Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 11:24
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Keep to the limit,

Even though it's demonstrably more dangerous?

So it's not about saving lives then? It's more about adherence to the law?

because you can't hope to match the speed of every other vehicle out there.

I could aim for a median, though. It's easy enough. And it's a lot safer.

Let them come to your speed (as they should).
If you are the slowest just stay in lane one.

No other person is going to slow down because I'm travelling at the speed limit -- I have proven this repeatedly on the motorway. I've also never slowed down because some old duffer in lane one is doing 60 on a motorway, either.

And I'm not the slowest, there are HGV's I want to overtake. But because I dare not go over the speed limit, lest I invoke the wrath of Be'elzebub, I will slow down all the other cars who are going faster than the speed limit when I do, possibly causing an accident and probably increasing everyone else's stress levels.

And it's demonstrably less safe than just travelling at the same speed as everyone else.

But you're saying I should be less safe, and more within the law?

So it's NOT all about safety then?
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 11:43

all these points point back to the outdated driving test

why is there two levels of the test. standard and advanced.

why are new drivers not shown how to drive on motorways.

why are driving tests not carried out every 5years on everybody.

its not the speed that kills its the nut behind the wheel not observing whats going on around him and acting on it. when travaling at speed you are more attentive to your surroundings. when slower driving for long periods you are more distracted.

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 12:41

Im all for variable speed limits but think, as others have said before, there are times when the limit should be above 70. 

Two clear examples spring to mind are road works where people are risking AND losing their lives.  Have the speed limit dead slow during the time they are working but higher when they are not.  OK maybe not higher than 70 but  I find nothing more irritating than going through road works at 30/40 when theres no-one there. 

And the other is on the motorways/dual carriageways at night when theres nothing for miles and Im pottering down the road at 70.

But I agree with 20 mph zones round places where kids are about.

And .. wouldnt it be safer if lane changing was not allowed say 200 metres before and after motorway junctions and in crawling motorway traffic?

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 13:08
I have said before that I personally think that a small increase in the 70 limit on motorways could be accomodated with variable limits on motorways. I don't think that unlit sections at night would be a good idea for that though, as you still have to be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear (ie avoid something stationary & unlit in the road, such as a broken down car in lane 3.)

That said there are other considerations as well with the setting of speed limits, not just safety.
Things such as noise pollution & emissions.
I believe the last time a speed limit increase was ruled out it was on the basis of noise pollution & recent government reports have suggested that enforcing our current motorway limits, rather than raising them, is important to help us meet our obligations to international treaties with regards to emission level controls.

I personally would rather see more focus to keep traffic flowing better within our current limits, than focus on raising them. After all a higher limit is no good if you are sat stationary in a jam.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 13:11

I personally rather would see more focus to keep traffic flowing better within our current limits than focus on raising them. After all a higher limit is no good if you are sat stationary in a jam.

This is heading off topic again, so I'd like to bring the focus back to why an advanced driver and safety enthusiast is advocating that adherence to the speed limit is more important than demonstrably safer driving?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 15:31
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

This is heading off topic again, so I'd like to bring the focus back to why an advanced driver and safety enthusiast is advocating that adherence to the speed limit is more important than demonstrably safer driving?

I don't agree that it is demonstrably safer in what you suggest.
Firstly as you move to match the speed of the faster traffic you move further away from the slower traffic.

What you gain on one side you lose on the other.

If we are going to have speed limits at all, they need to be enforced or they are pointless and I am certainly of the opinion that we are safer with them than without them.

From what I see of driving standards on our roads it is not safe to leave the decision on what is a safe maximum to people beyond our limits. The skill levels are not up to it.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 15:41

I don't agree that it is demonstrably safer in what you suggest.
Firstly as you move to match the speed of the faster traffic you move further away from the slower traffic.

You will always have a disparity in speed, livvy, even if there were only law-abiding 70MPH motorists and 55MPH HGV drivers (in itself, the exact differential that his analysis pointed out was dangerous!)

But my point is that if the average speed of road users is 85MPH on a given stretch of road, then you are NOT driving as safely at 70MPH as would be if you joined them at 85MPH. Its all about reducing the differential between your speed and theirs. If you are driving at 80 when everyone else is driving at 85 (or faster), then you are safer than if you are driving at 70 and everyone else is driving at 85 (or faster).

Yet you are saying we should ignore the safety aspect demonstrated by his fairly rigorous analysis, and drive less safely at 70MPH despite the fact that it substantially increases the risk of someone dying.

How do you justify this if you really are concerned with lowering RTA fatalities and injuries?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 17:17
Because the aim and thrust of the legislation & enforcement is to reduce the disparity by making people not go beyond the limits.

If that is not working sufficiently then perhaps the better option & thus one you would perhaps support in light of your evidence that it is safer without (or with minimal) disparity, would be to use a more efficient system of enforcement such as SPECS.

I have advocated SPECS as being a more effective camera system than GATSOs so perhaps that is the way to go. I believe they would be more effective at controling speed differentials over greater distances than current systems. They certainly have been in my experience of travelling through them.

That would seem to be the most sensible route to bringing lowest speed, closest to highest speed & with both closest to the median. More so than what you seem to suggest anyway.
What you suggest will have a larger differential than the current maximum between LGV limits & car limits.

Are we agreed then, more effective enforcement of the 70 limit will address your concerns most effectively.
i.e. Anyone over it gets caught & if they keep doing it they'll be off the road.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 18:51

That would seem to be the most sensible route to bringing lowest speed, closest to highest speed & with both closest to the median. More so than what you seem to suggest anyway.

I'm not suggesting anything, livvy, I'm quoting a physicist who has done a far more rigorous analysis of this than I ever would.

I tend to stick to the speed limit as much as I can, although I may have to review this policy in the light of research that seems to suggest that sometimes by obeying the speed limit I am driving unsafely.

Because I don't particularly want to die in an RTA.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 19:01
Perhaps you could lend your support to SPECS systems then.
After all they would help in promoting the safe climate that he suggests & thus aid your safety on the road.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 19:19
Livvy, you are dragging this away from the question I posed.  You preach at us about road safety, yet when presented with evidence that we should take the behaviour of other drivers into account, which may cause us to break the law to drive in the safest fashion, you insist that we should uphold the law, even though it exposes us to a significant increase in risk of death or serious injury.

You may well protest that this or that may make people drive at a given speed, but since those things are not there, and people do break the speed limit en masse, WHY should I place myself and my family at a far greater level of risk by adhering to the speed limit when those around me are not doing the same thing?

A sanctimonious sense of smugness from adhering to the law will not accompany me to the graveside of my passenger if I survive.
Ciao,
Spokey

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 19:42
I think people should take to driving cars that can't exceed the limit for a while, and see it from a different perspective..
(..and no, this isn't a cue for limiters to be introduced.. Livvy.. )
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 19:45

How many cars do you know of that can't break the limit without limiters ?

Even wifeys three cylinder 1 litre suzuki can do that !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 19:55
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

How many cars do you know of that can't break the limit without limiters ?

Even wifeys three cylinder 1 litre suzuki can do that !

Evening Biggles..

Well, maybe they can (and I've been a passenger in one of those Swifts - and they can travel a bit) but I wouldn't want to go any faster than 80 in Kez's Vit - I tend to stick to 70 in that and let everything just pass me.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 20:01

Perhaps you could lend your support to SPECS systems then.
After all they would help in promoting the safe climate that he suggests & thus aid your safety on the road.

livvy, have I said ANYTHING that would make you think that I support ANY kind of scamera ANYWHERE?

For the sake of the avoidance of any doubt what so ever: I do not agree with camera-based enforcement of speed regulations ANYWHERE. Not even outside schools. I do support engineering and signage improvements / amendments in black spots or high-risk areas. I do support better education and better technical training. I do support re-testing.

I disagree vehemently with your assertion that we should be paranoid about unmarked rozzers in our midst. The police are here to serve the community, NOT to be feared and to threaten us. It does no good for the police when they are feared or considered a threat because they then become the enemy of the people they are supposed to serve, and at some point, bad things will come of that.

Your whole argument and position smacks of the distasteful nature of current traffic law enforcement: the police must intimidate and bully us into complying, they must sneak around incognito and spy on us, they must use an enormous net that they can review at a later stage at their leisure to see if we have done anything wrong and punish us for it. They must always wield a stick. Every infraction must be punished.

If you were to raise a child using that approach, the adult would be a dysfunctional, paranoid sociopath. Do you want a nation filled with people like that? Do you want every driver to be like that?

I don't.
Ciao,
Spokey

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 20:15
One thing that I do find helps, are those signs that light up to say you are going too fast.. It makes you take notice of your speed and alter it accordingly.
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 20:38

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

One thing that I do find helps, are those signs that light up to say you are going too fast.. It makes you take notice of your speed and alter it accordingly.

You will be amazed ( and I don't say this smugly), as to how that doesn't happen once you've passed your advanced test and practised it a little.

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2006 at 20:56
I'm not being smug either, but I can't remember the last time a sign like that lit up for me. But if my attention did stray from my speedo, I'd far rather a sign told me that I was speeding so that I could fix it there and then, as opposed to getting a NIP in the post a fortnight later. Slowing down at the time might save a life. The NIP certainly could be a fortnight too late.

However, this is all a distraction from my main point.

A detailed analysis of the risk factors in driving has been done, and a differential in speed is a huge risk factor. If everyone else is breaking the limit, then joining them is the safest thing to do.

I don't think Safety is negotiable

Yet, livvy tells us that we should do the UNSAFE thing and stick to the speed limit.

I would like to ask livvy to please explain why exactly I should maintain my current driving habits when I now know that unilaterally adhering to speed limits is placing me at a substantially higher risk of dying in an RTA.

This is not an arbitrary point. My life is at stake, and a safety-advocating policewoman is telling me that I should ignore some fairly clear safety advice and stick to the law.

If I die from adhering to the law, will livvy (or the police in general) financially support my child? If my child dies from my adherence to the law, will livvy (or the police in general) be able to bring her back?

Edited by spokey
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 07:08

Keep to the limit,

Even though it's demonstrably more dangerous?

So it's not about saving lives then? It's more about adherence to the law?

Exactly.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:09

I would like to ask livvy to please explain why exactly I should maintain my current driving habits when I now know that unilaterally adhering to speed limits is placing me at a substantially higher risk of dying in an RTA.

This is not an arbitrary point. My life is at stake, and a safety-advocating policewoman is telling me that I should ignore some fairly clear safety advice and stick to the law.

It's not demonstrably safer.

He appears to be working from a simplistic view that you are travelling slower than the flow so it is safer for you to go with the flow. What he is not accounting for is others that don't do that. Others who's speed will now have a greater differential because of your increase to go with the faster vehicles. There is no mention of them.

LGVs have limiters, they can't increase their speed to go with the flow. If you match speed with faster vehicles you move further from their speed, increasing risk not decreasing it in relation to them. With the variations in speed of vehicles you will never be able to accurately judge the median, you will always be above or below it, so you will find it nigh on impossible to hit the optimum speed. Particularly as the gap between fastest & slowest gets greater.

As the LGVs can't up their speed & if we are trying to to get a flow where we are broadly fairly close together in terms of speed, the best model is to more rigorously enforce the 70 limit. This of course will have some variations but far more acceptable safety wise, with the speeds of fastest & slowest not too far apart & a smaller gap to the median than where we allow more freedom on the upper end.

Of course as with anything you can't force people with freedom of movement to do that (unless you put limiters in all cars) & they will make their choice to break the limit or stay within it as is suggested & enforced. Either way you make your personal choice & you live with that & any consequences it brings.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic