Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedImport statistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 19:49

Sure, there are a lot of serious problems in this country at the moment and it seems that the only thing that varies is the depth of sh1* that we are in.  There is also an awful lot of crap being talked as well (in general, in the media, etc.).  There is also a lot of anger, but a lot of the basis for the anger, in the media, is ill-informed, naive and giving rise to mass hysteria.

We can either huddle together and stoke up the anger about the level of crap we find ourselves in (either personally or collectively) or we can get over ourselves and try to climb out of the crap.  That requires realism and will require blood, sweat and tears by many.  Anger will not change the fact that taxes will need to rise, living standards are going to fall, services will suffer, people will lose jobs, etc.  It also means that we have to get over the mock indignation we have about how everyone should make sacrifices, but moan about the first one that affects us personally.

For those that have done wrong on the way in to this situation (I include the politicians, the bankers, the developers and the naive individuals that thought the only way was up and that the good times would never end), they will eventually get what they are due - good, bad or indifferent, in this life or another.

In the meantime, Bono is tax compliant I am reasonably sure.  He may have interests in businesses that have set up tax residence in other juristictions but these are seperate legal entities to him and there is nothing illegal in what has been done.  We need to be careful of taking the high moral ground on that one.  These businesses have done nothing different to what thousands of other businesses have done by moving their tax residence TO Ireland.  We would lose far more than we would gain by stirring up that hornets nest.

So, we have a choice, either wallow in the crap while things go down the plughole or get over ourselves, roll up our sleeves and get stuck in to getting on with what has to be done.  So which category are we each in?

I'm for getting on with it.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 21:27

beemerchris= head screwed on. spot on with everypoint you've made

dergside your living in the clouds man the sooner you realise your being robbed blind everytime you buy something the better off you'll be. (not trying to sound smart or cheeky just my opinion)

Edited by Joey
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 02:06

found this on the net

This current form of taxation has come under pressure from a number of areas. The fact that both VAT and VRT are charged on newly registered vehicles in Ireland has been the bone of much contention, both locally and at a European level. The European Commissioner for Customs and Excise has expressed concerns to the Irish Government, over the VRT on new and second-hand imported vehicles, commenting on the excessive levels of motor taxation on Irish citizens. Article 25 of the Treaty of Rome, which governs the European Union, prohibits customs and excise duties and charges having equivalent effect.

if the irish government can pick and choose what E.U. laws they obey and break why shouldn't i hav ethe choice wheather to pay an illegal tax or not???????????

Edited by Joey
(INITIAL D)
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 07:42

Erh, no Joey - the very nature of tax removes any voluntary aspect; it's an obligation.

While sceptical about anything "found on the net", even the piece you've posted makes no mention of illegality in relation to these laws.

It doesn't matter how you try to justify or cloak it, if you refuse to pay your car tax; you're not a freedom-fighter, you're not Robin Hood and your actions are contrary to the common good; you're a tax-cheat.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 10:02

Originally posted by Joey Joey wrote:

This current form of taxation has come under pressure from a number of areas.

But where has it been found to be illegal, either in terms if Irish or EU law?  Which court has ruled on it? 

If none has then your assertion of illegality is merely personal opinion.  You are clearly entitled to that opinion but that doesn't make it right.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
keithc View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 11:05
There has been a lot posted on here that has given me food for thought. I'm against people who dodge taxes (which as unfair as they are, are legal). The fact is the way things are done in Ireland makes a lot of things seem unfair. The more money you have the more schemes etc you could avail of so less tax to pay. Its a fact its the ordinary Joe Bloggs keeps the country running and I fear what will happen next week in the budget.

I've never voted for the crowd in Government as it sickened me the way they acted. I have no respect for Bertie and his friends. I believe its a lot of policies taken over the last 20/30 years but especially in the last 15 have got us where we are.
Seeing the payments politicans got (sure our man gets more than the fella in the White House FFS!) and entitlements etc and also what bankers and developers have done and been paid sickening amounts for has left a very very sour taste in my mouth.

I know of a builder that instead of paying taxes due on people working for him he pays them cash and they draw the dole. Needless to say I reported him yesterday when I found out. Its this attitude we need to stamp out.

Edited by keithc
BMW's in family: 2004 E46 - Replaced by 2006 E90 ; 1992 E32; 1986 E28 (x2); 1986 E30 (x2)

Wishlist: 2002 Turbo; E28 M5; E24 M6; E46 M3CSL; E39 M5
nailik View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 12:37

Joey:

I wonder how long the Revenue will take to track down a E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black in Dublin with yellow plates and no tax disc?

You're a very foolish man to brag on the internet about your illegal tax-dodging. Very foolish indeed.

Edited by nailik
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 12:51
lads

calm it down or i'll lock it up
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 12:57
Re the VRT thing. A car dealer told me that Ireland on joining the EEC back in the 70's negotiated the VRT agreement as a way to bring money into the country as there was feck all income back then

i cant confirm how true it is or not
Mike Ryan View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 13:35
This thread has promped me to begin to take notice of the vehicles on our Irish roads that are not sporting Irish plates. Quite a few in the Limerick area. Up to now, I would have said that its none of my business. Now this thread has persuaded me that it is my business.    
Euro Builts are Better. Drive one and you directly support jobs in the Irish car component manufacturing industry.
nailik View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nailik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 14:28

Press Statement from Revenue today:

Revenue crackdown on VRT offences in border counties

The Revenue Commissioners have commenced a major national crackdown on VRT offences. Customs checkpoints, principally in border counties and major urban areas, have commenced this week in an operation which will continue for some time. The major focus of the blitz is VRT evasion through the use of foreign registered number plates.

"We maintain a focus on VRT offences throughout the year but at regular intervals we undertake 'blitz' style operations which are high visibility" said Revenue Commissioner Liam Irwin. "The focus of this specific campaign is Irish residents illegally driving foreign registered cars. The rules are very clear and people who attempt to evade VRT will face the consequences", he warned.

Last year Revenue challenged 23,986 vehicles and 1,589 cars were seized for VRT offences."

Good on them. This country is on its knees financially. Any measures to increase revenue are to be welcomed.  

To all the VRT crooks out there, if you dodge tax, you are cheating yourself and cheating your country.

Next time you go into A&E and have to wait 12 hours or get battered on the street because the Garda overtime bill has been slashed or have to send your kids to a school with 40 kids per teacher, I hope you remember that.

If you don't want to pay the tax, don't buy the car. Simple.

Edited by nailik
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 15:03
I have to say that the roads around me are a lot better, bad potholes are repaired within two weeks, my commute to work has been reduced by 40 minutes, speed limits are generally more sensible, signage is improved, road lighting is better, my kids have better footpaths to walk on and I can get to Cork in two and half hours.

Don't forget where we came from either.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 15:31

Originally posted by nailik nailik wrote:

Last year Revenue challenged 23,986 vehicles and 1,589 cars were seized for VRT offences."

That tells me that only 6.6% of foreign reg'd vehicles on our roads are being driven illegally, no ?

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2009 at 15:53
Originally posted by nailik nailik wrote:

Joey:

I wonder how long the Revenue will take to track down a E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black in Dublin with yellow plates and no tax disc?

You're a very foolish man to brag on the internet about your illegal tax-dodging. Very foolish indeed.

not bragging bout it just giving my point of view it is a forum after all

(INITIAL D)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic