Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSuccess In a City Centre--near You ?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 12:12

Peter Fenwick---Steady +++  the o'l brains doing overtime.

Lets remind you of forgotten Facts,!!!! Your mate Slimy B and the Magicians, warned the Taxpayer and you, that if we wanted a decent NHS, one that we could rely on and trust in our hours/days/years/of Waiting---WE must pay for it.SO--TAX would Have to be increased, and SO it came to pass, +++++£££££.Result is 100% extra Targets with the staff to go with it, SO MANY rules & Regs-you need more staff to keep up with it.

THE Increased £££,ss taxpayer is still waiting for the "NEW NHS world" to begin.Nigels Wife, is wondering WHY she gets £5 PH for wiping someones Arze,--when Slime has just said the Min wage is £5-05 an hour(Its election time init)  Slime Brown--wants to Give £10, 000, 000, 000-  THATS £10 billion-- to oversea,s countries-BUT --NOT his Country First-second-++++++++++First you look after yer own.SO-- you see  PF-- LOTS of things ARE viable if you use the Taxpayers wages that Slime said he Must have, on the Subject he lied about.

Millions of Taxpayers, went without many things, no holidays-same cars kept-- same house-paying for kids Private Education & Health-Just to save for their Pension-not a drain on the state, just to enjoy the later years in comfort--Like those Slimey politicians on £160K a Year AND inflation proof Pensions--and retire when it Suits THEM.BUT--whats this--The Workers who have planned for their futures are told to WORK till you are 70.So as to save more taxpayers money being paid to Taxpayers.NOT only that, BUT SlimeBrown can steal £5, 000,000,000 from Taxpayers Pension funds AND TAX savings for the future.

AS you correctly point out, WE are living TOO long after  managing to survive , IN SPITE of Slime-- SO the master Plan is(Bet YOU sussed it out before the others) MRSA -Keeps the Numbers down and waiting list,s eh!!.

PF-- Just a short distance away thru a tunnel or on a ship, is another World mate, NOT perfect---BUT, their people,s have a happier time, with less persecution and Gloom , and enjoy a life IS for living-cos its very short--shame yer mates dont get a real life , a bit more.init!!!! BUT--of course they DO--off they go, on their jolly,s--PF  YOURE paying this time, I paid last time.

SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 04:03

Good God you guys certainly know how to have a heated debate!

Well here are my thoughts.

The reason the NHS is failing has less to do with the government and more to do with the rising cost of healthcare. An example of why it is rising is Anti-depressants. How many people were prescribed these a few years ago? Now I bet there arn't many people who at least don't know someone who has been on prosac at some point. The NHS isn't as bad as people make out and it cannot be compared to private health care. That's like comparing a chaufeur driven limo with a Bus!!

The same people who complain about the NHS are probably the same people who don't like it when the government tell us how to live our lives. You want to be able to eat as much fatty foods as you like, smoke as much as you want, drink as much as you want but when the NHS crumbles under the pressure this kind of lifestyle creates 'it's the Governments fault'

Then you have the cost of keeping us all alive as long as possible regardless of whether we want it or not. My Grandmother passed away last year after being on her last legs for ages. In the end she had just had enough but they kept her going for ages! Why!

Anyhow enough of that.

Regardless of the motives for introducing congestgion charging, road tolls etc etc, the government do need to do something about the levels of traffic on our roads. For no other reason other than to prevent the inevitable grid lock we are all heading towards. I live on Teesside and it is starting to get stupid here. I was out the other day at 10:30 in the morning on a Friday and the roads were full, It was no different at 2:30 in the afternoon.

While I don't agree with the charging we desperately need something to ease the road issue. Also WRT the whole Global warming issue, the reason there is disagreement in the scientific comunity as to whether it is happening at all and whether it is is caused by our actions is because no one really knows. Since we have no previous experience of this we have no way of really knowing. Therefore it is just as likley to be a problem as it is not. The reason people choose to believe one side of the argument over the other has nothing to do with understanding the issue, it is about whether that argument fits with what they want. Oil companies are not even going to listen to both sides of the argument, they will just follow the view that makes them most money. the same could be said of the green party. They believe that motorists are killing the planet so they only believe the evidence that supports that argument.

The problem that faces us all is that the things we take for granted are no longer viable long term. The NHS is not able to keep up with the increased cost of looking after us all. Final salary pensions are no longer possible for many of us since they are linked to a volatile stock market and we are living too long after retirement. The road network in this country will soon not be able to cope with the level of traffic. when oil runs out, and it will, the internal combustion engine will disappear for ever. These are just a few examples.   

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2005 at 03:11

ladies and gents

just bring back the iron ladie .and it would all be sorted out ..our maggie never did take any crap from anybody did she ..

its a dogs world out there
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 17:16

Who said my opinion had anything to do with Michael Howard's persona?

Your argument is true of course, you'll never find the perfect leader in the modern world.

A well known author put the argument that we will never have peace on earth, nor will any of the really 'sensible' decisions ever be taken....not until we're threatened by another life form.

Even then...someone will try cosying up to them...!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 15:12
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

But people keep voting him in.....

Not a problem for me of course, living in the frozen North!

I do have a question for everyone jumping on Mr Blairs back though (and don't misunderstand me, I'm not a keen fan)....who is the viable alternative?

Michael Howard?  Hmm, please no.

Charles Kennedy?  Ahem.

UKIP - there isn't a proper laughing smiley to summarise this one

A. N. Other?  Who?

As I see it, the fact it we're landed with the best of a bad bunch, and it's not going to change in the short term.  He'll be re-elected for sure.

I have this argument with my mates...

What has Michael Howard's persona got to do with how he runs the country?!?!

I once read this in an email:
You have 3 choices for PM, President or whatever...

1. A well documented womaniser, always has affairs, likes a drink and often parties into the night.

2. An Alcoholic, who also likes a smoke. He drinks before he goes to work, during and after- always with a Cigar on the go. Likes a little tipple before bed too.

3. A decorated War hero. Doesn't drink, smoke or commit adultery. Has a girlfriend, never out late always on time.

Not sure if that is 100% accurate, but you get the picture...

Which one would you choose?? Most go for number 3, he seems as though he leads by example and will always be 100% focused.

Number 1 was JFK...

Number 2 was Sir Winston Churchill...

Number 3 was Adolf Hitler...

Now choose again...
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 15:02

But people keep voting him in.....

Not a problem for me of course, living in the frozen North!

I do have a question for everyone jumping on Mr Blairs back though (and don't misunderstand me, I'm not a keen fan)....who is the viable alternative?

Michael Howard?  Hmm, please no.

Charles Kennedy?  Ahem.

UKIP - there isn't a proper laughing smiley to summarise this one

A. N. Other?  Who?

As I see it, the fact it we're landed with the best of a bad bunch, and it's not going to change in the short term.  He'll be re-elected for sure.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 14:55
B 7 VP

The only time the stupid came close to rumbling him was the Tube strike... After the first day, the people that used the tubes had to use alternative means of transport - many drove in... All of a sudden, they found they could no longer drive up or down certain roads - for some reason they had been blocked off or "Calmed". They started to ask questions like "Why are their roadworks everywhere, when no-one is working on them?" "Why can't I drive up that road anymore?" "Why are only two cars getting through these lights, before they change?"

Suddenly, Red Ken jumps in and solves the pay dispute - even though he had absolutely NO power to do so...

James

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 10:15

WE Need another Million ++++++ like you, someone who can understand the smokescreen, is a pack of Lies from Transport for London.Slime Bliar--Knew this would be the result of RED brainwash for the Capitol.If anything Works he can bask in the crap, if not--he distances himself--and blames the colours--RED & BROWN.

You know it makes NONsense

SAFETYFAST
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 08:12
I really find it hard to believe that people still think that the CON charge was designed to help the car driver!

It's no wonder Red Ken got back in...

I used my vote, I voted against Livingstone twice!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 07:08

I receive private healthcare cover as part of my job, and I'm glad to have it because it covers my wife and children too.

I sympathise at the pricing when people have to pay for it because whilst basic cover isn't overly expensive Nigel is right when he comments on the long term costs if you have anyone in your family who has, or develops, a long term medical condition.

We're very glad to have it though because it saved my wife a very long waiting list for an important operation - she waited 3 days.

Under the NHS it would have been anticipated 11 months minimum.

You also get the other benefits that make a stay in hospital more tenable.  Your own room, and a good sized one too.  Sky TV!  Kept her busy when she was laid there bored to death!  Very impressive list of meals and services too. The consultant she saw was superb too.

To me, that means that even if I were to ever lose my family cover it would be on the first things I'd seek to get myself anyway.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 20:29

Well if you want private health care gentlemen, I hope you never develope any problems, one of my American mates has a diabetic wife, he says the cost of the drugs is horrendous.

Its costs about £5,000 to have a baby.

To have a child like my son would just about bankrupt you.

The NHS needs some fiddling with, but in principle its unbeatable.

It seems to actually be getting worse with the introduction of private money, look at the hospitals with the mrsa problems, oh dear, looks like the new shiney ones have it, the ones that need to make a profit, so skimp on staff !

Best Wishes

Nigel

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 16:56
Originally posted by Praktisk Praktisk wrote:

Private healthcare is the future, (which goes against my re-nationalise everything stance) - but your health is something you cant afford to "skimp" on- I have alot of respect for people like your wife, it's a job I could never do myself, but until there is anysort of decent reform within the NHS, even if I leave my job, I'll pay the extra for the BUPA scheme.

Just my 2p worth ...

good objective point mr p

bupa really is a good system   .....on another objective view...

with all the fuss about NHS this or NHS that ......if the goverment decided to get off there back side and ACTUALLY made the NHS in to a private run concern ..they would reep so so many benifits to us the tax payer

.it goes like this .<G>

turn all local hospitals private .[run from independ biuisnesses]

set up ONE governing body .[a bit like ofgem .etc etc]to regulate and observe what each individaul company .sets out in there company practices  ....ie  regimes/vetting of staff/qualifications of G.P.s etc

if you had say 3 companys   vieing for say a hip replacement .at the cost of [estimate] £5000 to the NHS. you would have .three private run places  in that area [that had proper surgeons etc] as regulated by the goverment..to perform the task .to the same standard as the NHS. but without the costings of such like the NHS..

so one company says .[hip replacement]   is £3500...other say £3700.the NHS will still foot the bill  but will not foot the stupid spirraling costs that it has seen [ever wondered why nurses get paid very little for what they actually do?]....simple the gov spend mega amounts on red tape/directors fees printing//etc the list could go on and on and on .thats why the pay is so pathetic..however throwing away the loss making NHS to the private sector ..that understands a buisness is a buisness and to make £ and still be profitable but to still provides a service that matches ..or even betters the NHS standards  ....is or has got to be looked at ..and it HAS but they darnt try it because they will get tared with the same brush as maggie t   did .. with going  private with  everything ...

we all will be private one day in our med care [as pushed by certain peaple].rember were you heard it last ..

the rooms in bupa are spot on ..you can even order wine aswell as get better...double G and T     .well thank you nurse

its a dogs world out there
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 14:24
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

...All helping the so called greenhouse gasses this isn't it ?

Greenhouse gasses etc, suits them in one argument, doesn't exist in another.

Not to mention the hot air we're expending in discussing this

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:45

The hospital isn't in the City John, it is on the outskirts, actually very close to jnc 6 of the M5.

Its one of these new privately funded jobs, you know the type, they have closed down all the outlying smaller hospitals and clinics, closed down Worcester 600 bed hospital on top of that, and built us a brand new sparkly 400 bed one.

There isn't enough parking...surprise surprise, as the local gov chaps ( labour,,,need I say more ) want you to use the non existent public transport system.

I needed an op on my hands last year, as you know, I had to go to Evesham, and be there at 8 o'clock in the morning, not possible on public transport, I couldn't drive myself obviously, so had to be taken and collected.

My young son, as you know, was born with a cleft lip and palette, he has to go to Birmingham.

My wife, who works for the system needs a small op next week, she's been waiting ages, and we were told this morning she has to go to Coventry.

All helping the so called greenhouse gasses this isn't it ?

Greenhouse gasses etc, suits them in one argument, doesn't exist in another.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:14
 Nigel, WE DONT wish--AS Citizens in a Pretend Labour DEmocracy--to be given something Else.WE have what WE Want.Flexibility-Choice-WE the TAXPAYER DECIDE--NOT CRAP in SW1.Mrs Nigel, must decide to NOT go into the CITY SCAM area--so nobody gets her skill in treatments--they go to the outer city limits where they can park FREE.DONT go into a city centre--shop outer centres.Drop a Line and E-mail to the Chamber of Commerce, telling them you will NOT be coming back--Tell ALL your friends likewise--Then you WILL see the POWER of WWW. YOU Know it Makes sense  The Best is yet to Come.
SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:41

Its of topic, but I started it !

Private medical care, where do I start...great if your healthy, have any "condition" ( such as my diabetes ) then have another look at it, it also raises the question, I've paid once, so why should I pay again, I travel the world, and believe me, our NHS with all its warts really is the envy of the world.

There are too many freeloaders on it, now how you sort that out ?, god knows.

As far as road tolls go, these aren't in place of RFL, its as well as, also as well as all the taxes you pay on insurance fuel etc.

You already pay for all the roads, building and upkeep, and some, so why ask the motorist to pay again ?

If they want to raise tax, do it honestly, on the basic tax rate, let everyone pay.

Road tolls wont really effect me, I'll just charge my customers, they will charge who they supply etc etc, and as well as your own road tolls you will be paying mine too, on the goods you buy.

Our slimy government then get the road tolls direct from me, then in tax on all the charges as it goes down the line, you will even pay vat on the bit you pay when you buy the goods.

Its a con !

As for Birmingham's public transport system, it was the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive, we used to call it wumpity, it was superb, even as an adult, home on leave, I'd never consider taking the car into the city.

We have built a car culture, its taken decades, you cant dismantle it overnight, HM Gov will need to put something in place first.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:04

My point is that I'd still take the car - but I'd pay the toll.

Those that had to in order to work have their choice.

But, it keeps out those to whom the trip into the City Centre isn't imperative, thereby easing the journey for the real road users.

Originally posted by nigel nigel wrote:

I rather suspect that you are in a financial postion to just pay tolls etc, a lot of people arent in that position.

It has nothing to do with that whatsoever.  It is purely a matter of keeping traffic out that doesn't need to be there.  If I went to an office, and stayed there all day, I'd find another way perhaps - I meant for those that go to an office and may then have to go back out later, to a direct location not served by public transport.  i.e. a real need for the car being there.

In fact I'd go mid-way.  Park & Ride is a fantastic scheme IF the locations you leave the cars at at well managed and very secure.

Originally posted by nigel nigel wrote:

How do you feel about my NHS nurse wife being told she has to pay to park at her workplace, to help ease congestion ?

She isnt in the best paid job, it is her choice of course, but where is the public transport system for her to use, we cant even consider if its safe enough, clean enough etc, as it just isnt there.

I don't see what the job has to do with it, I really don't.  I don't prejudice anyone based on jobs.  If they fall within an area that met with the charge - then they pay it like the next person.

Would she be any different from the social worker on less who had to go out to visit people?  No, of course not.

Public Transport would have to be be much better of course - I accept that.  I never said it would support the scheme as it is right now.

You may even be able to afford poncy private medical care, but I bet the nurses looking after you cant, would you support them being charged to care for you, so you can drive your £50,000 car on your exclusive roads ?

I'm not sure why private medical care is poncy?  Hmm.  I see a trend here.

Who said they were MY roads?  They'd be used by everyone who paid the toll for driving on them - no different to RFL but charged on use - what is so wrong with that? 

I think you're making the argument earnings based - which just doesn't stand up to any form of reasoned analysis whatsoever.

Its a con, it has nothing to do with easing congestion, reducing greenhouse gases etc, its just another government stealth tax.  I could support your opinion if the transport system was in place, like it was when I was a lad in Birmingham, but there isnt anything for people to use !

Public Transport needs a radical overhaul. that is true.  But, I'd question whether you can really compare today with the system you had as a child.  Retrospect is usually rose tinted and volumes of commuter-types in the population have multiplied by folds of hundreds.

Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:50

Nigel, has your missus not considered applying for BUPA or even as an agency nurse? - Im sure the stress factor would be lower and the £££ factor would be higher.

I havent a bad word to say about BUPA either, private med-care is a perk of my contract, and I do get taxed on it, and touch wood so far I've only had to use it once, but the General ora of the staff is really good, they dont seem too busy or over worked or ultimately over stressed. Plus you get a decent meal and a decent private room.

Private healthcare is the future, (which goes against my re-nationalise everything stance) - but your health is something you cant afford to "skimp" on- I have alot of respect for people like your wife, it's a job I could never do myself, but until there is anysort of decent reform within the NHS, even if I leave my job, I'll pay the extra for the BUPA scheme.

Just my 2p worth ...

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:38
Poncy private medical care? Nothing wrong with going private. When I needed treatment a few months ago I could either wait twelve months on the NHS, or have it done the following tuesday with BUPA. My father was signed up to BUPA family scheme with his previous job and has kept it on since. My family are by no means rich, so private healthcare isn't the preserve of the well off. Besides, thanks to successive governments the NHS is in a dreadful state.

If I had to pay a toll to get home in the evenings I think I would be willing to protest. The government are particularly adept at scheming money out of motorists in underhand and devisive ways. Paying to park at a workplace is simply not on, especially as you say when there are no alternative methods of getting there. I suppose you could theoretically give her a lift, but then the car must go back and forward four times to collect her again, thereby driving twice as far. Typical politician thinking.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 11:19

My point is that I'd still take the car - but I'd pay the toll.

Those that had to in order to work have their choice.

But, it keeps out those to whom the trip into the City Centre isn't imperative, thereby easing the journey for the real road users.

I rather suspect that you are in a financial postion to just pay tolls etc, a lot of people arent in that position.

How do you feel about my NHS nurse wife being told she has to pay to park at her workplace, to help ease congestion ?

She isnt in the best paid job, it is her choice of course, but where is the public transport system for her to use, we cant even consider if its safe enough, clean enough etc, as it just isnt there.

You may even be able to afford poncy private medical care, but I bet the nurses looking after you cant, would you support them being charged to care for you, so you can drive your £50,000 car on your exclusive roads ?

Its a con, it has nothing to do with easing congestion, reducing greenhouse gases etc, its just another government stealth tax.

I could support your opinion if the transport system was in place, like it was when I was a lad in Birmingham, but there isnt anything for people to use !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic