Forum Home Forum Home > Website Forum > Website Announcements & Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedForum Rebranding (Again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 12:11

My I didn’t think the Car club would bite its nose of to spite its face. How unfortunate for all of us including the Car club, don’t they realize that their forum is about to Disappear?

I have seen site owners spit out there Dummies a few times over the years, it has always led to internet demise.

Long Live the Bavarian Board. & all that sail in her

Hayabusa
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 12:12
thanks Bill!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 14:02

Just had a gander at the "official" site, it's pretty painful reading. There's a complete reluctance/fear of posting anything inflammatory or critical of the club and BMW in general - everybody tags a line onto any post mildly questioning of the powers that be, stating that it might get moderated or deleted.

I guess they have extended their own little empire, just like when you overload a boat - when the water gets choppy, you'll sink............

Chin up Killian, everybody can see the wood for the trees.

E39 530d Touring

jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 15:56
Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

My membrship isn't due for
renewal yet, but I will probably keep it. I think the mag
is getting much better.

Really? Do you think it's worth 35 quid a year to read
about how some codgers had a skittles evening in
Donacaster? It's very glossy but there's not a lot in
there that a) you don't already know and b) you can't
read in more detail in a proper BMW mag.

I myself preferred the drivers club mag as it was informative and witty without needing to be too glossy.

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 16:11

Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

Just had a gander at the "official" site, it's pretty painful reading. There's a complete reluctance/fear of posting anything inflammatory or critical of the club and BMW in general - everybody tags a line onto any post mildly questioning of the powers that be, stating that it might get moderated or deleted.

Not true, I for one have never and will never be afraid to speak my mind about anything, one of the reasons why I have never seen the need to hide behind a pseudonym and withold my real name. The only tag or mention anyone posting has made to a post being deleted or moderated has been Jeff Spangle who by his own admission was stirring up mischief

(quote: For those that maybe interested, I'm teasing things here )    

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=33555&am p;PN=1&TPN=2.

If I see the need to criticise anyone or anything I will but it will be done in a constructive manner and directed where it should be and not at all in general.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 16:50

I guess they have extended their own little empire, just like when you overload a boat - when the water gets choppy, you'll sink............

Chin up Killian, everybody can see the wood for the trees.

I am on both sites, as is one or two others that come to our meets, we just want to keep out of it now, and try to re-awaken our region that has been very quiet since 2002. I can't quite work out how a region could go from the most active to the least active and it feels like I'm going to struggle to get anything to get our region back into life, that is why I'm registered on both forums, even though I'm loyal to this one. I'm just hoping maybe some more people in our region do register with either forum (I do promote both) and help us to get a bunch of petrolheads at race meetings and have some fun, with like minded people and get others into it as well

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 17:46

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

....That shower of faeces....

There's a whole lot of it about!

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 17:52
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

....That shower of faeces....

There's a whole lot of it about!

Mostly from your avatar   

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 19:15
Originally posted by steven.seed steven.seed wrote:

Not true, I for one have never and will never be afraid to speak my mind about anything, one of the reasons why I have never seen the need to hide behind a pseudonym and withold my real name. The only tag or mention anyone posting has made to a post being deleted or moderated has been Jeff Spangle who by his own admission was stirring up mischief

(quote: For those that maybe interested, I'm teasing things here )    

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=33555&am p;am p;PN=1&TPN=2.

If I see the need to criticise anyone or anything I will but it will be done in a constructive manner and directed where it should be and not at all in general.

Good for you !  Still doesn't detract from the p$ss poor forum ! - Sorry - flourishing forum (if I remember from the last magazine update)

As for pseudonyms, what difference does that make - seems to have been a big issue with another bloke a while back.... not seen him since. Anyway, not very many people like their "real" names plastered all over a public access forum - so don't go barking up that tree. I'd say, of all the forum users on all the web, maybe only 1% of them use their own names when posting.

That locked thread was interesting reading - no more comments needed there then, don't want to fan those flames again.

E39 530d Touring

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 20:00

[/QUOTE]

Good for you !  Still doesn't detract from the p$ss poor forum ! - Sorry - flourishing forum (if I remember from the last magazine update)

As for pseudonyms, what difference does that make - seems to have been a big issue with another bloke a while back.... not seen him since. Anyway, not very many people like their "real" names plastered all over a public access forum - so don't go barking up that tree. I'd say, of all the forum users on all the web, maybe only 1% of them use their own names when posting.

That locked thread was interesting reading - no more comments needed there then, don't want to fan those flames again.[/QUOTE]

Why good for me? My point was you made a sweeping statement that everybody was afraid to criticise. I am not part of that everybody.

As for the poor forum I think you'd find if you looked back this and any other forum would have started in a similar way.

My point about the pseudonym is that I am open and honest and have nothing to fear by speaking my mind. I have always been so on this or any other forum I have used. I use both the forums for what I believe they are supposed to be for, a medium to exchange idea's, thoughts and information concerning BMW's with other BMW owners.

I do not however insult people or make generalisations about the character of other people on a forum. If because of the situation you have a problem with chairman or the committee have your problem with them and not the rest of us who are just going about our business being members of a car club.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 10:32

Steven

My day job is in IT and security is a major issue.  Protecting identity and property from abuse and theft is a major issue in our technical age.  The reason that many of use don't use our names as identifiers is to reduce the risks to our identities being highjacked, being flooded with spam, phishing, etc.  As it is, any determined amateur can find out loads about a person simply by googling their name, e-mail address or telephone number and following the leads.  If an amateur can find out for example that someone gave a glowing reference to Powerbulbs then someone with a malicious intention could piece together other information to find out perhaps where you live, what kind of car you have that might be worth nicking, who you bank with, etc.

I have no problem is being accountable for the things I say in a forum but I have no intention of giving more information about myself than necessary to people I don't know and who may just have an unhealthy interest in me, my family or my belongings.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Jeff Spangle View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 10:43
Yes I was "teasing", perhaps being a bit childish but my motives are sound, I have PMs to prove that.

I have said a little more in my defence and wish to cease now http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3 73

No my name isn't Jeff, it isn't Mr Spangle either, I've never used my real name on an internet forum. I have nothing to hide other than the security aspect as stated above. If I HAD to use real names I doubt I would register.

Jeff
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 11:57

Dergside,Jeff,

Your points are well taken and I was in no way implying that everyone should use their own name on the forum, I was as I said trying to make a point about my own character which had been brought into question earlier in the thread as to being afraid to speak my mind. I’m actually a bit of a hard nosed Mancunian so nothing is further from the truth, but the recent situation has created a lot of ill feeling which in many cases has been directed at totally the wrong people. There have been a lot of very insulting remarks made towards people who are members of the car club and are using the other forum and yes people will say there have been insults made in the opposite direction but most of these people have no involvement in what has transpired and like myself just want to get on with the things that are good about the club. To go to a meet, a car show or like this weekend a race meeting are what I enjoy, and to be honest I don’t need a forum to do that but I come on the forum to exchange information and discuss things to do with BMW’s and motoring in general not for people to try and make me feel guilty for using the other forum or continuing to be a member of the club. I have been and would like to continue to be a regular contributor to this forum but if it is decided that I am not welcome then fair enough I will go away and stop using it. Many have already done that which is not doing the forum any favours and the more that get driven away the more difficult it will be for this forum to survive. That is something I personally do not want as this forum has always been a superb information resource as well as a constant source of amusement.

I understand that many of the comments made are because of  peoples allegiance to Killian and his team but surely driving forum users away will not help them. The forum needs as many contributors as possible to remain successful. Like myself the first time people use this forum is because they are seeking help or information regarding their BMW. The more of that there is the more likely they will return and continue to keep the forum so successful.

Steve.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 12:22

Steve

Good points and well made!

You are right about the ill feeling that there is among many toward the new club forum (but more particularly towards the circumstances of its establishment) and there is no need to regurgitate that discussion again.  I am a club member and will continue to be.  I have personally chosen not to join the new club forum because I dislike what it represents, but again, its best not to regurgitate that one either.

Having said that, I, and hopefully the majority here, have no gripe with anyone that chooses to join it and anyone that participates in this forum should continue to enjoy the sharing of information and knowledge as always (one of my main reasons for joining the club originally) and be respected for their views and input.  Indeed, we have done that personally with each other over time.  It shouldn't be a knocking shop or one where people can't express themselves reasonably.

Having said all that, nerves are a little frayed and often in those circumstances people shoot from the lip and it can be difficult to diffuse things.  It can be easy to inadvertantly flame or antagonize but I genuinely believe that most people are here for the same reasons we are, to share a common interest.  If people are deliberately causing or feigning offence then I'm fairly certain that that will be dealt with by the moderators.  Effective moderation is one of the reasons for the success of this forum over time.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Jeff Spangle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 14:12
I would like to echo Dergside's comments.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 15:16
Sorry, but I'm not in in need of a crutch enough to
want or need to be part of a club - not for 35 quid a
year anyway. You get everything you need here -
advice, banter and a way of arranging meeting up at
various meets. The sort of thing you get from a car
club really......... :-)
As has been said, it's the way this all went about
which stinks.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 15:32
Andy, that's a fair and reasonable view.  The key point I take from this discussion is that we do need to make sure that we respect any contrary view to the same degree.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 17:11
Just to finish this off before I lock it!
Everyone is welcome here, rich or poor, BMW owner or just enthuasiast. It is unfortunate that the forum as it is has had opposition from different quarters but everyone is entitled to their opinion and we all must respect that, even if it goes against popular opinion.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic