FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIrish Region Committee Feedback required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 09:03

Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

Well maybe thats the problem our buzz is controlled by those across the water, its like things have never changed  

This is all getting a bit "home rule"-ish for me! 

I agree with TJ, the club organization takes away some of the admin headaches and still leaves us free enough to arrange suitable activities.  As he said, if it ain't broke.....  I really can't see what a break away club will give us except the admin headache to those that volunteer to run it.

Focusing back on where we started, is the Irish section meeting the needs of the section members (not just those active on the forum)?  How will we find out?  This might be repeating a wild, mad idea, but how about we ask?

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 09:18
I've just posted a controversial poll... well not TOO controversial.

Chek it:
poll
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 09:57
I think Im going to take control of this thread back!

Quote The Irish region has grown from strength to strength over the past 3/4 years. Attendances at recent events such as the Show and Shine and the ever popular track days have proven this. Numbers are up and are going from strength to strenght year after year.

However I now feel that it is time for change. I feel that the current size of the committee and is too small and needs to be extended by 1 or 2 persons. I also feel that there are some members in the club who are very active and dedicate a lot of their time and energies for the sake of the club and to the forum. These people should be rewarded for their hard work and dedication (thats if they want to be obivously) by allowing themselves to be nominated for election to the comittee.

Likewise there are some comittee members who have done a brilliant job in the past that would seem not to have the same enthusiasm or energy for the Irish section like they have shown in the past. Therefore it may be time for them to step aside to allow new life to be injected into the Irish section.

What I propose is that we create 2 new roles on the committee. These roles would obivously need to be defined. I would also like to propose that an election is held (sooner rather than later) to elect or re-elect members to the current roles on the comittee. This should be done before the close of the year to allow forward planning of the events and direction that the Irish region needs to take next year.

I would be very interested in hearing everyones thoughts.

thanks
name removed

If the club is to split from the GB club then this can be tackled at a later stage. I believe the first move is to get a coherent structure in place (assuming it is not already there) as there is no point branching off without a good team in place to lead it.

If someone wants to propose a motion on seeing whether splitting is an option (or any other motion) then please mention it in the 2005 End Of Year Meeting thread.

Keep this thread open for a committee discussion please.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2005 at 20:37

I don't have much experience with committees.  However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they usually consist of Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, and PRO?

I feel that unless the people who are currently in these positions want to get out of them, then we should leave them be, on the grounds of "if it ain't broke, leave it alone". 

I understand that club rules dictate that we're not allowed have a treasurer, but we should be able to have access to information such as what funding our region generates, and what funding is allocated to us.

PRO in this instance is more Killians role as webmaster, which I personally feel could not be done any better or with any more entuasiasm.

Secretary - I'm not sure what their duties would be in an online club, unless it's collation of details of activities.  Brendan - I don't mean this to undermine your input; I just don't know enough about the position.

Chairperson - presumably to let the majorities feelings be known to the central committee and fight our corner.  Personally, not a role I'd like to take on myself - sounds like a lot of grief, especially when nobody seems to be able to agree on anything!

If the committees workload requires extra help, so be it.  If not, leave well enough alone.  What we need here is input from the existing committee outlining their feelings.  After all, none of the rest of us know how much behind the scenes work takes place.

That's my 2 cents.

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 03:30

In this age of high tech communications, the "committee" does not formally meet as often as in olden times. So as such a formal committee structure is not strictly needed. What we do need is a figurehead/leader, it does not matter what they are called, be it chairman, Section co-ordinator etc.

This person would be empowered to ensure that the decisions and spirit of the section is upheld, with the assistance of various people e.g. event organisors, secretary, PRO and other positions as needed.

As a form of government this is nearer the American system rather than the European system, that is there are no coalitions in the USA. The president is the president he appoints the cabinet from the people he chooses not what has been elected.

Another 2 cents worth.

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 04:33
Fey

I agree some of your points. However your point re the committee "if it aint broke leave it alone??" I do disagree with you on that.

To Quote the original post that sparked this debate -

QUOTE "However I now feel that it is time for change. I feel that the current size of the committee and is too small and needs to be extended by 1 or 2 persons. I also feel that there are some members in the club who are very active and dedicate a lot of their time and energies for the sake of the club and to the forum. These people should be rewarded for their hard work and dedication (thats if they want to be obivously) by allowing themselves to be nominated for election to the comittee.

Likewise there are some comittee members who have done a brilliant job in the past that would seem not to have the same enthusiasm or energy for the Irish section like they have shown in the past. Therefore it may be time for them to step aside to allow new life to be injected into the Irish section." ENDQUOTE

Edited by Eamo
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:19
Originally posted by gjoconnor92 gjoconnor92 wrote:

As a form of government this is nearer the American system rather than the European system, that is there are no coalitions in the USA. The president is the president he appoints the cabinet from the people he chooses not what has been elected.

Another 2 cents worth.

What the hell??? This isn't world politics here...it's a bl**dy car club.
Richie

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 05:24
Was it american cents or euro cents?
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 07:24

Eamo - sorry; I meant that if some of the people already on the committee were getting sick of it, then let them step down and someone else step up.

IMHO, a committee is there to oversee, not to take responsibility for organising every little thing.  As club members, we should organise events (such as your own Capital Cars event), with the committee giving us advice on what to do/change if we run into difficulties.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 11:05

To Ritchie Thanks for your witty reply.

It may not be world politics, but what we are dicussing here is club politics and as your reply shows people can get just as emotional about it.

It shows how important the club is to each and everyone of us, that is one of the strenghts we have in this club and we need to build on it.

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2005 at 16:14

Easy

Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2005 at 06:23
I've just read through this and now as a fully paid up memeber I'm going to have my say.

I am a memebr of the BMW Car Club Ireland, I don't give a toss if its administered from Outer Mongolia, I live in Ireland, the lads that I have a bit of banter with are in Ireland and the events I have attended to date are in Ireland.  Therefore I am happy to pay the costs and have a bit of craic and benefit from someone elses work. In my opinion that is a fair exchange.

Re - the costs, its less than one euro per week for membership - in this day and age that cannot be a financial burden to anyone.
Personally - I like the magazines as they have things of interest in them, its news that you don't get in the max power brigade publications and they are delivered to my door.

As for the forum - I see several people have set up other sites and I don't see the level of activity on them that exists on this one. BTW - someone has to host the forum which must be costing something.

Secondly - I would not be interested in closing it but surely its possible to restrict posts per month to non members - we all have a post counter running so there is a tally already going on.  Our membership numbers are stored somewhere as are our signature details in a database fashion - why not link them and restrict non members to 5 post per month or something?

I do think there needs to be more clearly defined benefits to being a member than not.

As for the committee - I see no point in implementing changes without a clear strategy on what the plans are going forward in the first place.

Re - a surrvey, everyone may not have email but surely they have mobiles.  I can send 250 free text messsages a month from my O2 online webtext - so lets create a group and text everyone with a Yes / No question and get answers - that will give you 12 free surveys per year.

Its a club - think of the greater good and leave the "me feiner" attitude at home.  It will never be all things to all people so take part in the events that suit you and support others taking part in the events that suit them - in the end evryone gets something positive from it and that can't be a bad thing.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't make as many of the events as I'd like but I'll keep paying my subs and throw in my tuppence worth.

I like the club, I like the ways its run and to the lads puting in all the effort I say well done.

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2005 at 16:59
A lot of good points in there Martin.
Richie

BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2005 at 15:35
Cheers Richie - just felt that they were valid points from my perspective. 

I can't help wondering if I have missed some major factor that has spurned this breakaway faction and all the Dark Side and Brady Bunch references?????

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2005 at 15:27

So how about a list of those who are attending the AGM on December the 4th, I'll start 

1. Topazman 
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2005 at 16:56
2. eamo
mackeroo1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
IRISH REGION MEMBER ///MACKEROO1

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2005 at 17:01
3.mackeroo1
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 02:52
4. Gerard O'Connor
Gerard O'Connor

Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 05:33
4. Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 06:09
5. Robbie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic