FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIrish Region Committee Feedback required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 13:02

Originally posted by kdevitt kdevitt wrote:

I'm far from the most nationalistic of people around (in fact most mates would call me a west brit ) but I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a Irish BMW car club, rather than us being a UK region.

I'm inclined to agree, I've always wondered why we're part of the GB club. I don't see why Ireland doesn't have a free standing club that could be affiliated to the UK club and the European club.

I also don't see what Irish members who aren't on the forum get for their €50 per year, (excluding those who just join on track days). An out of date magazine with the same ads repeated every so often?

As was said earlier in the thread the same discounts can be gotten from dealers / Otto / GSF without being in the club as in it.

In my view the forum essentially is the club and without mentioning names the people who are the Irish mods, the most frequent contributors and the organiser(s) of group buys should be the ones to be voted onto the committee of the club, if they so wish, as without them there would be no club. Any potential committee nominees who seek election so that they can be in a position of perceived power should not elected.

Edited by JohnH
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 13:21

but I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a Irish BMW car club, rather than us being a UK region.

One simple reason is economy of scale.  There aren't enough members here to support a club structure, even if all the work is voluntary.  Even if all the Irish members moved across it would be difficult to organize the little things that are taken for granted and it would be unfair to expect people to do all the work on a voluntary basis.  Having been on the committee of the Irish Jordan club those years ago (which was a breakaway from the official UK club) I know the workload is high and the thanks is little.  With a club organization in place its work that no one needs to do, and the effort can be spent in organizing actual events and activities.

For example, the insurance cover for individuals at Mondello that Killian mentioned.  It may or may not cost much but the time it would take a volunteer to organize it, get quotes, fill in forms, put the cover in place, pay for it, etc. is huge, assuming the cover can be had.  I know this from trying to organize Public Liability insurance for the management company in the estate where I live.

Lets all back up a little and remember the question we started out asking.  That was, do we need to change the way the Irish section is organized and run? 

The question was not about the whether to break away. 

Also, the whole point of a club, and its one that has been lost in the question about what you get for €50, is that its what people put in that makes a club successful, not what they take (or get) out. 

I personally think €50 is cheap for the entertainment and enjoyment I get from being involved.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 13:26

easy lads

Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 13:30

A point that has been alluded to as well is that the forum is an interest to a lot of people but that you don't have to be a member to partake.  True, but I have no problem in chipping in a small sum to keep it afloat, simply so that I can use it.  Others can make their own minds about piggy backing if they want, but I see it as a service that I use and want to continue and therefore am happy to contribute to that as another service provided by the club.

One last thing ("I promise"!), a point was made earlier about event dates appearing in the club mags after the events themselves.  There is a simple way to avoid that, set the dates early enough to make the correct deadlines for the publication of the previous edition!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

There aren't enough members here to support a club structure, even if all the work is voluntary.

I think alot of people don't join because they don't
see the club as being Irish - and thats been said to me time and time again by members of other sites. (That and they don't see the club as being interesting)

Having been on the committee of the Irish Jordan club those years ago (which was a breakaway from the official UK club) I know the workload is high and the thanks is little.

For example, the insurance cover for individuals at Mondello that Killian mentioned. It may or may not cost much but the time it would take a volunteer to organize it, get quotes, fill in forms, put the cover in place, pay for it, etc. is huge, assuming the cover can be had.

I see your point, but given that this thread is about people volunteering their time to a committee to do work, I'd imagine people would volunteer the same time into a Irish Club. I also don't know what the Club office does for us - handles subscriptions and organising insurance for two events a year?

I personally think €50 is cheap for the entertainment and enjoyment I get from being involved.

Completely disagree!! The fun I get from being involved has nothing to do the with the club, but everything to do with some of the lads who I've met up with. Our €50 per annum effectively subsidises the UK sections as far as I'm concerned. I don't see what the club actually does for us, and I think that should be sorted before anything else, otherwise it'll just be the same faces and cars at every event again next year.
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 15:02

Our €50 per annum effectively subsidises the UK sections as far as I'm concerned. I don't see what the club actually does for us, and I think that should be sorted before anything else

to an extent I agree... what DOES the club actually provide us that we could not get off our own bat or through friends and contacts???

We need to nail down what the club provides us - the solid facts and figures - these will attract and keep new members. So far all I can think of is the magazine, and the odd discount.

As an aside I do also feel that this forum should be strictly ONLY for fully paid up club members. Currently it is our most valuable asset & resource.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 15:11
Originally posted by llatsni llatsni wrote:

As an aside I do also feel that this forum should be strictly ONLY for fully paid up club members. Currently it is our most valuable asset & resource.

Thats a bit of a catch 22 situation there...this is how most people stumble across the club and say hello...lock that out and you may not get as many takers
Richie

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 15:16
Originally posted by Richie Richie wrote:

Thats a bit of a catch 22 situation there...this is how most people stumble across the club and say hello...lock that out and you may not get as many takers

we could have a grace period of 1 month... i.e. anyone can sign up to the forum, but if they dont join up within a month of coming on here then their account will be suspended???????? I know its a bit of work, but i reckon it makes sense.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 15:20
How about having limited access for non members in that they would only view out of date topis etc and could not register unless members of the club or like iiatsni says a honey moon period of a month and then its sh1t or get of the pot. I would like to limit the Group Buys to members etc as I make no money from the Group Buys and would prefer that members got the discount etc. so how about having a group buy section with no access unless members of the club and use their membership no to gain access etc and this could apply to other club deals/events 
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 15:34
Originally posted by llatsni llatsni wrote:

Under the current system how do you do this? There is no way currently for the forum administrator (lil ol me!) to check. Even if I was given permission to compare the forum members database against the club members database, there is no valid way of saying a forum member is also a club member.

If the forum was club members only then each of the xxx club members would need to be given forum access. Would there be a check to allow existing forum retain their post count. There is a large admin overhead in processing all this.
Also, when a new member joins the club, they would need to be given forum access. I don't know the daily join up rate but it would presumably add three or four minutes onto the club admins job process. The same applies when a club member leaves.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
highbeem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 16:07

I will be joining when i get home.

I 'm joining in order of importance because 1. Bdd (trackdays)  2. Forum (help and Knowledge)  3. Discounts (Topazman is cheaper than ebay for meguiars)

I would prefer to join a free standing Irish club but it would'nt put me off joining an affiliate.

For less than the price of a tank of go go juice i think i would get value for money. I must put in only a slight effort recoup this outlay over the year.

Highbeem
E46 323Ci
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 16:25
Originally posted by highbeem highbeem wrote:

I will be joining when i get home.

I 'm joining in order of importance because 1. Bdd (trackdays)  2. Forum (help and Knowledge)  3. Discounts (Topazman is cheaper than ebay for meguiars)

I would prefer to join a free standing Irish club but it would'nt put me off joining an affiliate.

For less than the price of a tank of go go juice i think i would get value for money. I must put in only a slight effort recoup this outlay over the year.

Cheers for that Highbeem  

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 16:54
Restrict the forum to club members only (if you can find a way) and the forum will die off.
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 17:43
The big problem with the Irish section is that it does not have enough exposure to attract new members. TBH i can't remember how i came across it, probably through adverts in BMW car mags, so i think this needs to be adressed. Lets be realistic, the majority of the Irish BMW driving public are not "enthusiasts" as such and therefore may never hear of the club in an entire lifetime of driving the marque. This is where effort needs to be concentrated, so a change of commitee or club identity may just be what is needed for future growth! We need to decide what sort of club we want and what sort of membership we need, i am of the opinion that all BMW drivers should be aware that such a club exists in the first place.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2005 at 18:08

I only found out about the forum through Digweed.  I know a few BMW drivers I've mentioned the club to haven't known about it, but have looked in since.

As for hearing about the club outside of the club, did anyone hear the plugs on 2fm as we drove to Mondello?  Personally, I think that noone in the country did!

Eamo - sorry, I thought you meant snail mail, but the only email shot I've gotten was from you about Tullamore!

Ger - good point on the SAE's; would be the only way that a postal survey would work.

Brendan - what about getting the office to send out a mail survey; that way, they can cover their bums by not giving us any information, whilst at the same time gaining brownie points with Irish members as they'll be seen to do something on our behalf.

Also, RE upping our fees (and ours alone) for posting across the water - it costs me the same to send a letter (A4 included) to London, Glasgow or Dublin, and I'm fairly sure that it works the same way in reverse - after all, my tires cost the same being sent to me, Northern Ireland or Northern Scotland from England!

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 06:03

I don't think restricting the forum to club members is a good idea. The Alfa club GB is member-only, and ticks me off no end I can't get in.

In terms of branching away from BMWclub GB, I really don't see how it benefits us. They provide a useful service, any thing club related is handled quickly and efficiently (membership, paying for trackday, Silverstone etc).

Alot of good events people have had are individual-driven rather than club-driven (such as Frankfurt, NI trip etc). But essentially they are BMWclub members prposing & co-ordinating the trip. As Brendan said, this approach to events is new, is working, and if it ain't broke why try fix it? Unless Richie, Niall et al feel this work should be recognised by the club by creating a more formal role for them?

I agree with Niall that group buys should be restricted to club members (but will we lose the numbers to support a group buy then?). The technical help provided by BMW technicians requires your membership number which is fair enough. remember alot of people log on by chance looking for assistance for a problem they have. It's this support that has created the community we have now.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 06:52
I think the club is just an umbrella term. The real club to me is right here. I like that anyone can organise an event at anytime.It's not about club recognition cause what does that get you??? Nothin.
I think this forum is excellent and I see it growing and growing...I think the issues we need to debate at the meeting are why we pay the club and what exactly are the benefits.
Richie

topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 06:55

This is probably as TJ said is what I think is the only benifit and maybe recognition by BMW UK/IRL?

In terms of branching away from BMWclub GB, I really don't see how it benefits us. They provide a useful service, any thing club related is handled quickly and efficiently (membership, paying for trackday, Silverstone etc).

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 07:17

Ye hit it on the head Richie/Niall.. the real club buzz is on this forum!  BMWclub GB provide the help where required, remove a bit of hassle for things like Mondello, and give us recognition etc but it's fairly autonomous in what individuals want to do, when they want to do it, and how it is organised.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 07:38
Well maybe thats the problem our buzz is controlled by those across the water, its like things have never changed  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic