Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIrish Region Committee Feedback required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 12:08
Just to correct you TJ - the show and shine was held in Capital Cars in Tullamore
Sponsored Links

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 12:23

Eamon. No need to correct T.J.  He was referring to the previous Show and Shine/Concours at Joe Duffy's. The first Show and Shine at Motor Imports in 2002 was also a well attended event.

Thanks Eamon for continuing the good tradition established for Show and Shine/Concours type events. How are your plans going for 2006 will you have a proposed date at the end of year meeting?

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 13:45
Being honest, the only reason I signed back up with the club was for the track day. The most enjoyable events I've had excluding the track day were just weekends away with the lads - Galway & Lisburn and although being organised on the forums, they weren't club events, so I saw no point in paying money to do it.

I've been at alot of events, but there aren't very many that I'd put off other plans to attend. I know from speaking to several non members (but occasional forum users) that the club is of no appeal to them, and never will be.

Also, I've mentioned it before, but I think that the club is caught firmly between two stools - there are the older members who have no interest in some of the stuff the younger guys are into, and vice versa, with some common ground between the two. It makes it quite difficult to organise events of mass appeal imho.
topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 14:04
Can I just ask what does the Club provide in the way of Banners, Flags 'Irish Section' etc as it seems that for approx €50 yoyos you don't get much back if anything at all the couple of magazines you get a year usually have out of date BMW news and the boys across the water have better backing from the club from what I can see I might be wrong but stand corrected.
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2005 at 22:01

Everyone has had various good points here, but the one that hits me the most is Kens comments about the lack of overlap between what the older/younger members want, and about what events actually require membership.

I'm relatively new to the whole club scene, having only joined in March and having not been in a club since I was a teenager!  This is also the first forum I've ever been active on.  What prompted me to become a member was the March Mondello meeting, and having met other members there, I kept coming back to the forum because of how welcome I was made feel.  To bhe honest, I don't really read the magazines because, with the exception of the last issue with articles by Ger and a few others, I haven't felt that it was aimed toward Irish members.

Somebody mentioned getting mailshots of events, but I haven't seen any come through the letterbox - my only source of information about whats going on has been the forum.  Obviously, not everyone uses the forum regularly, if at all.

Is there a list of both current and former members available, and could a mail shot be organised through the club to get ALL of their opinions so that we can see what caused people to both join and leave?

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 03:11

A survey would be a good idea. But to get any level of response it would to have stamped addressed return envelopes. Another thing to increase survey response is to have a prize.

I am trying to remember, did head office have a survey in the magazine a few years ago, or was that another magazine.

Maybe survey@bmw... or a survey form on the Ireland club home page could be set up so forum people could offer opinions in privacy, with a delegated person collating results.  Privacy would be important to get true feelings.

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 04:42
@Fey

It was me who mentioned mailshots. By that I meant email mailshots.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:15

Limiting it to an e-mail survey (or responses) immediately disenfranchises a reasonable proportion of club members, who can't, or don't have internet/e-mail access. 

The effect of a survey must be to gather the views of the widest possible group of members.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:28
Originally posted by T.J. T.J. wrote:

In terms of increasing profile, I think the show & shine at Duffys was a brilliant piece of work in both drumming up internal interest within the club for a non-trackday event, and raising the clubs profile on a dealer and Joe-Public level. Perhaps a way of keeping growing the club profile would be to have a simple A5 flier with all new and 2ndhand cars sold by co-operative BMW dealers; this can profile the club, its benefits, the forum, activities etc..

I agree re. the Duffy's event. I think we should have a PRO to specifically get through other promotional ideas. Anybody want to volunteer?

As mentioned above, the turnouts for alot of events isn't great. We need to figure what works, what doesn't, and focus on maximising the events that show potential. What we need is more feedback and involvement from everyone to contribute and attend.

We simply are too small a club. We have had surveys and different kinds of events, but the only things that get big turnouts are track days and dealer sponsored show and shines. Previous AGMs have also canvassed attendees for event ideas.

The fact of the matter is that we just don't have enough people in the club to ensure strong turnouts. I'm all too aware that, for many reasons, people promise to turn up or support but don't - its a fact of life! The best way to tackle this is to increase our membership.

Earlier this year, when we met at the Spa Well, it was agreed that the forum would become the predominant communication tool simply because the people active on the forum usually were those who turned up at events or encouraged others to do so. There are, no doubt, a few active members who are not on the forum but these are a minority. If we want to survey people, then it would be more efficient to do it here (backed up with BCC email shots as Eamo suggests) - and maybe promote it in the magazine - but am sceptical of its true value as I still think that we are just too susceptible to low turnouts.

Movingto the commitee itself, from the IRL section contacts, it stands as:

<TABLE =linkstable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD colSpan=3>Irish Section Club Contacts</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="21%">Kevin Barry</TD>
<TD width="21%">Chairman</TD>
<TD width="45%">087 2581913 (m)</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="21%">Brendan Purcell</TD>
<TD width="21%">Secretary</TD>
<TD width="45%">01 2169227 (w)01 8258474 (h) </TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>Steve Allan</TD>
<TD>NI Co-ordinator</TD>
<TD>02890 299371 (h)</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>Jim Magee</TD>
<TD>NI Co-ordinator</TD>
<TD>02892 628628(h)</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>Gerard O'Connor</TD>
<TD>Treasurer</TD>
<TD>086 2659211 (m)</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>Killian Bannon</TD>
<TD>Webmaster</TD>
<TD>087 7992735 (m)</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

]

This structure became obsolete at the end of 2003. The two NI lads never got around to doing anything, despite many communications from myself. Two years of pushing this delivered nothing significant. Kevin has stepped back a long way too - for this year he was just a connection to BMW Ireland. We are forbidden to have a treasurer too.

Is there much happening in the N.I. area? Can we have more cross-border events? Are people interested in them? Should it be Jim and Allan, in their capacity of N.I. co-ordinators, following up on interest shown in a BMWclub BDD event in Kirkistown, and not Ludo?

We are getting little response on this. There was a garage led event in Donegal recently that was quite successful (see our next write up). I have posted requests in a number of the magazine write ups calling for volunteers. I asked Gerry in the office to canvas people who have stated an interest - this is where Jim and Allen's names came from. For whatever reason, despite promises, no progress was made.

Is Kevin still involved in a chairman capacity? Does he still want to be? I see Brendan you are now Irish Region Club editor - I assume you are still secretary though? (and if ya are, how come you don't wear a skirt at any events I've been at? ).

I need to talk with Kevin as I can't answer completely for him. I know he wants to take a step back but will lend his support where necessary. This is why we like to channel requests to BMW Ireland through him as he is recognised by them and other dealers. And you know I never wear skirts (in public ).

Edited by b318isp
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:33
Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

Also, I've mentioned it before, but I think that the club is caught firmly between two stools - there are the older members who have no interest in some of the stuff the younger guys are into, and vice versa, with some common ground between the two. It makes it quite difficult to organise events of mass appeal imho.

I'd say there is a third division too - the vintage guys, who are also doing their own thing with different directions. I have tried through two different contacts to involve them in the club too, but without success.

This just serves to reinforce the point that we simply have too few members with too distinct needs.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:38
Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

Can I just ask what does the Club provide in the way of Banners, Flags 'Irish Section' etc as it seems that for approx €50 yoyos you don't get much back if anything at all the couple of magazines you get a year usually have out of date BMW news and the boys across the water have better backing from the club from what I can see I might be wrong but stand corrected.

This is a bone of contention for me with the club as we must be seen to offer value for membership. I have also had to fight membership fee increases as there was an instruction to charge Irish members more due to postage costs - so far I have been successful! There are other benefits however (discounts, technical info, affiliation, copyrighting, sponsorship, etc.) that are of varying tangability and are improving for Irish members slowly but continuously.
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:51
Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

This is a bone of contention for me with the club as we must be seen to offer value for membership. I have also had to fight membership fee increases as there was an instruction to charge Irish members more due to postage costs - so far I have been successful! There are other benefits however (discounts, technical info, affiliation, copyrighting, sponsorship, etc.) that are of varying tangability and are improving for Irish members slowly but continuously.

Not meaning to come across in a negative way but the discounts we get are no better than the guy walkin in off the street and doin a bit of haggling.Technical support is available on here moreso and it's not exclusive to members and sponsorship is not exactly something we've seen much of!!!
Richie

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 05:55
Just playing devils advocate, but I think a survey of the Irish members should be done to see if they want to remain affiliated with the GB car club at all. I for one wouldn't miss the magazine, which is the only real thing provided for us.

Killian looks after the site already, we're a completely self-sufficient section, and any fees could go towards Irish events only. It would be fairly simple to get the same discounts that are offered at the moment too. Theres still enough people with contacts within BMW to maintain events with dealers.

Just a thought! (an evil one at that)
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 06:03
The magazine is actually another pointless production in my opinion. It's 98% UK biased and the advertising of events to the non forum members is always weeks behind.

I'd like to see us put together our own 4 page booklet like straight six just with Irish info.
Richie

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 06:57
Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

Just playing devils advocate, but I think a survey of the Irish members should be done to see if they want to remain affiliated with the GB car club at all. I for one wouldn't miss the magazine, which is the only real thing provided for us.

Killian looks after the site already, we're a completely self-sufficient section, and any fees could go towards Irish events only. It would be fairly simple to get the same discounts that are offered at the moment too. Theres still enough people with contacts within BMW to maintain events with dealers.

Just a thought! (an evil one at that)

There is only one twist - affiliation. By being with the UK club there are no copyright enfringements on logos and names. We are also recognised as being legitimate by BMW Ireland. We also get the office support - someone would have to be prepared to do that as well with book-keeping/auditing etc.!
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 07:17
Also as most people only are part of the club for the track days (as per previous claims), they do get to enjoy the benefit of 3rd party insurance cover in Modello (covering spectators/marshals and track equipment IIRC). Should the Irl region go solo then this cover would need to be supplied resulting in higher track day costs.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 07:17
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Limiting it to an e-mail survey (or responses) immediately disenfranchises a reasonable proportion of club members, who can't, or don't have internet/e-mail access. 

The effect of a survey must be to gather the views of the widest possible group of members.

It doesnt actually. Well over 90% of Irish members have email addresses.
I have yet to meet an Irish region member who is not on email or doesnt use the forum.

Heres another twist - the club wont release names and addresses of members either due to data protection, privacy and all that! That is we have resorted to email and the forum as the medium for contacting members.
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 08:06
Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

There is only one twist - affiliation. By being with the UK club there are no copyright enfringements on logos and names. We are also recognised as being legitimate by BMW Ireland. We also get the office support - someone would have to be prepared to do that as well with book-keeping/auditing etc.!

I'm sure that the logo would be the least of anyones worries - and with BMW Ireland up and running (I know they're a section of BMW UK) I can't see why an official Irish club shouldn't be recognised.

The office work is a valid point, but given that this post is mainly about people being nominated to do work on behalf of the club with the committee, I'm sure theres more than one person who'd be capable and willing to keep books and set up a club & accounts.

Not sure what the cost of third party insurance is for the track day, but having done open track days in the past, I know I didn't pay that much extra. In fact, I reckon that since a lot of people pay the membership fee as part of the track day cost and are never seen again, its probably about the same price or slightly less for some.

The Irish section on the forum here is by far the busiest, so would easily cope on its own as a separate entity, instead of being just a section of a GB club.

Edited by kdevitt
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 12:07

I am happy with being part of the GB club.

The magazine does not have enough Irish info because not enough Irish members are writing articles. If I remember correctly Brendan is the contact for magazine articles. We need to get more running reports in, more personal experiences from events (remember Brendan's great article about his first track day in Mondello).

Being part of a larger organisation means there are fewer disputes about money, because more professional accounting has to be done. With smaller organisations there sadly is always the impression held by some members that others are skimming off the top.

BMW recognition is important as well being affilliated with BCE.

The people that went to Silverstone shared that experience as part of the same club. The 3 day BMW only August trip to the 'ring is something I feel that in the future Irish section members will be part of. That we could not achieve as an independant organisation.

The AGM where people take on specific roles I believe may be the best way to go. For this year people took on specific events or functions and that worked quite well. If new functions are to be added their purpose and targets need to be clearly defined for all to see.

Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 12:14
Originally posted by gjoconnor92 gjoconnor92 wrote:

Being part of a larger organisation means there are fewer disputes about money, because more professional accounting has to be done. With smaller organisations there sadly is always the impression held by some members that others are skimming off the top.

BMW recognition is important as well being affilliated with BCE.

Why is BMW recognition important? I don't see any benefits at all, there are only a handful of dealers who'll offer a discount - and my local dealer gives me a discount purely on the basis of asking for it, so club membership doesn't help at all.

The accounting may be professional, but I don't see much of the money generated coming back towards us over here. Setting up a professional Irish club would mean professional accounting standards, so its a moot point.

I'm far from the most nationalistic of people around (in fact most mates would call me a west brit ) but I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a Irish BMW car club, rather than us being a UK region.

Edited by kdevitt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic