Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: GATSOS OVER-READ YOUR SPEED
    Posted: 10-January-2005 at 13:32
"

GATSOS OVER-READ YOUR SPEED

Monday 10th January

Court case could prove thousands of speeders innocent

Gatso-based evidence could be responsible for convicting thousands of innocent motorists, according to research by David Edgar, a retired electronics engineer and former professional inventor.

The Gatso speed cameras he has investigated over-estimated motorists' speed by up to 25 per cent because the time between the two flash photography images, which constitutes legal evidence on which prosecution is based, was much longer than specified.

Edgar's 35-year unblemished driving record is under threat from prosecution by West Midlands police for allegedly driving 41 mph in a 30 mph zone. Wallsall-based Edgar has pleaded not guilty to the driving offence and will defend himself in the Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 13 January 2005.

After receiving his summons, Edgar became suspicious of the accuracy of the Gatso-based evidence and developed a laser aligned, optically triggered digital timer that measures to an accuracy within 1/100th of a second the time lapse between the two flashes produced by a Gatso speed camera.

He became concerned about the accuracy of the Gatso speed camera when his requests for disclosure about how speed cameras are calibrated for accuracy were ignored by both the police and the Crown Prosecution Service. His requests for information sent to Gatsometer in the Netherlands and UK were also ignored, as was his formal application to Birmingham Magistrates’ Court to force disclosure.

Edgar said, “I really felt they had something to hide so I decided to investigate the critical timing accuracy."

Having tested the opto-digital timer on a number of Gatso speed camera sites including Newtown Birmingham, Walsall and Cannock area, Edgar soon discovered that well over 80 per cent of them were inaccurate. In particular, there were serious timing errors between the two flashes which are supposed to flash at exactly half a second (500 milliseconds) apart.

Edgar's tests show the timings are anything but accurate. Typically they are 630 milliseconds apart, which changes legal evidence about how far a vehicle has travelled. In particular, it creates the illusion that a vehicle has travelled much further between flashes than it actually did -- some 25 per cent further.

For instance a vehicle travelling at 35 mph would have travelled an extra 2.03 metres when the timing between the two flashes is 630 milliseconds, and that puts the vehicle in the next set of parallel line markings which are spaced two metres apart.

Since these serious inaccuracies clearly affect the reliability of the actual recorded speed of a vehicle, it suggests that photographic evidence cannot be relied on by the prosecution, as reasonable doubt exists concerning the accuracy of that evidence.

Having now investigated and researched the Gatso method of speed camera entrapment the police and CPS are relying on Mr Edgar said “ I have also discovered some other disturbing facts that affect the accuracy and reliability of the entire measuring system, these will be brought to the attention of the Birmingham Magistrates Court on Thursday 13 January 2005, come along it should be an interesting day in court.”

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed road safety campaign commented, "If Mr Edgar's claims are proven then almost everyone convicted by a Gatso speed camera will be able to apply to have their case reopened. I have spoken to Mr Edgar and his extensive research seems unequivocal."

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=9689

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Sponsored Links

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2005 at 13:54

Yep-- the time comes eventually to the  cr-pped  on.The Bliars Slime, having NOTHING to show for 8 years of misrule, lies and Con-so must reinvent English.The people are stupid--Fool some of the people, some of the time-ALL the people  some of the time-BUT-Never All the People ALL the time.So for those slime, Time is running out.

Will be interesting to see what the Judiciary and the Lord Chancellor will try to invent to overcome the Facts.You Know it makes Sense-Dont You!! If ONLY we had a Magna carta.

SAFETYFAST
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2005 at 18:50
i hope we get to read what else happens ,, its like a thriller :)
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2005 at 19:00
..I hope this won't be a cover up, where things get bent, lost. changed just to save face and the thought of thousands of people claiming money back, and in some cases sueing for damages.. I wonder how many people have lost their licences through speeding points, and maybe their jobs because of this, even though they were within the limit.
Certainly one to keep an eye on.

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 03:50
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

having NOTHING to show for 8 years of misrule

I wouldn't say that. Ok they might have done a few things that I don't agree with but they have also done a lot of things that I do agree with.

The government are not responsible for the technology involved in speed cameras. If this mans findings about gatsos turn out to be true then it just means that the governemt put their faith in a technology that wasn't as good as the manufacturers claims. Something a great many people have been guilty of over the years.

Are you a member of the Conservative party? 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 04:46
I am looking forward to seeing the case result - I hope that any results would not be just for those few that he test!!
Phil
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 05:13

I agree, it would be very interesting to see what actually happens! I am sure the press will get hold of this, if they don't already, and will no doubt be ready to pounce when the time arises!!

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 05:42
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

having NOTHING to show for 8 years of misrule

I wouldn't say that. Ok they might have done a few things that I don't agree with but they have also done a lot of things that I do agree with.

Have they done anything at all? I am of the opinion that this government is one of the most "talky", least "walky" governments I've ever seen (and I've seen many around the world).

They frequently announce "initiatives" and pledge huge chunks of money on things that either never gets spent, or gets wasted on pointless bureacracy.

At least "old" Labour had a very clear idea of where they were going, even if it did render them unelectable. "New" Labour seems to be guided by the principle (and I use the term in it's broadest possible sense) of "doing whatever it takes to be seen to be doing something, even if we actually aren't."

Even the Lib-Dems have policies that would entail actual things being done.

The government are not responsible for the technology involved in speed cameras. If this mans findings about gatsos turn out to be true then it just means that the governemt put their faith in a technology that wasn't as good as the manufacturers claims. Something a great many people have been guilty of over the years.

But the government is responsible for encouraging scamera partnerships, which same do nothing to improve road safety, or if I was going to be generous, have as many downsides as upsides when it comes to improving road safety.

Are you a member of the Conservative party? 

They seem to be getting just as infected with "focus-group-itis" as new Labour -- they just aren't as good at execution.

HOWEVER, this is all a little off-topic, even for this section of the forum.

Edited by spokey
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 05:49
i got mail yesterday from dundee police,65 in a 50 hidden cam,gutted!!
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 05:56
Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing the case result - I hope that any results would not be just for those few that he test!!

I rarely try to exercise my psychic powers, but let me have a go:

Option 1: Judge throws the case out of court and he pays the fine.

Option 2: Judge rules he was wrongly fined, police appeal. Case goes to Supreme Court, where original judge gets overruled and he pays the fine. Leave to appeal to the law lords is refused.

Option 3: Judge rules he was wrongly fined, police appeal. Case goes to Supreme Court, where original judge gets overruled. Leave to appeal to the law lords is granted. Law lords rule against the guy and he pays the fine.

I can't see the government allowing our "independent" judiciary to put a crack in one of Gordon Brown's most devious and unpleasant revenue generating schemes.
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 05:57
Originally posted by mell mell wrote:

Condolences, Mell.
Ciao,
Spokey

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 07:58

But--Spokey, you forgot about option 4.Case goes to the European Court of Human Rights.They find for the Guilty driver , with costs against the then New/Old lab and its taken 20 years, by which time  they have bankrupted the country, similar practice to present time.

The gatso,s are like the loaded Dice, all in favour of the house, what a surprise .This fiasco is the same as problems in OZ last year, 250 K+ drivers were repaid the fines, and gatso,s were removed.

Conservative Party?? Is this being asked under the freedom of Information Act ?? My- youre quick off the mark!!.

I am in fact a lifetime member of THE Freedom party--you havent heard of it , sadly.Members pledge to fight with whatever it takes, to stop their freedom of choice being eroded, and being lied to for Political gain.In a democracy , the People allow themselves to be governed by choice and agreement, Not by dictation and growing interference, in every part of their life.This was NOT in a manifesto.

Those people that think this is how our country needs to be governed,should Book their oneway tickets now.

SAFETYFAST

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 09:27

I do believe the government have done some worthwhile things since they have come into power. The reason why a lot of people think they haven't is because they pay too much attention to the rubbish printed in the newspapers.

The problem with complaining about speed cameras is that you are complaining about being caught breaking the law. Whether you like it or not if you break the law you will get into trouble. The problem isn't with the speed cameras themselves, it's with idiotic speed limits are totally out of date (not referring to the 30 limit)

I have heard about the Freedom party.

All I would say about this is that when a lot of people talk about freedom they are only looking at it from one side. For instance a friend of mine was angered when i told him that the company I worked for were going to introduce random drug testing at work as a deterent. He said it was an infringment of my civil liberties.

However is it not an infringement of my civil liberties if one of my colleagues chooses to come to work 'high' and causes an accident?

This is just one example which came to mind.

B7VP, the reason asked the slightly flippant coment about your political alegence is that you frequently fill your posts with material which is either blatantly political or with strongly political overtones.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 09:31

I do believe the government have done some worthwhile things since they have come into power.

Such as? I'm not trying to be flippant here, I'm really interested, because in my own life, I have not seen anything that they have done, of which I approve or have thought "good idea". But perhaps I am missing things.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 12:22

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I do believe the government have done some worthwhile things since they have come into power.

Such as? I'm not trying to be flippant here, I'm really interested, because in my own life, I have not seen anything that they have done, of which I approve or have thought "good idea". But perhaps I am missing things.

The fact that the economy is in relatively good shape for one. Compared to Europe and America, Britain's economy has faired really well in over tha last few years despite all the ups and downs. The pound remains strong and interest rates are low. 

I for one think ASBOs are a good idea, as well af Family tax credit, not to mention the impending ban on smoking in places that serve food. Also the introduction of community security wardens and banning Fox Hunting.

I also don't think that the NHS is as bad as people say. OK it is never going to be as good as private care, but then how could it? They managed to deal with my mothers cancer very well and she certainly has no complaints.

Crime is on the decrease, although I admit there remains a problem with behavior caused by binge drinking, but in general it is going down. Although this is not scientific, I have been a victim of crime on five occaisions, non of which have been when the present govenment have been in office.

I think Tax on company cars was long overdue, although I don't think people who need a company car like reps should pay anything like as much as people who have one purely as a perk.

Don't get me wrong there are some things i don't like and that I feel very strongly about, speed cameras for one, along with the misguided view that a large proportion of accidents are caused by people speeding. 

I was never a great supporter of the war in Iraq and I certainly don't like the way we jump when America says so.

I don't think the current government are great by any stretch, but IMO they are better than the lot we had before.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 16:06

Are you seriously suggesting that this is an oversite on the Governments part?!?!

Why can people not see that the whole system is designed to make it as hard as possible to run a car??

It's a classic "Do as I say, not as I do"... How many top policemen have been caught speeding - well over the limit?!?! The same morons that want to prosecute you for 31 in a 30?? How many times do you see Police with laser speed guns parked on double yellow lines?? (Not anymore, now they hide their cars in sideroads, so u can't see them!)

How do they get away with it?? Well, the average plank waits to see what "The Sun Says". If Murdoch is after another channel or something he will praise Blair, if not he will slate him!

As for the Labour comments, no other government has done more to make us less British!

James

P.S. This is not meant as an attack on you Peter, just my opinion...
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 18:19

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

The fact that the economy is in relatively good shape for one. Compared to Europe and America, Britain's economy has faired really well in over tha last few years despite all the ups and downs. The pound remains strong and interest rates are low. 

The economy is not really in good shape: Gordon Brown inherited an economy in good shape, and managed not to cock it up for about 3 or 4 years. However, I for one am bricking it, as I see the effects of taxation and spending on government bureaucracy, rather than boosting things that will actually sustain themselves. I fear that when it eventually does implode, it's going to make the boom and bust years look like a walk in the park. Employment is only high, because the civil service has swollen so much.

I for one think ASBOs are a good idea, as well af Family tax credit, not to mention the impending ban on smoking in places that serve food. Also the introduction of community security wardens and banning Fox Hunting.

Ah, well, I'm fairly libertarian, you see, and I think that the idea of banning hunting is far too interfering. But that's an emotional issue, so I'll leave that alone.

As a passionate non-smoker, I see the ban of smoking as another invasion into our lives.

As to ASBOs, they are a tool that makes it sound like they're doing something, I personally can't see it working. And they are also indicative of the state encroaching on our lives: "do as mommy says or daddy will spank you -- except he won't because we've also made spanking illegal".

I don't qualify for family tax credit (or any other blooming benefit) and the whole mechanism of getting benefits is far too complicated and there are far too many hoops and hurdles. This is great for Gordon, because he makes it difficult to get the money and he can justify a huge army of bureacrats to manage all these bits of paper.

I also don't think that the NHS is as bad as people say. OK it is never going to be as good as private care, but then how could it? They managed to deal with my mothers cancer very well and she certainly has no complaints.

I think the NHS sucks lemons, and it's very expensive for what we get. I think they might do a better job if they didn't have so much form-filling to contend with, and that has definitely not improved under Saint Tony. But anyway, new Labour did not invent or implement the NHS, so that isn't exactly an achievement of theirs.

Crime is on the decrease, although I admit there remains a problem with behavior caused by binge drinking, but in general it is going down. Although this is not scientific, I have been a victim of crime on five occaisions, non of which have been when the present govenment have been in office.

I think it's unjustifiable to say that crime is on the decrease. There is no clear statistical evidence to support that assertion. It is easy to muddy those waters by not keeping a consistent measure, and just recently the government changed the way they measured crime.

Every time I have been a victim of crime, it has been under this government.

I think Tax on company cars was long overdue, although I don't think people who need a company car like reps should pay anything like as much as people who have one purely as a perk.

I think we have too many motoring taxes already, the one that upsets me the most is my fuel card: I pay about 70p/l in duties to Gordon, then because the company gives me a fuel card, I pay tax on that tax. And I pay VAT on that tax. And I pay road tax and the roads are not being kept in shape and the money certainly isn't being spent on providing a decent alternative. But I don't have a company car...

Don't get me wrong there are some things i don't like and that I feel very strongly about

And I agree with you on all of those!

I don't think the current government are great by any stretch, but IMO they are better than the lot we had before.

I'm not even comparing them to the previous government in the UK, I'm comparing them to governments I've been exposed to around the world, mostly in the third world. Unless it was pretty much a dictatorship, where the people's opinion didn't matter at all, I don't think I've ever seen a government so vacuous and achievement-free.

Let's look at it from your side:
* ASBOs
* Foxhunting ban
* Community Support Officers
* Banning smoking in restaurants
* Alleged drop in crime
* Failure to destroy the NHS
* Managed the economy
* A tax credit (or many, complicated ones)

Hardly a stellar list of achievements after 7 years in power with a crushing majority, is it?

Now consider:
* Banning parents from smacking their children
* More taxes
* More national insurance
* More bureaucracy
* More bureaucrats
* A prime minister who regularly takes freebies from dodgy people
* A prime minister who regularly reinstates people who do things that should end their political career
* A prime minister who is far more concerned with his perception in the rest of the world and with being the lapdog of Dubya, than with people and issues in the UK
* And of course, the minor issue of taking us into a wholly unjustifiable war

I doubt that even Alan B'stard would have gotten away with all that!

Anyway -- I can't see us meeting in the middle of this one, so feel free to launch a rebuttal and have the last word, but I promise not to prolong this.

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 18:44

Oh dear, I find myself agreeing with spokey...it had to happen.

I dislike all these bans, hunting, smoking, smacking etc, as I see it, its just other people interfereing in someones life.

Most people dont hunt ( me included ), so if you dont like it dont do it.

Most people dont smoke ( I do ), so go to non smoking places.

I dont know if smacking children actually achieves anything, but it acts as a deterrent on mine, and sometimes makes me feel better when I dot them !

Used correctly speed cameras could actually be a good thing, but being abused as they are just turns drivers against them.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 18:49

Originally posted by mell mell wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that Mell, thats a fair way over, so if you can please take advice, you could even try Gary, he cant get it cancelled but may be able to help you deal with it.

I've just noticed in the local rag that a young chap has just been banned for doing 70 in a 40, thats sounds very bad on the young chaps part, but what they dont tell you is up until a couple of months ago that was a 70 limit, its a dam dual carrageway, speed limt has been lowered due to whinging villagers who buy a house on a trunk road and then decide they dont like traffic !

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Oh dear, I find myself agreeing with spokey...it had to happen.

Get yourself locked away -- quick!
Ciao,
Spokey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic