FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne in the eye for gatso’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2005 at 05:04
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

This action encourages YOU to Work WITH the Police in the future--you know-"Police Request the publics assistance in ---It will NOT happen anymore, THIS Is part of the Bliar PayBack--YOU WILL suffer.Citizens could be counted on to go to the assistance if the bobby asked you--NO more--THIS from honest members of the public-Why???? cos they are sick of being treated as a criminal-because they are a Driver.!!!!!!!!!!! while Slime chav pay zero.

Are you telling me that because someone has been given a speeding ticket that they would not come forward if they had information on a robbery, murder or rape etc?

If this is the case then I am amazed that anyone would think like that. Anyone with any decency would not act in this way. A speeding ticket can be, depending on the circumstances (lets not forget some are well deserved), anoying, unjust and it can make you resent the police/government, but lets get it into perspective. In comparioison to helping the police solve a serious crime it pails into insignificance.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2005 at 19:05
Okey dokey,

Nigel, here we go!

1. 80% of Gatso cameras are inaccurate and do not meet type specification which hasn't yet been contested by Serco or the Police scientific department,nor has such an arument been testes/allowed to pass) in a court of law.

2. Section 172 of the road traffic act contradicts article 6 of the human rights convention and the said act. Will i'm sure be proven within the near future.

3. The fact that every citizen has a right to silence and is free from self incrimination, whom also are innocent until PROVEN guilty.

4. Being forced to sign a document when in fact the law can't force you to sign anything.

5. Incriminating yourelf or others when in fact a false accusation or incrimination would bring more serious charge such as perverting the course of justice or even perjury if under oath.

6. Again, contrary to the human rights convention, Section 172 does not allow for the passing of sentence nor punishment that is greater than that of the first, article 7 of the human rights convention

"Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the criminal offence was committed".

Why then are you open to more serious penalties if you don't sign the NIP and why are other charges brought when you fail to nominate the 'driver' and be accused of not showing due dilligence?

7. Article 6 section3 states "to examine or have examined witnesses against him and to obtain the attendance and examination of witnesses on his behalf under the same conditions as witnesses against him"

Why then will the manufacturers whom also calibrate the cameras not to attend court to defend their devices accuracy?

8. Accidents have been rising since 1993 when in fact they had been decreasing since the early 80's anyway.

around about the same time as the destruction of the Police service and the introduction of speed cameras, why are deaths still increasing when speed cameras are increasing.

9. A third of all deaths and serious injuries are attributed to speed.

Where is the scientific evidence to support this claim, when in fact the Transpoer research laboratory reports indicate the actual number is less than 8%. This number includes those accidents involving drink drivers, those whom are under the influence of drugs and those whom have been involved with Police chases etc. Even the Polcie themselves.

I could go on all night, but who has noticed within the last 5 years or so, that whilst speeding may be down, the standard of driving has got much much worse!!
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2005 at 19:42
Hi Peter, I think that what B 7 VP
was trying to say is that confidence in the Police (rightly or wrongly) will decline as a proportion of a result of speed cameras or should I say as a result of the injustices surrounding them.

I don't think that crimes such as rape (which is repulsive to most criminals (of which 25% of motorists now are) comes into into the debate. It's too simplistic an argument to use.

The Police place alot of faith in the public for information, more so than CCTV, Speed cameras, index recognition cameras etc and and that requires confidence and trust.

This is unfair as a majority of Police Officers IMO are sick to the back teeth of Government meddling.

As soon as the generally law abiding community be labelled as criminal, then expect anymore than apathy.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 05:45

Ok mate, I'll post my answers in a different colour, I wish you luck I too have been a little way down this road, the answers will be from my own experience.

Originally posted by johno1066 johno1066 wrote:

Okey dokey,

Nigel, here we go!

1. 80% of Gatso cameras are inaccurate and do not meet type specification which hasn't yet been contested by Serco or the Police scientific department,nor has such an arument been testes/allowed to pass) in a court of law.

They have been type approved by the home office.

2. Section 172 of the road traffic act contradicts article 6 of the human rights convention and the said act. Will i'm sure be proven within the near future.

This was ruled against in a British court ( possibly Scottish I cant remember)

3. The fact that every citizen has a right to silence and is free from self incrimination, whom also are innocent until PROVEN guilty.

You do have a right to silence, but then can't rely on anything you haven't said, but now want to say in court.

4. Being forced to sign a document when in fact the law can't force you to sign anything.

It would appear they can if they change the rules to make it so.

5. Incriminating yourelf or others when in fact a false accusation or incrimination would bring more serious charge such as perverting the course of justice or even perjury if under oath.

So don't falsely accuse someone !

6. Again, contrary to the human rights convention, Section 172 does not allow for the passing of sentence nor punishment that is greater than that of the first, article 7 of the human rights convention

"Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the criminal offence was committed".

Why then are you open to more serious penalties if you don't sign the NIP and why are other charges brought when you fail to nominate the 'driver' and be accused of not showing due dilligence?

Because a Mr John Prescott made it so, which rather intestingly, my local scameraship still deny ! This is supposedly to stop the courts being jammed up with people pleading not guilty, I don't believe it but there you go.

7. Article 6 section3 states "to examine or have examined witnesses against him and to obtain the attendance and examination of witnesses on his behalf under the same conditions as witnesses against him"

Why then will the manufacturers whom also calibrate the cameras not to attend court to defend their devices accuracy?

Because so far they have not been required to do so, we know it stinks but the anti car brigade are very strong at the moment

8. Accidents have been rising since 1993 when in fact they had been decreasing since the early 80's anyway.

around about the same time as the destruction of the Police service and the introduction of speed cameras, why are deaths still increasing when speed cameras are increasing.

Because speed, although a factor, is not the one and only cause of accidents, we all know this, even those writing the rules.

9. A third of all deaths and serious injuries are attributed to speed.

Where is the scientific evidence to support this claim, when in fact the Transpoer research laboratory reports indicate the actual number is less than 8%. This number includes those accidents involving drink drivers, those whom are under the influence of drugs and those whom have been involved with Police chases etc. Even the Polcie themselves.

The evidence to support that claim is very flimsy indeed, but if nothing moved, there would be no collision, so it does have some basis. Its an advertising slogan, and should be treated as such.

I could go on all night, but who has noticed within the last 5 years or so, that whilst speeding may be down, the standard of driving has got much much worse!!

Right, back to black !

You are correct in everything you have said, but you have not given me one good reason to have these devices removed.

The rules need changing so things can be challenged, which is where people like you, I and the organisation ABD come in, but this will take time, we laughed at the anticar lobby to start with, rather than taking the threat seriously, we are now reaping the "benefits" of that mistake.

Speed cameras enforce the law, it is illegal to break the law, period.

The cow poo surrounding the cameras is the governments mistake.

I wish you luck, but in reality I think your efforts may be better spent challenging the stupily low limits being imposed on us, rathet than challenging devices placed there to enforce those limits.

Best Wishes

Nigel

johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 07:50
Hi Nigel,

You have made some very interesting observations. I may add, that many of the points above will be addressed in due course within Strasbourg.

That said, having read the above, I would certainly agree that my main grievance would be with the way in which the Government has manipulated the law, I have to admit, the Devil's advocate approach certainly provides for a more constructive debate than by arguing the toss.

That said, from my own experience, I believe that many of these devices are providing incorrect readings and what will become apparent is that many people will have had points on their licenses when in fact they shouldn't have been 'charged' in the first place.But then with an ineffective opposition who would challenge them anyway if they just changed the rules.

This leads me on to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The state are ever repliant upon technology and it will take a far cleverer person than I, to challenge what can be deemed 'space age' technology used by the state for enforcement, it is happening now as we speak but it would appear that dirty tricks are being used to discredit anyone who would dare attempt to do so. Giving up is not an option for me, websites such as this one and others, are already being used with some effect in courts, many people however just give up because they can't, won't or are too intimidated to fight their corners, whether it be contesting the accuracy of the cameras or identifying any flaws within the system and its procedures.

However, I say to the people who do give up, look at the price you will ultimately pay, by doing so. Already we have an all powerful environmental lobby, intent on banning any vehicle that they consider to be a 'gas guzzler' 4x4s are their prioriy at the moment, don't assume that in ten years time, if they have their way then websites like this one will still be around in ten years time.

Having been reported to the emmissions Police for inciting the otherwise compliant public, to omit toxic emmissions from a motor vehicle. Or be reported to the speed enforcement council for inciting users of those cars to speed when in fact all the author has done is to indicate that the vehicle can travel at 150mph. Or how about that because there are not enough convictions for a particular offence, the Government would introduce a law that the defendant is guilty until he himself, proves his innocence, isn't allowed to see the evidence against him because the state doesn't allow it and then doesn't have the right to trial by jury because Jury's are considered to unreliable or stupid. Ring any bells?

You may think that i'm a doom mongerer (i'm not)and far from becoming one of the ranks of the likes of liberty, one would, assume that the above would never happen.

But then wait! hangon, 30 years ago, didn't people vote for a free trade agreement within Europe, the EEC. Or did they vote for a United States of Europe. No could never happen surely.Perphaps that's what this Government is doing, making laws so proposterous that the people have to use the European courts, whom then give the Government a slap on the wrists, people say "well Europe isn't so bad after all, then before we know it we're in.

Apologies, this is getting a little too political for a site about BMW's so i'll let this be the last one.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 09:13

....many people however just give up because they can't, won't or are too intimidated to fight their corners, whether it be contesting the accuracy of the cameras or identifying any flaws within the system and its procedures.

Of course people shy away from taking on the government in the courts. They have too much to loose. Also who want's to fight a battle you stand little or no chance of winning.

Already we have an all powerful environmental lobby, intent on banning any vehicle that they consider to be a 'gas guzzler' 4x4s are their prioriy at the moment,

Your real problem here is that you can't disprove their theories on the effects vehicles like this have.

Why? because no one really knows. There are several different camps on this issue all with their own theories but when it comes down to it no one can prove of disprove anyone elses theory.

The reason the environmentallists have such a strong lobby at the moment is because they have a lot of support. More and more prominent scientists are backing the view that mans actions are having an effect on the climate. On top of this Hollywood got involved with 'The day after tomorrow' which will have had a big impact on the way the public view the issue.

The other more important point is, if they are right and we do nothing we are heading for an environmental time bomb which will cause the death of millions of people. If we do what they wish and give up our gas guzzling cars but they turn out to have been wrong then it's a pain but no one dies.

The problem is that if they are right the consequenses of doing nothing are so catastrophic that is it not worth doing it just in case? (Playing devils advocate for a moment)

It is very hard arguement for the car lobby to win.

My view, as someone with a chemistry back ground and a reasonable understanding of the science involved is that the climate is changing, for the worse. If it isn't caused by us then there is nothing we can do anyway so we should just prepare for the worst. If it is caused by us then by the time the world as a whole acts to change it we will be past the point of no return anyway.

But then wait! hangon, 30 years ago, didn't people vote for a free trade agreement within Europe, the EEC. Or did they vote for a United States of Europe. No could never happen surely.Perphaps that's what this Government is doing, making laws so proposterous that the people have to use the European courts, whom then give the Government a slap on the wrists, people say "well Europe isn't so bad after all, then before we know it we're in.

I don't think you need to worry about Europe for the time being. After all the people have spoken. They didn't vote for a United states of europe which is why the French said no and the Dutch said no.

However give a bit of time and we may well become the 51st state of America! People bang on about Europe but how much of what happens in this country is determined by US policy....

johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 10:30
My, i'm genuinely pleased with the way these posts are going. Some food for thought there most certainly, i'm not afraid to say that although I don't agree with every comment, i've learnt quite abit from Nigel's and Peter's last posts. However, far from giving up, the little people can make a difference if they put their minds to it.

Peter wrote "However give a bit of time and we may well become the 51st state of America! People bang on about Europe but how much of what happens in this country is determined by US policy"

Hmm, having lived in the US for abit, now that I would like to see. A constitution that matters, a 9L truck, cheaper petrol prices, the right to buy however many guns I can fit into my truck, on a drivers license! The right to shoot the burglars who invade my home,cheap flying, hmmm tempting.

Hehe, had yer fooled there didn't I. Don't worry about the above, I just put that in bring the level down abit. I'm quite happy typing away in my overcrowded town.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 10:52

Hmm, having lived in the US for abit, now that I would like to see. A constitution that matters, a 9L truck, cheaper petrol prices, the right to buy however many guns I can fit into my truck, on a drivers license! The right to shoot the burglars who invade my home,cheap flying, hmmm tempting.

LOL....I used to quite fancy the idea of living in America until I realised that there speed limts are lower than ours and enforced with just as much vigour. Not to mention that in some states what you and your wife/girlfirend get up to in the bed room is dictated by the courts. The fact that in some towns they have a limit on how many beers you can drink in one sitting, about three If I remember correctly. Then lets not forget the fact that it's only the land of the free if you agree with the right wing christian fundamentallists.

Land of the free? More like nation of nutters!

Appologies to any American readers. Much of this is from Bill Brysons 'Notes from a big country'. Since he actually is American I think he view is quite valid. Big Smile

Edited by Peter Fenwick
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 12:59
hehe,

You're right, there are indeed some potty laws, so much so that on Sky there was a whole tv series devoted to them. I think there was one whereby you couldn't throw a moose out of a moving aircraft. Worst still, is that not only do we get the laws from America, we get the Euro ones too, aaaahhh I've dug up a couple below:

1.Arizona:
Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.

2.California:
No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

3.Colorado:
Residents may not own chickens, but may own up to three turkeys.

4.Connecticut:
In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce.

5.Florida:
You may not flatuate in a public place after 6 P.M. on Thursdays.

6.Idaho:
You may not fish on a camel's back

7.Iowa:
One-armed piano players must perform for free.

8.Kansas:
If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

9.Maine:
You may not step out of a plane in flight.

10.New Jersey:
It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder

and my favourite

12. Montana:
It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.

13.Vermont:

Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

Dear oh dear, Peter, I most certainly think we agree on this one

Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 14:16

Just been reading the above, all very interesting....

I have no problem with Gatso's, I think there placement is a little suspect and feel that if more were placed outside schools,colleges,shopping centres and other busy "populated" areas it would be hard pressed for any of the arguments against cameras to be valid.

One thing we have to remember is that to be able to drive a car is not a right, it's something you earn by passing your driving test and abidding by the rules of the road (the law).  Exactly the same as it's against the law to break into someone's house and still something that they have because you want it or you want the money it cost - no, what you do is get a job, earn the money and buy it yourself. 

Now I speed, I often travel at 80 to 90 mph on motorways, I see this as safe in the right conditions BUT accept that I am breaking the law, I also accept that I could be caught and punished for doing so, if I get caught often enough I will lose the privelge to drive my car.  How can I complain? 

If I break into enough houses and get caught then I would expect to get stopped, by going to prison.  It's the samething, there are rules/laws that in this society we all live by.  These rules have to be enforced one way or another.

I travel about 20K miles a year, I speed, and I don't speed - if I see a camera I pass it at the limit (according to the speedo on the car/bike I am in) and I have never had a ticket.  So I have no issues with the accuracy of the cameras.  If I was foolish enough to risk speeding and I got caught it would be my fault, not the Police/camera partnership/goverment etc.  I was speeding, in my car so it's my fault.

Another argument I often hear is "I didn't know what the limit was", again how is this a valid argument - look at the highway code, it it's not a marked limit but there are regular lamposts then it's 30mph (not n motorways obv.), otherwise, use your eyes, the clues are normally there!  And if you are not sure then be careful, drive at 30mph!

We can all disagree with the way some limits are set, the way some cameras are positioned but something I see reguarly around Farnborough is Police in traffic cars, parked in side roads near schools/shops with speed guns stopping people for speeding in 30mph, speed there and you should get the book thrown at you for being so stupid.  I have no problem with cameras on motorways if it means that the Traffic Police can concentrate on catching idiots near schools while still maintaning a degree of law/order on motorways.

Now driving standards... thats another issue...

Cheer,

Bryce.

Bryce,
Volvo FL614/Saxon (1996)(HFRS).
BMW 525i SE touring (1992)
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2005 at 16:17

Been quite a thoughtful topic this one, and one I have followed with interest.  As far as speed goes I agree if you exceed the limits you take your chance as it is illegal, whether we agree with the way it is enforced or not.

In line with Peter's comments on the environment changing for the worse, on the news earlier they asked Bill Oddie for opinions, he refused to name names but I think the gist was progress can't be made unless we all work together, and while European governments refuse to listen to anything they don't want to hear, and the US refuses to do anything at all, nothing can happen to change things.

I do like the list of silly laws, every country has them!

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2005 at 04:26
[QUOTE=Bryce]   I have no problem with cameras on motorways if it means that the Traffic Police can concentrate on catching idiots near schools while still maintaning a degree of law/order on motorways.

Bryce, what could possibly be gained by having cameras on motorways? Already you have idiots breaking hard for Gatso's when they're not even exceeding the limit, if they're too dumb to do it on minor roads etc, then what are the consequences likely to be on the motorway?
Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2005 at 14:52

And exactly what happens when drivers come across a Police car at 60mph in lane 1 or parked up on one of those humps with a speed gun pointing at them? 

The outcome is the same as for speed cameras (apart from it takes ages to get past the Police car at 68mph!!!).  This is a argument regarding driving standards not the method of Policing the limits we agree to obey by taking and passing our driving test.

I have no right to drive at 50mph in a 30 limit and no right to drive at 90mph on a motorway, I make a decision that in some circumstances it's safe for me to speed - but it's not right, is it?

Then again, I am lucky enough to own a motorcycle and attend track days where I can go quickly in a safe enviroment and get it out of my system!

Cheers,

Bryce.

Bryce,
Volvo FL614/Saxon (1996)(HFRS).
BMW 525i SE touring (1992)
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2005 at 19:32
It may not be right but as you may well know doing the track days, there may be occasions where appropriate use of the throttle is needed prevent an accident, especially on a motorcycle.

As an amateur motorcycle racer myself,apart from the likes of the advanced motorist courses which are on par, the track teaches you more about you machine than any amount of road driving/riding would ever teach you.The reason Advancd Motoring courses are useful, is because the emphisis is on observation. Whilst observation may include monitoring for speed, 99.9% of it takes place outside of the vehicle.

In fact i no longer ride on the roads because the standard of driving is so low and there's simply no fun in it anymore. Self preservation is a key element too, especially when some Doris in her Volvo would pull out of a side road, then declare, "sorry love, I didn't see you".

Driving under the speed limit DOES NOT in itself make a safe driver, it's fiction. Concentrating on the road, the conditions, looking at what other drivers in cars are doing, checking over the shoulder/blindspots prior to overtaking, respecting others even though they may be infuriating are IMO more crucial than keeping an eye on the speedo every 5milliseconds.

Try for yourself a running commentary when you next drive and observe potential dangers, speed limits, line markings etc and then tell us on here whether the drive itself appeared different than usual.
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 06:59

vehicle.

In fact i no longer ride on the roads because the standard of driving is so low and there's simply no fun in it anymore. Self preservation is a key element too, especially when some Doris in her Volvo would pull out of a side road, then declare, "sorry love, I didn't see you".

Driving under the speed limit DOES NOT in itself make a safe driver, it's fiction. Concentrating on the road, the conditions, looking at what other drivers in cars are doing, checking over the shoulder/blindspots prior to overtaking, respecting others even though they may be infuriating are IMO more crucial than keeping an eye on the speedo every 5milliseconds.

As an ex motorbiker I have to agree with this, I like speed but the stadard of driving these days is appalling and getting worse. I often find myself sitting behind someone "infuriating" but unable to safely overtake, only for some plonker to come flying past both of us in a suicidal place. And how annoying is it when someone at a side road/junction looks, sees you coming, then at the last second pulls slowly out in front of you? Most of my time on bikes was spent watching out for idiots, I still think a requirement of the driving test should be a couple of months on a moped, you realise how vulnerable you are and see how others bad driving can affect you!

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 08:14
Personally, i think everyone who's able to do so, should have to ride a motorcycle for 2 years priorto passing their test, the accident rate would proberley be next to nothing. Saying that though, I couldn't imagine my old dear on a Hyabusa.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 08:33
[QUOTE=rubberknees50]

" Most of my time on bikes was spent watching out for idiots, I still think a requirement of the driving test should be a couple of months on a moped, you realise how vulnerable you are and see how others bad driving can affect you"

Agree 100%--But it wont happen-Much to Sensible , like including a SkidPan session and a Motorway session in a NEW 2 Part Test.

These idea,s have been stated for 25 + years, DFT couldnt care a So much easier to blame road users , than implement a stricter driving test wth higher standards, which would keep the number of drivers/Riders down.Germany has a very strict exam in parts, like we should have started.I got knocked off Bikes twice, once on the M4 M/way in the middle lane

SAFETYFAST
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 10:46
Exactly, they couldn't care less, nor is there any money in it.
johno1066 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 10:47
Nigel may comment on this one but I don't even think the advanced motorist courses undertake the skidpan anymore.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2005 at 13:05

As far as I'm aware they never did, they certainly don't now, it is however available to you.

The BMWCC do a good job on this too, Howard Walker, Jeff Heywood, and I believe our very own John Safe organise these events throughout the year at a very very reasonable cost, actually cheaper than I can do it through the police.

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic