FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA risk analysis of speeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2006 at 20:25
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

When causes are listed from an investigation.

There will be 1 precipitating factor from a list of 15. (This is the key action or failure that led to the impact.)
You then have upto 4 contributory factors from a lits of 54. (The causes that led to the precipitating factor or act.)

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that in some circumstances the investigators will never know what caused the crash, other than what is apparent afterwards.  Skid marks, blown tyre etc.  Possibly why falling asleep at the wheel is not recorded as a factor that often because you can't tell it apart from other factors.

Ah.. sorry, yes.. that wouldn't effect the percentage that had an element of speeding, you're right.  BED!

Edited by scarface
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 02:18

Originally posted by scarface scarface wrote:

No one denys that it makes accidents messier.  But is it often the sole reason for an accident?  I would guess no. 

Collisions rarely have a single causation. There are 54 possible causation factors listed, but the most common one in fatalities is excessive speed. Time & time again, year on year.

Let's turn the issue on its head: how many fatalaties are there per mile of driving in excess of the speed limit? Because that would give me a very clear idea of how dangerous it is.

Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 03:42

You can't be absolutely correct spokey, but the figures I've seen range from 3 - 7% for accidents "above" the posted limit.

You can't rely on this data too much, without black boxes being fitted to cars

Best Wishes

Nigel

Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 13:27

This thread has been going on for some time now and perhaps its time for a time out!!!

You may want to consider this in the discussion;

The law is there as guidance and within it there are tolerances; and tolerances elsewhere.

There is a tolerance within the speedometer in the car - when it says 40 mph you are probably doing no more than 37 mph.

There is a tolerance within the speed camera; when the limit is 40 mph you wont normally get your picture taken unless you're over 46 mph (I think, that needs checked out and may be different in different areas).

Combine these 2 and it could well be that although your speedometer says 80 (ish) your probably only doing 75 (ish) and the camera wont get you unless your actual speed is over 77 (ish).

Not all cameras have film in them, another tolerance.

Guidance to warn you where the speed cameras are, or may be, is available through GPS systems, and even included in some road maps,

Guidance in local newspapers and on local radio saying where the mobile speed cameras are, or may be, is available on the web.

If you get caught, your caught fair* and square. 

Ah but Officer its just wan wee murder said Billy Connelly in his younger days ..  Youve got to draw a line somewhere and as written above drivers have a pretty wide fuzzy one before they race over it!

*I dont think its fair for the Police to run around in unmarked high performance cars.  Have them by all means but be open and honest about it.  That was the open and honest approach welcomed by drivers when speed cameras came out from behind the road signs!

* Hand held speed cameras are unfair.

After 40 years I think limits, particularly on motorways, should be increased to take into account the substantial improvements in car and road safety. 

PS If you do 80 mph over 100 miles (1 hour 15 minutes) youll only be 10 minutes ahead of the guy doing 70 (1 hour 25 minutes).  Given that you're unlikely to get 100 miles of unhindered driving in the UK you probably wouldnt have time to get out and lock your door before the 70 mph man came up the road behind you!

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2006 at 18:14
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

PS If you do 80 mph over 100 miles (1 hour 15 minutes) youll only be 10 minutes ahead of the guy doing 70 (1 hour 25 minutes). Given that you're unlikely to get 100 miles of unhindered driving in the UK you probably wouldnt have time to get out and lock your door before the 70 mph man came up the road behind you!

So what would the difference be for driving, say 8 hours with a couple of short breaks?

You may not get 100 miles of unhindered driving in the south, further north - especialy in Scotland you can go for a lot more.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 04:58
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

How about, scameras have absolutely nothing to do with road safety.

They are there to enforce the law...period.

Now what arguement do you have ?

That would be a lovely statement of the truth. Apart from the bit it's missing: "And collect more revenue from motorists."

The arbitrary nature of the law leaves me with little doubt that it is unfair and unjust.

It is very easy for your speed to vary by a couple of MPH. You might get a cramp, or sneeze, or whatever, and in that second, you could get snapped.

What do you say when a road has had NO accidents on it, but because of activism, the speed limit gets dropped by 10 MPH? Yesterday, I was doing 60 safely and responsibly on this road, today, on the same stretch of road in the same conditions, I'm a crazy law-breaker, exceeding the speed limit by 20%!!

The whole problem for me is that speeding is criminalised because the government is unwilling to expend a bit of effort and make us all better, safer, smoother drivers; and keep us like that. The philosophy is NOT "let's make better drivers", it's "we can't be @rsed to do anything about making it better, so let's just make it slower." The problem with this approach is that it further defers the issue and makes an actual correction even less likely. I really would not be surprised within my lifetime to find a ridiculous blanket speed limit, like 40MPH and there will STILL be idiots killing themselves because they still can't drive and there will still be pious, sanctimonious morons like Transport 2000 advocating even slower limits.

So, starting from the perspective that the philosophy is wrong, the law that "defends" the philosophy is also wrong, then the enforcement of that law is ALSO wrong.

Cameras enforce the law, I can't argue with that. I can argue with the value of the law, though. I can argue with the arbitrary nature of the law, as well. I can definitely argue with the reasoning behind the law as well.

Spot on Spokey

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 05:00

Unfortuantely we've got used to being able to drive being a god given right.  Some people maybe aren't up to it. 

Exactly the point I've been making in another thread.

All that is happening is we are dumbing down driving to the lowest common denomentator i.e people who probably shouldn't really be on the roads.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Unfortuantely we've got used to being able to drive being a god given right.  Some people maybe aren't up to it. 

Exactly the point I've been making in another thread.

All that is happening is we are dumbing down driving to the lowest common denomentator i.e people who probably shouldn't really be on the roads.

Why shouldn't they be on the roads, just because they don't want to travel as fast as others ?

Provided they are safe & can meet the minimum criteria as set out, then they have every right to be there.

The roads are not the preserve of only those who think they are the best, or want to drive fast. They are there for everyone. It's about everyone who wants to, being able to use them safely.

If they are unsafe, then I agree they shouldn't be there, but if they are safe they can. If they want to travel 10mph under the speed limit because they feel that is the correct speed for them so be it. The other drivers who consider themselves better will just have to deal with that in a safe manner.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 11:02

Why shouldn't they be on the roads, just because they don't want to travel as fast as others ?

I don't mind if they're on the road, but why are they always parked in the middle lane?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 11:24
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I don't mind if they're on the road, but why are they always parked in the middle lane?

That isn't the preserve of the "Maureens" of this world.

Mine & mine alone.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 13:17

Rhys "You may not get 100 miles of unhindered driving in the south, further north - especially in Scotland you can go for a lot more."

A rather romantic vision of what's up here  .  The faster roads are as clogged as many other parts of the country (M8, 9, 90, 74) and the quiet ones you wouldn't dare do 80 because they're too wee!  (B236521!?!) There are nice roads (eg A9) but more often than not you can't get past the fish and supermarket lorries!  The Scottish contingent are going for a tour up the very, very North West of Scotland in June.  Great roads, great fun.

spokey  "I don't mind if they're on the road, but why are they always parked in the middle lane?"

James Bonds Aston Martin (DB5) great idea, cannons in the indicators!

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 14:17

another roundabout thread I see.

Just so it doesn't get left out, every single camera system, and everything that doesn't involve an immediate stop, only ever hits the majority of (generally) law-abiding citizens.

Those who are: insured, correctly registered, etc.

As per ususal, Johnny chav -who picked up a dog for a 'couple of ton' and can't even write his own name, let alone fill in a V5 - gets off scot-free.

Fantastic system you advocate!   

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 17:09

You do have a habit of assuming that the majority of us think that everyone should drive in excess of the speed limit.  There is a time and a place, and I don't expect anyone else to exceed the limit. 

Provided they are safe & can meet the minimum criteria as set out, then they have every right to be there.

I quite agree.  Maybe the criteria is currently a bit on the soft side though. 

The roads are not the preserve of only those who think they are the best, or want to drive fast. They are there for everyone. It's about everyone who wants to, being able to use them safely.

I don't consider myself to be the best, far from it.  Again you are saying it's all down to speed.  It's not, even I don't drive on or over the speed limit at all times. 
It's about safety, I was talking about people who are not mentally or physically able to drive in a safe, considerate manner.  People just aren't prepared enough when they pass their test, and once you're given a license, that's it, your ability to drive is never questioned. 

scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 17:14
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

As per ususal, Johnny chav -who picked up a dog for a 'couple of ton' and can't even write his own name, let alone fill in a V5 - gets off scot-free.

Fantastic system you advocate!   

Exactly my problem with cameras etc.  It's only as good as the data on that car. 
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 17:19

You do have a habit of assuming that the majority of us think that everyone should drive in excess of the speed limit.  There is a time and a place, and I don't expect anyone else to exceed the limit. 

I think you arae doing the assuming. Peter & I are talking about people travelling slower than the limit, stopping people who wish to, travelling upto that limit. No mention of stopping people exceeding it.

I quite agree.  Maybe the criteria is currently a bit on the soft side though. 

Already the test is one of the most comprehensive compared to other countries & 57.2% fail it. It's not a walk in the park as many who don't pass first time will probably attest to.

I don't consider myself to be the best, far from it.  Again you are saying it's all down to speed.  It's not, even I don't drive on or over the speed limit at all times. 
It's about safety, I was talking about people who are not mentally or physically able to drive in a safe, considerate manner.  People just aren't prepared enough when they pass their test, and once you're given a license, that's it, your ability to drive is never questioned. 

I'm not talking about speeding.
I'm defending people's right to drive at speeds below the limit, because they have judged that to be a speed they can drive at safely at that time. True your ability isn't formally tested compulsorily, but you can voluntarily put yourself up for pass plus, IAM, RoADA & the like. You ability is also questioned whenevr it is observed by a Police officer & found to be sub standard. They can then do something about that & where sever enough you can get points towards losing your licence..
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 17:31

livvy wrote:

this is the problem these people are not shown the rules of the motorway how to drive what the signs are what to do if you break down, but because they demonstrated they can drive carefully at 28mph around town,we let them on the motorways because they have every right to be there.

then when theres and rta we can all say its speed its careless but what it is is negligence on behalf of the powers to be allowing this in the first place

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 17:43
I didn't pass first time myself.  But although the test is not EASY, does it provide all the skills needed?  I feel that more emphasis should be put on attitude, confidence and judgement, not just the ability to control a car.  

What I was saying was that you assumed that I was attacking peoples rights to drive below the speed limit.  Although it may be irritating, it is not a reason to remove them from the road and I have never said that it is.  (Except when consistently taken to the extreme e.g. flat cap man. )

The police can question your ability, but as you say, there aren't enough patrols observing driving standards. 

Edited by scarface
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 18:12

Its a basic test.

Like everything else, it needs practise.

Lots & lots of very good training out there for peanuts.

How about ( this is never going to happen, but here goes), any current licenced drivers will have their entitlement to drive removed on 31/12/06, unless they can produce a recognised advanced driving certificate.

That tough enough for you ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 18:28
Works for me!
Ciao,
Spokey

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2006 at 18:35

Its never going to happen though spokey, so its just on with the push to get people to do it volunterily.

May I organise you an assessment drive ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic