Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNOISE DRIVING ME CRAZY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2005 at 20:09
On my engine its the one circled red in the pictures can someone tell me what this is.

thanks.
Sponsored Links

skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 05:29
Jus found out what it is and it seems to be the power steering pump.

LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 11:17
Don't take this the wrong way skanders, but I would advise against working further on your car until you understand what you are doing.

You could be doing more damage than good.

However, if you are feeling in a fearless mood, you can establish whether the part that you have worked on is the power steering pump by checking to see if there are  pipes going to the steering rack.

If so, it is the ps pump.  The oil that dripped out should also be a different colour from the oil in your engine (usually red)

I've never heard a worn ps pump clatter before as they usually whine, but I could be wrong.  Once again, if you want to determine whether it is this unit that is cauing the noise, isolate it by removing the belt.

Also, what do you mean when you say you opened the pump?  Most PS pumps tend to be sealed units nowadays.

I can't really make out what the unit is in the pci above.

Edited by LuxAuto
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 12:35
Yes  it is the power steering pump the noise has stopped but the  fluid is low and i have to power steering.

But now since putting the rad back in the car is overheating again as it did before but was fixed replaced the thermo, coupling, definately have to be an airlock.

LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 12:42
if the system was not overheating prior to you removing it, then it is an airlock.
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 16:29
Yes solved that but would low power steering fluid  cause an  all mighty  screeching noise when the revs are above 2000rpm cos that is what it is doing now  but when the car is  idling  its ok  no noise
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 16:31
please it would be a great help if u could provide the best  and detailed info if you can as i  have been at it since  10.30am this morning and hav only stopped  jus now and am extremely stressed and upset.

I dont wanna take to an engineer jus yet cos it may be really simpler
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 17:21
If  you are getting a screeching noise when you rev the engine (a noise like wheel spinning), then it's the drive belt (either PAS and/or alternator). 

It's probably worn and will need replacing.  Examine the belt for cracks and wear along the sides.  If  the belt is OK, examine the pulleys.

It's difficult to give you detailed advice because I don;t know what you are doing.  You are jumping from one place to another and not updating as you go along.

Tell me what you have done (from the beginning) and I'll do my best.

LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 17:23
What is your current problem?

Lets start form there instead.
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 17:35
Ok my current problem is that i am now getting a whining noise from the engine, as i have explained in previous posts that i was originally getting a rattling noise and some suggested that it was the oil viscosity so i drained and topped up still the rattle remained took the belt off and it went away no more rattle inspected the water pump and it was ok decided to go for the power steering pump and took it out it sounded a bit rattly like something was moving around in there so popped it back in and then started the engine no more rattle but now a whining  noise as explained in the next few steps as and when and how it happens
-
When it is idling below the 1000rpm mark its fine no noise
-
But when u step on the accelerator and up the revs it starts to  make a horrible whining and screeching kind of noise when it is above 1000rpm and above
-
Dont think it is the belt as i have checked it and it was fine
-
Made sure the belt was'nt coming off or off position seemed fine.
-
Power steering fluid is low so i am wanting to know if this would make that horrible noise i have no power steering and turning the wheel is almost impossible if you guys want arms like arnie forget the gym come and steer my car lol
-
any ideas sorry for the mixed posts but i am totally stressed
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 17:53
OK, first  thing, if you are low on  power steering fluid,  don't start up the engine again until you've topped it up.   You risk damaging both the pump and the rack if you  run it with insufficient fluid.

Once, you have bought some fluid, top it up as necessary and then bleed it.  Not sure about BMWs, but the beelding process should be the same no matter what car you drive.  Leave the cap off the reservior and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, slowly and smoothly.

Do this for a couple of minutes.

The heavy steering is caused by the low fluid level.

Did you have this screeching problem before you removed the PAS pump?

Also, although you have checked the belt condition, have you checked that it is tight enough? Screeching is usually indicative of a worn belt, end even though there aren't any cracks etc, the sides could be worn.  V belts use their sides to drive the pulleys, so wear isnt always immeidately apparent.  Are the sides of the belt all shiney?

Whining is more indicative of a worn pump or rack, but usually pump.

Edited by LuxAuto
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 18:40
No i didnt have the screeching problem before i removed the pump it was a rattling sound but it was a rattling as soon as u start the engine and at idle but was very intermittent.
-
But now as mentioned it does not rattle or whine at idle but occurs when the car is revved above 1000rpm
-
The side of the belt is not shiny looks a bit rugged though but have checked that it is on ok and not rubbing anywhere also is it normal for the belt to get warm
-
And another thing which is baffling me is that the rattle has gone away if the pump was on its way out or was damaged would not the rattle jus continue on rather than shut up why would it stop when taken out and put back ? in cos i would take that the pump is whining cos of low steering fluid after reading various posts on other sites and googling this problem.
-

LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2005 at 13:19
Get some oil into the pas system and  let me know how you get on.  Until you've topped up the fluid,  there's not much point  in discussing anything else as you might find  all your problems  cured by then.

From my expereince, worn pumps tend to whine rather than clatter.  The only time I have heard a pas pump clatter was when the mounting bolts had come loose. 

Insufficient fluid as well as air in the system can cause screeching but whether it is the belt or pump remains to be seen.  Put some fluid in it and we'll take it from there.
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2005 at 14:11
Well i gave up and hung up the bat sign and called ma dad who is way more experienced with cars and  can almost  fix anything anyway he had a look and says that it is the tensioner that has had it.

The place that it goes in comes out as well as the spring i did notice that the belt was running a little wobbly but it has been working fine like this thus far.

So i need a new tensioner and a new belt.

The power steering is ok and has returned after filling it up any idea how much or where i can get one from.

thanks. 
GavMac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2005 at 14:21

Euro Car Parts, GSF, or BMW

About £38 for tensioner and £15 - 20 for new belt.

Gav

M3 Evo
Grubbins View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 06:57

Hi

Not to add to the confussion here, but quote from Skanders earlier post "I then checked the oil filter jus in case it was rattling around in their while doing that the oil went everywhere it went on the pulley wheels and the belt,"

Could that be causing the screaching sound?  Has this all been cleaned up?

LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 12:39
No because the oil filter is actually compressed  against the top , and from memoery has rubbers at the base and top, so there should be no opportunity for rattling.  Rattling will only  occur if a foreign object was present.

Also, as the filter housing is full of oil, any noise would be suppressed by the oil.  Even if rattling was to occur, I doubt it would be loud enough to turn heads.

Oil on the pulleys,a although likely to cause slissping shouldn;t screech as the oil will be lubricating the two contact surfaces.

Think he has sorted it anyway, the belt tensioner was worn.
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 14:11
Yes it seems that way  my dad says that one of the nuts on the tensioner  was loose and thats what caused it to slip.

anyway bmw want £75 for a new tensioner and £30 for a new belt way expensive but if its got to be done then i will.

thanks hope i will have my car back in on the road as i miss the damn thing.

jus 2 more ? would a loss of tension cause the rattling sound that i mentioned in the first place.

And should the belt run completely straight on the pulleys without it wobbling or does it wobble just a little bit.

cheers.
LuxAuto View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 14:43
No, loss of tension would not cause rattling, unless the tension loss was a result of the tensioner coming loose, in which case yes.

The belt and pulleys should be perfectly straight.  There might be a  very slight wobble due to the runout on the pulleys but anymore than that and the belt is too loose.

To determine the correct belt tension, a rough rule of thumb is to turn the belt (at it's longest run) through 90 degrees. If you can just about achieve this, it should be tight enough, anymore than this, then the belt is too loose.
skanders View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 15:18
Yup when he got the tensioner out the spring had come out and it wouild not not go back in and stay in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic