Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked740i 1998 blown head gasket???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2006 at 17:17
Just checked the ETK price list (mine is 2 yrs old) for a (viscous) `fan coupling` it is £202.00 incl vat. Mine took me 10 minutes with generic fan clutch tools to replace.

Dealer should change 0.5 hours to do the job.
Sponsored Links

sevenforty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 15:44
ive gone through all the invoices over the weekend and am going to go back to BMW saying i want £1500 back so fingers crossed,
also can anyone help, i have the standard car phone fitted (a wired in brick) and i understand it just clips out and you can replace it with a more upto-date cradle, to fit other models and all operations can stil be done through the steering wheel, i have tried unclipping it but cant seem to do it, and also where would i get a cradle from? do they do one for the 6310i? any ideas or help would be good
cheers
740i
andrewthompson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 16:48
Good luck with your refund. How far have you driven your car this weekend? Presumingly without problems?

You may want to post your query on the BMW nav forum on Yahoo. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwnav/ they have a number of people modifying their phones.

Some phone companies will "duel" two phones so if one is off the other will ring, this may be the cheapest solution.

I have an old Nokia car kit in mine, it works well but I do not get phone messages on the cluster.

Thw ultimate solution is Bluetooth however it seems plaged with problems.
sevenforty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2006 at 16:59
have driven it about 60 miles and no problems yet, all the power is there, and all seems OK, have another reasonbly long drive tomorrow so will check again then, gonna ask for a longer warranty on the parts aswell as there is only 3 months standard, and ask for a free check after a certain ammount of miles to make sure all is OK, ill check out that site, cheers
740i
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2006 at 07:34

I know mine is just a tiddely E39 M52 engine in comparison but.... I did manage to get my viscous fan off at the weekend.  I took me 5 mins to get the tools manoeuvred into position and loosen the nut.  A bit more fiddling to get the fan cowling off with the fan. 

Max cost should be 1/2 hours labour.  I reckon even £200 from BMW is taking the wee wee.

Just out of interest could you/did you ever push the blades around (WITH THE ENGINE STOPPED!!) on the old viscous coupling and get a feel for the resistance so that you could compare it to your new coupling.  A knackered viscous coupling should be very easy to push the fan blades around by hand.

Good luck with it.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
andrewthompson View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2006 at 10:00
Hi sevenforty,
How is your car going now you must have done a few more miles now?

Just a thought you may want someone else to do quick hydromenter test on the coolant to make sure you still have the correct concentration. With all these problems somebody may have added water somewhere along the way!! Of course they would never admit to that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic