Forum Locked540i Buying advice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2005 at 14:04
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Oh, well I've actually seen a RHD 540 manual with a 6 speed box.

That would be a license to burn rear tyres.  Sounds fun, great for loads of tyre smoke.  I was behind an E34 540i this afternoon when I was returning from site.  Certainly roared off from the lights, didn't even attempt to keep up with him. 

Looked a bit tired and starting to rust around the boot lid.  M plate I think it was.  Shifty looking bloke driving it though.

V8.....drool.....slober....

Site agent I met with today has a MG ZT V8.  More dribbling noises.... T'is a 4.6 Mustang engine he was telling me which means it is easy to convert to a turbocharged engine apparently.

Gawd nows why you would want to make a scarily fast car, faster.   18 months old and it cost him £11k after the Rover collapse.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2005 at 14:05

Hi Andrew, yes i have driven a 540 e34 but only an auto, and yes i have had an hartge and a e34 b10 bi turbo one of the fastest bmw`s ever built and its a 6 pot 3.5  m30 i do belive

But yes the 540 is a powerfull car ,only imo if the guys wants a sporty e34 i would go for a manual not an auto ,and peter not all manual 540`s were sports, so yes when you say you have seen a manual 540 in rhd i do not doubt you, but it would not have been a sport (v5)

Edited by b8alk
dangerous100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2005 at 14:57

if i could have found a manual when i was looking i would of had it.end of!  as it is there were two on ebay the week after i bought mine,sods law or what.it depends what you want it for really.mine was bought for a road car plus track and drag car.

bryan

93 540ia,superchip,k+n panel filter and nitrous.118000miles
bencolem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2005 at 15:26

Unless most of your time is spent at a drag strip I've always felt that 30-70mph is a much more accurate, real world performance indicator - the 540iA posts 6.7s 0-60mph and 5.2s 30-70mph. This latter time indicates a car with serious performance. Having just come from a BMW with 325hp sraight six that weighs approx. 200kg lighter I can assure you that the 540i would be left wondering where the ZM went off the lights but with kickdown from say 50-70mph I can't honestly say there's anything in it - although there's much less drama in the 540i.

It really depends how you want to use your performance. The 540i isn't a sports car, it's a luxury car and one of the car's biggest luxuries is the effortless pull of the big V8 engine. The 535i engine is more highly stressed (bhp/ltr) and perhaps the biggest indicator of the character of both engines is that the 540i has more torque than power, while the 535 has less torque than power (my 540 maybe nearly 40bhp down on my ZM but it's nearly 30lb.ft up).

Edited by bencolem
zeeny99999 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2005 at 19:36
This is good info guys !

Well Im going to go for the 540i E34, will try and get one on as later plate as possible, most of them seem to be L, M, N etc.

I've got about £1000 to spend on mods, im looking for straight line speed, so not really looking at suspension upgrades.

People have mentioned;

Induction Kits
SuperChip.

I dont see any mention of performance exhausts !

Dont really want to got the nitrous route as thats not what im looking for.

Any recommendations for mods for under a grand (engine!)

Thanx !
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 06:47

for a grand i would probably go k+n panel filter(£40),chop the end off the airbox(free) and a superchip(£293).i also run mine on optimax.i dont think you see much gain from an exhaust and they are bloody expensive for a decent stainless.

i would also take a look at an m5 six speed diff,as it has a slightly higher ratio for improved acceleration.this is what i am looking for next.

if you can find one you might get a secondhand supercharger kit for a grand(i haven't found one yet).which will give you 406bhp.the cheapest i have found so far is from ess which is about £3500.

other than that theres not much about for the engine i am afraid.

bryan

chasseur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 07:37

Bencolem, I have a 540  6 speed manual whaich was Chipped by Jayson & has the mod from dangerous & Your Zm wont leave mine in any situation at all!

Scoobys, Twin turbo Mits,3000zx's all tried none have lost or beat it yet!

I have a Maserati Ghibli & that would struggle to lose this Beemer,Jayson did a great Job!

dangerous : things I dont like on it are the steering ,I think the M5 rack might fit.I also am on the lookout for a s\chager & have been toying with the idea that the jag V8 system would fit???

Or what about a E\s\charger??

bencolem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 10:31

Should just re-iterate what has already been said about the gearing of the 540iA on this thread. The gearing is so long in top that - whilst its no a lot slower than the ZM than from say 50-90mph it really doesn't pull anywhere near as fast above 110mph (research obviously not conducted on the public highway officer).

Chasseur, glad you like your 540 with a manual box and this is not meant with any disrespect, but there would honestly be no situation that I can think of where your car would be as quick as the ZM (apart from when carrying four people I suppose!). No disrepect, I'm sure your's is a very quick car but it wouldn't be as quick as the ZM - even with the M3 CSL it's still the fastest accelerating production BMW that EVO magazine have tested and if your 540 is by no means disgraced in a sraight line (which I'm sure it wouldn't be) it wouldn't see where it went in the twisties! Anyway, this is meant to be a 5 series discussion board and I certainly shouldn't be highjacking it with ZM threads!

bencolem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 10:32

P.S.

I've been advised that an exhaust would be a much more effective (albeit expensive) performance upgrade than an intake modification...

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 11:06

i cant comment on the exhaust ben, but as you can only legally do cat back,and the fact that it looks pretty much straight through as it is.the noise would be nice but until my factory one drops off i think i will leave it alone.i was quoted around £300 for a two box system or £500 for a three box system.both of these were from powerflow.

i think if you are allready accelerating from say 70 (so it is in third gear)then its not two bad over the ton.but,and its a big but,if you are cruising at a ton and nail it the gearbox has no where to go but fourth gear and takes ages to pick up speed.i got caught napping by an a4 tdi the other day and could not catch him let alone over take him untill i was pushing 130-140(a4 was probably flat out by then?)

this is one reason why i am looking at a higher ratio diff from an m5.

bryan

Paul_540i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2005 at 14:20
I had a manual 540 and changed it for a manual 840! Wouldn't touch the auto TBH, they're just so uninvolving to drive you feel like a passenger. Even the ones with buttons on the steering wheel, quite slow to change and in no way comparable to SMG. But it depends whether you enjoy driving and feeling like you have full control of the car. The 6-speed gearbox is rock solid, never heard of them going wrong.

They're not particularly quick off the line, I had a 300+ BHP WRX before and it would obliterate the 540 (and 840) off the line without a shadow of doubt. More power, much lighter and all-wheel drive (3 limited slip diffs) meant 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds if you don't mind giving the clutch some abuse! Above say 120 MPH the 540 may be a match due to better aerodynamics and less transmission loss. But the manual BMWs are still good fun round the twisty roads and much better long-distance cruisers.

Paul.
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic