FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM3 Evo Sport tuning.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2005 at 05:17

Paul

I have just bought a new standard exhaust and can testify to a beautifully manufactured item, however BMW probably has a very healthy mark up and remember they are a unique system for the Sport Evo so how many have they made A 1000 perhaps in total? I contemplated many other possibilities but either noise, harshness or life expectancy ruled each out.

However this was not the main reason, my car has just reached its 15th! birthday and covered 180K kms, Year before last it started blowing so removed and rewelded by a friend 4 times!. I took this as a sign that it was on the way out....

Subsequently another friend (also owns a SE and works in the space industry) took on the challenge to repair this old system. Working methodically with air pressure and fairy liqued he eliminated the leaks it has since been on another car and six months later still perfectly ok. But should also say that the leaks were caused by stress at some of the joints basically the metal/alloy is still very sound.

So who knows what life can be drawn from the original system lets just say 15 is not bad? and I wonder how long 'any other system' will last but i'll bet it wont be 15 plus. I appreciate that most of us contemplating future ownership will not be considering it being in their collection in 15 years time and therefore so what? but actually I do hence the purchase.

I see no reason to sell a car that is already a collectors piece and is a sure fire future investment. Also as a potential buyer a standard car will always be the more desirable purchase than one with all sorts of modifications. However this is not the main reason it is simply a great drivers car and to my mind unsurpassed by any subsequent BMW - period.

In terms of supercharging etc, this can be done for around 5 - 6K and could probably increase BHP by around 30%. Trouble is everything else will then need upgrading but in the process the perfect balance will be lost and the car worth about 30% less - who would want to take it on after you decided to sell it.

There are people out there who would take this on but you will be the guinea pig with resultant expenditure........  

richard
Sponsored Links

MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2005 at 08:27
Paul

I find it interesting that you can only get the 092 ecu from a
main dealer - who probably charge around £900 for it!

You could buy a new 091 and have a custom remap done for
that price, which is what I am contemplating.

Does anybody know how much the driveability can be
improved over standard by doing this as I want to leave the
engine standard?

As for the exhaust I'll be following Richard and replacing the
centre section with a new OE system sometime in the future. In
my view there are relatively few mods you can do to a Sport
Evo without damaging its value - hence that's why I'm restricting
my modifications to proven mods like the AC Schnitzer
suspension or upgrading certain items with better OE parts.

Mark
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2005 at 20:31

Hi all, thanks for all your advice and comments.

uwem3, The AFM has already been replace with a NEW not reconned AFM, so I know its not that, also had bought a second had AFM and fiddled with the spring/cog inside to get more power, as it was running very rich. This is what got my 160 BHP at the wheels. I don't want to supercharge my car, I was thinking of buying a 2.3 M3 later on and doing a supercharge project on it. I would like it if you could put me in touch with your mate whos already done it. I've Supercharged a Suzuki Swift GTi 1.3 about 6 months ago with a Unichip, intercooler, etc, etc. Its producing 155BHP at the wheels, 194BHP @ F/wheel. Compression ratio and all internals standard, standard ECU, injectors, inlets. Done about 8K miles, including extremely hard track days, regular 140+MPH blasts. Pretty impressive. and everything is unbelievably holding together. I know its a Swift , but I was really inpressed with the set up and the results. I'm just itching to do an M3.

chippeduk, I would like to buy a standard sport evo chip off you if you have one.

Richard, I know what you are saying, keeping the Evo3 standard. I understand what you say about the exhaust too. BMW will one day stop making them anyway, and probably superceed (is that how you spell it? don't look right?) it to the standard M3 one anyway, as they have done with the HT leads! Mines a UK Sport Evo, so I know it will always sell well whatever the mods. People seem to be getting me wrong, I don't want to modify the car. I would rather have the 092 ECU instead of the 091 as the 092 number on the ECU is correct. I now know these ECU's seem to be identical, but it would niggle me that the part number on the cover 'aint right. I would much rather have the genuine exhaust, hands down. But, I want to get her running right, and cant yet stump up the cash for the standard evo3 system. On my list for parts to get is the genuine system, new genuine seats, carpet(theres a cigarette burn under the drivers seat) can't see it with the overmat in place, but its niggling me! Just the exhaust and seats come to £3.5-£4K alone so these are future work in progresses. Priority is to get the thing running as it should. I can sell the exhausts anyway. It also has silver dials, These are going to be replaced back to original. I think you know where I am comming from. One day its going to be as new. And, I AM NOT EVER GOING TO SELL IT! not untill I am too ill or old to drive it, even then, i would probably have it put in the garden in a large glass container (dehumidified of co****!) for me to just sit and look at  . They arn't just good to drive. They are beautifull to look at too.

Don't you all think this topics gone off on a bit of a tangent?

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2005 at 20:40

Oh! MarkD,

The Main Dealers price for the 092 is just over £600+vat (retail) less the 10%. I can get an exchange 091 ECU from Bosch for just under £300+vat (trade) But then this isn't a genuine ECU for the Sport Evo! . Also my Bosch dealer won't exchange the 092 for one of thier 091's.

A remap of the standard chip wouldn't see anymore outright power really, I've dyno'd a few before and after and rarely see much in the way of vast BHP increases. Only on cars which have been live mapped on a rolling road do you see the best results. You should, however, feel the car to be probably more responsive, especially lower down the rev range. Also part throttles would also be improved too.

BMW's do generally respond well to chip remapping. 

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 03:56
Sometimes I get a little bit sick with all that keep it standard stuff. Can't believe a part number sticker HIDDEN under the dash board is of concern. So you rather pay a premium for a "original" Sport EVO ECU (which is in fact identical to all the other ECU, I repeat IDENTICAL) just to have the correct part number sticker on the lid??? Why don't you just swap the blimmin covers?? You need to remove it anyway to change the chip.
BTW you can't buy genuine seats, they only made the 600 set's.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 11:06

Thats a little personal aint it?

Surely its upto the individual, I have nothing against people keeping their classics original - including stickers, nor am I against anyone who wants to modify everything on thier classics beyond recognition.

I do although think that a car should be used and not just come out for shows, but fair play to the ones that do.

If "I" was too concerned I wouldn't have bought a Milltek exhaust for mine. I was going to change the ECU cover on my 092, as Bosch wouldn't it in exchange for thier 091. So no I guess its of not concern really. BMW or the makers - BOSCH will not tell you that the two ECU's are the same, chip change or not. I do accept they are the same though from whats been posted on here.

Have you tried to buy genuine seats? My local Main dealer says yes you can. I did enquire before I bought the car. So too did they say that the EVO3 front bumper is still available - and in stock in Germany who had 3. Aparrently these are lighter than the normal M3s, Or is someone going to tell me that infact they are not?

I guess I won't know untill I actually try to order them.

Paul.

adwo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 17:09
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Have you tried to buy genuine seats? My local Main dealer says yes you can. I did enquire before I bought the car. So too did they say that the EVO3 front bumper is still available - and in stock in Germany who had 3. Aparrently these are lighter than the normal M3s, Or is someone going to tell me that infact they are not?

I guess I won't know untill I actually try to order them.

Paul.

The seats are NLA. The bumper for the Evo 2 and 3 is lighter than the standard version...

Why order them if you can see the weight of the parts on ETK?

Cheers,

Adwo
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 17:35

Hi Adwo,

Thanks for the info on the parts, I didnt want a front bumper, I just wanted the seats, infact, parts of the seats as in the foam bolsters. Thant was all. I was told by Wellsway in Bath that the fabric is still available, but not the foams. But when I asked about a complete seat, they said the seats are still available. If they are not available, are there any alternatives? Does the base bolster foams from an E36 Evo fit?

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 17:58
A good upholsterers should be able to make foam sections to any spec you need . The cloth for the centre part of the seats is available , the outer grey trim isn't. From what I've been told , new Sport Evo seats are NLA . You would shock a few people if you did get a new seat from BMW .
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2005 at 18:26

thanks, I am not going to bother trying to order them. I dont need them right now anyway. Being honest I'm feeling a little confused and down about it all, seems no-one (main dealers) knows whats available or not, most dont even know whats what on what edition of car either!

Car is now going to sit in the back of the garage untill my RS500 is finished. (full nut and bolt, nearly finished!)

Cheers all anyway.

Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2005 at 16:43

The Sport Evo seats were supplied by Recaro and the seat is still in production with the ref SR, about £400.00 each, the originals were/are/ available for around 800.00 each.

However the foam Bolsters are still available, I have bought them from Chris Wadsley who seems to know the correct details 01553 810467. They are not too difficult to change but latex gloves are nec to avoid transferring grease onto the fabric/leather. 

richard
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2005 at 19:34

Richard - Thank you!

The originals, who would/did supply them, Recaro or BMW? It would seem a shame if these were not available any more. I have had hells work getting parts for the rs500, but Ford do seem to discontinue a part, then recommision a manufacturer to make another batch, e.g. the front bumpers, Ford discontinued these some years back, but last year they made a batch of 100 or so. If Ford does this, surely BMW may consider it?

I appreciate your help, thanks again.

Paul.

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2005 at 06:19
Paul - I have an Evo Sport too and have had huge problems with chaps on the parts counter at the dealer who just WON'T BLOODY LISTEN when i tell them it's an Evo Sport and some parts are different

they just flick around on their screen so much that they always seem to revert back to parts for the standard car

this also happens when you give them the chassis no to key in for their search so that theoretically only parts specific to my car are on screen

also had this problem when given prices for bumper parts for our M6 which actually related to standard 6

nowadays i make a bit of an **** of myself and virtually stand over the guy as he's flicking around on the screen - some of them are fine but usually their attitude is whatever you think you know is rubbish and we know best - drives me nuts....

phew - sorry, off topic rant over....
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 07:41

Paul

I have ordered these through BMW, but I believe Chris purchases through his connections with Recaro, I have bought quite a few over the time - some just recently.

Having virtually rebuilt my higher mileage car over the past year it has been pleasing to note that so far I have managed to obtain 99.9% of all the items needed, which is excellent.

By contrast, with a similar rebuild on my 1974 CSL 2 years ago.  Approximately 25% of parts needed were 'no longer' available and BMW do not seem interested in remanufacturing parts which is a great pity.

Richard

richard
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 09:17
I've never tried them but would the BMW Mobile Tradition department be any help?
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 14:16

Richard,

I have called Chris, who was very helpfull. He was going to call me back about the fabric, but still waiting for that call.

Have contacted Recaro who gave me a phone number for Auto-trim, Not Atrim as advertised in the BMW magazines.

I also contacted BMW customer service, who says the seats are no longer available in the UK, but are trying to find some for me in Germany, they are also checking out the fabric too. I also asked about maybe them recomissioning Recaro to make a few more sets, as I am sure they will sell well. They are looking into this.

PJSM3,

You have they very same initials as me! PJS here too!

I havn't tried them no, but I guess they will probably come up with the same answers.

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 14:37
Given just the seat base for the Sport Evo's seats, is something like £450 each,how much do you think a set of new/recomissioned seats is going to cost ?
Any dealer should be able to get you the centre cloth ,and any good trimmer should be able to make the foam sections .I know where I'd be going.

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 14:53

Chris is a fountain of knowledge with the E30 M3's and uses his head to get around problems. But as mentioned earlier Recaro still make the SR seat and available in this country so it would follow that all the foam sections are still available.

The squabs are around £30/40 each the centre section I do not know but I have also recently purchased the under foam webbing as this can go a little soft causing backache as one sits too low.

The motorsport cloth is still available the outer grey colour is not from BMW but have been informed from a good authority that Ford uses/used the same material and can be sourced from them at relative prices.

Jonners- I too have spent many a time at the parts counter and also have the BMW CD.... The guys at the counters are usually quite helpful there is always going to be the odd difficult one but lets be fair they are not likely to be going into the spares pages of a 15 year old car very often let alone one for a car they only made in left hand drive! and I have often found it quite difficult to get on terms with the parts menu it does require a fair bit of time and patience. It is a very good system once you can get on level terms!

richard
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 16:51
Originally posted by Richard von Bat Richard von Bat wrote:

But as mentioned earlier Recaro still make the SR seat and available in this country so it would follow that all the foam sections are still available.

Can you still get the SRD seat from Recaro, as fitted to the Sport Evo, or just the Recaro Speed as listed on their website ? There's a few differences.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 18:06

BMG M3 Hi, I know where you are comming from! I am seeing some trimmers soon, one that Recaro has recommended, and another that my mate from Fast Car Engineering (Replica GT40) uses. I must admit, there is nothing wrong with my seats, except for the outside foam bolsters on both drivers and passengers seats being worn, and the fabric on both bolsters are creased and "baggy". I wondered how they would even out just with new bolsters? I suspect a good trimmer could tighten them? The fabric on the side bolster on the drivers upper seat has been repaires, and there is a darker section where it has been replaced. I really wanted to get rid of that. I would get all the grey fabric recovered if I knew I was getting the right type and colour. I am fussy. Perhaps too fussy!

Richard, Any Idea what Ford has that grey fabric?

Jonners, I was at my local main dealer and got served by a young lad, who never had a clue about the E30, and seemed to be a bit of sarcy kid. I decided to get him out to have a look at the bit I needed, as he couldn't get it on his screen. His eye balls popped out of his head as soon as he saw the car. He has been very polite and helpfull ever since!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic