Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Salad cream’ in oil filler cap ?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GraemeH View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 11:01
If I'm doing my maths correctly: 6 year old car, over 100k. Thus 15-20k a year. Above average mileage. Milky substance under oil cap. Market for E39s a buyers market. . .Gut reaction: walk.
Sponsored Links

PeteV View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2006 at 10:58

Hi folks,

Just been to look at a 528i (build date on inner wing says September 1999). Care was great, only when I came to take a look inside the oil filler cap, there was a fair bit (enough to make a medium sandwhich!!) of the whiteish 'salad cream' deposit that can sometimes signify head problems. There were also a couple of visible drops of water below the cap, but no obvious signs of water on the dipstick. Dealer also reconed that he'd done an oil change about six weeks ago - if true, how come so much 'condensation' in such a short space of time ??

Dealer immediately says, "don't worry, that's just condensation sir as it hasn't been driven in weeks"..but well he probably would, I guess?!

Anyway, the car has clocked up just over the 100k mark, and the last owner seems to have done less than 5k miles in the last year, so it could well be he's correct with the condenstaion story.

In all other respects the car is fine, and the price is very keen too. So, do I chance my arm here & hope that it turns out OK, or that something minor is wrong, like a blocked crank case breather, or do I walk away??

Many thanks for all advice !!

Pete.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic