This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 19:50

Originally posted by Úbermensch Úbermensch wrote:

Nope, it simply won't do and i'll be looking towards AMG next time round,. Its a step backwards for BMW.

Easy dude......AMG, i dont think so, plenty more ///M cars to choose from but i'll merk an exception for Mclaren SLR......

Sponsored Links

Úbermensch View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 12:02
Not convinced by the newer car, it lacks the classy understated appeal of the E39, abit too squinty-eyed cheap Jap-crap boy-racing rice rocket impression., take away the badge and those (rather tasty) alloys and what are you left with ? some tacky M3 fins and a quadruplet of exhausts resembling that goofy cartoon character..?

Nope, it simply won't do and i'll be looking towards AMG next time round,. Its a step backwards for BMW., not everyone (whom such a fast executive car could potentially appeal to) are of the 'balls-out 9000rpm civic type-R' disposition., and this new V10 lacks lower end torque (way down on the V8 until it hits around 5500rpm) meaning E39-like 2nd gear 2000rpm neck-snapping darts thru traffic cutting up taxi drivers & peasantry dissipation along backroads in 5th gear at little over tickover is now no longer possible, without dropping a few cogs & having the thing scream its fcuking head off like a kawazuki 1100 racer or something..

This new M5 is more of an overweight M3 instead, with compulsory close-ratio SMG (to facilitate its rev-happy nature?) and a whole host of electronic bollixology and gimmickry like 'power' button, 13 different modes of gearchanges, onscreen rev counter yadda yadda,. when all they had to do was add a supercharger to the E39 drivetrain (b10 bi-turbo?), some wider tyres & a brembo big brake kit.. it's little wonder that since it introduction, e60 sales figures have been down around 50% on the previous generation 5-series then.. 
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 08:41

E34 all the way, but then I could be accused of being biased....

E12 The early M 535i - you should have included that too as it was really the first pass at an icon.

E28 is a lot of fun and is probably the more raw driving experience, wouldn't like to run one as a daily driver - bit too harsh.

E39? I've not driven one but possibly too much electrickery on board. Would love to have a go....

E60, it's the new M5, it's gotta be good!

I wouldn't mind one of each in the fantasy garage....

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2004 at 08:29

pics available from the link below:

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/topic22013.html

Edited by Toxic
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)