, will be taxed out of existance. I am also wondering if there will be changes made to the basis of assessment of annual road tax for certain commercial vehicles. Surely there must be a fairer system for all!     
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 17:36

Originally posted by Mike Ryan Mike Ryan wrote:

As they get less from the sale of new cars that fall in to the low co2 tax bands, they will make up the difference by raising the contributions that will have to be made by owners of cars with high co2 emissions. 

The issue of falling VRT tax take from new cars is twofold, consumers have voted with their feet when buying new and the impact of the general economic climate.

Pushing the only higher rates of VRT up will force more people in to the market to ditch the bigger stuff and buy low emissions vehicles, and thus make that aspect of the situation worse.  Given that the only volume of sales is in the low emission section increasing this will yield revenue.  I suspect that they will force up all VRT and road tax rates to maintain the relative difference between the "green" end of the scale and the higher rates.  I can't see the Green party allowing a change that would undermine the environmental aim of the new VRT scheme.  Its one of the few real policy influences they have had in government.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 18:35

Oh for Christ Sake

@Dergside

I remember you as being a sound and intelligent person and as such you surely understand the whole idea of Europe and the free movement of goods. So with this in mind the whole issue of it being illegal becomes self-explanatory (spelling?). The person I know who brought this to court in Europe was an Austrian I worked with and guess what he was right. As far as i understand it if you own a vehicle already for 6month and lived outside of Ireland VRT does not apply. However it is difficult to proof and if you have an Irish bank acc or paid any PRSI in this period you wont get this option.

You state that states introduce tax villy nilly as they see fit and you are right with that and yep some are illegal. The Germans for example have a special tax on foreign bubbly (Champagne and Proseccos) total illegal but still done. In the bigger picture of Europe this is a non issue as it isn't important enough. I paid VRT so I followed the rule (sort of) even so I only life here but work in the UK and in Mainland Europe at the moment. My main issue with this s the ISMI sets the OMSP and this is a total scam. I suggest you google the report on "Friendly Corruption" done from the EU and read what they say about Ireland.

Spending allot of time with EU clients you would be surprised about the damage to the image of Ireland currently developing. I' sure you can imagine at least 5 reasons for this.

On the subject of doing it right. I'm a registered voter in this country and up till last year planned to apply for full Irish citizenship but the resent development and two racist attacks I had made me put this on hold. So I go voting but in this country this is all a bit of a choke (see my previous post on majorities etc)

You comment to tax organization/avoidance etc. If you are a citizen of the USA for example you pay a baseline of tax regardless of where your life and work. If you don't like it well then just get the new citizenship and give back you US one. On a similar line how do you reckon does what you say fit into the equality that people here think is so important. How do joe blokes (and probably Joey) organize their assets in that way that their spouse liefs in e.g. Italy or Portugal. I bet with you that they did not pay the Italian tax rate either as that would be substantial higher. Or in case of the "famous" U2 when Bono has the cheek to run around and "bangs some lids" but himself is a tax evading scumbag in his own country?

Can you really not see why people like Joey or the over 100tsd public service workers that went demonstrating get fed up by this total hypocrisies. You are right the financing of borrowing 10billion would be crippling but why is it that the interest rate is is high? .....

Could go on for ever but I'm sure you get the idea if you wanna see it.  

Edited by beemerchris
Chris

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic