Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW Car Club Membership
    Posted: 22-March-2006 at 08:45

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

IMO many dealers can't (here) see past the next sale and the fact that many of the clubs members are driving cars older than 5 years means that they won't be buying a new E90 or E60 or whatever.

I agree totally, the general attitude of dealers is if your car is not under the original warranty they have very little interest but they should remember that without those of us to buy the older BMW's there would be no new sales.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Sponsored Links

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

Any dealer who aligns themselves with the club can only increase their business.

That's a major part of what we're going to try and get across...
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:12
But we still have to buy parts, and I'd rather buy genuine BMW parts from a BMW dealer than from GSF or ECP. However the availability of parts online, plus the cheaper price often means I buy online, also to avoid getting sneered at when I go to a dealer asking for e28 parts (it has happened). Any dealer who aligns themselves with the club can only increase their business.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:00
IMO many dealers can't (here) see past the next sale and the fact that many of the clubs members are driving cars older than 5 years means that they won't be buying a new E90 or E60 or whatever.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 06:50
Originally posted by bodger122 bodger122 wrote:

Good point, i also think the local dealers should get involved more. BMW customers are notoriously brand loyal. surely any dealer would love to attract a whole host of repeat customers to his site.

Defo. It's hard getting to talk to the right people tho. If you look thro the club mag there are some dealers who are hugely supportive and others who barely know the club exist. We've started a good relationship with one dealer up here, but the original franchise holder is selling up so we don't know what's happening there going forward. Also trying to sort a dealer visit to another to see if we can't start building a relationship...

Main Club Office type interface with the Dealers seems limited too as they're not 'BMW' as such. AFAIK Jeff only gets to go to one dealer principal meeting a year... but mibbes that's changed / changing - I'm only just getting back into the club scene at the mo.
bodger122 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Ask me about painless hair removal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 06:39
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

@ bodger122 & Fushion Julz

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, the Scottish region was a bit quiet too. A number of folk stepped up and got involved and now it's thriving.

Is this something you'd consider - i.e. getting things going in your area? Scotland started out by reinstating a regular pub meet and built up from there.

I originally felt that 'the club' should be doing more... but 'the club' is just folk like us really. I reckon I actually get more out of membership by getting stuck in now wherever I can.

Good point, i also think the local dealers should get involved more. BMW customers are notoriously brand loyal. surely any dealer would love to attract a whole host of repeat customers to his site.

E46 323i SE Saloon in Titanium Silver. Digital Aircon+ 6CD Stacker + M sport Accesories
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 05:08
That also applies to the irish Region!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 04:19
@ bodger122 & Fushion Julz

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, the Scottish region was a bit quiet too. A number of folk stepped up and got involved and now it's thriving.

Is this something you'd consider - i.e. getting things going in your area? Scotland started out by reinstating a regular pub meet and built up from there.

I originally felt that 'the club' should be doing more... but 'the club' is just folk like us really. I reckon I actually get more out of membership by getting stuck in now wherever I can.
bodger122 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Ask me about painless hair removal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 04:05
Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

Of the benefits offered/provided I find the area section for my area very poor (Wessex)...Not least as the area really isn't my area...I live in Reading and the Lodon/SE area is a better match for me. There also seem to be few (if any) Wessex meets.

Agreed, im down in southampton, and there is nothing going on in my area, the nearest is is swindon or kent (both miles away).

E46 323i SE Saloon in Titanium Silver. Digital Aircon+ 6CD Stacker + M sport Accesories
Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 11:50
Sorry if this is a late reply, but I've only just popped into this forum, usually spending my time on the M Power section...

I was a member for several years in the '90s, when it was a requirement to race in the BMWCC championship (as it was)...Then I let my membership lapse, despite owning several successive BMWs.

I re-joined last year partly because of this forum, partly because I now own 2 E30s and partly because I wanted to go to Gaydon....

Of the benefits offered/provided I find the area section for my area very poor (Wessex)...Not least as the area really isn't my area...I live in Reading and the Lodon/SE area is a better match for me. There also seem to be few (if any) Wessex meets.
The mags are good value...although I would love to see more articles on older models...

Bit disappointed in the registers (now a memeber of the E30 and the M Power registers) as I was previously a 02 register member and they produced a very useful and informative bi-monthly mag/leaflet. The E30/M Power registers seem to do little other than organise a stand at Gaydon...There doesn't even seem to be a published register of the cars!

The big disappointment, though, for me, was/is the dealer discount. My local dealer (Cooper, Reading) don't offer it at all. So I voted with my feet (and wallet) and now frequent Stratstone, Taplow, where they do offer a discount...Only it has never (yet) been as much as 10%.

The big hit was Gaydon...I thought it was a well organised and beneficial day and my g/f actually (for the first time for a motor-related outing) enjoyed herself!

I'm gonna continue being a memeber (for now)...All in all the membership fee is good value at the current level.

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 10:17
Well there's a wee tidy of the thread to get us back on topic.

I didn't renew a while back as I'd sold the car - seemed a bit silly to be a member sans BMW.

I renewed because :

1) The region I'm in is chock full of top people and there are plenty of wee outings.
2) I can get a few pennies off at some dealers and it more than covers the member fee. (as well as all the other discount opportunities)
3) The mag has some good content (and is now monthly)
4) Being a member can help when dealing with parts of the larger BMW machine - I've had great help from BMW CS and Mobile Tradition while working up the GT Register content.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:54

see better know it has all come out in the wash, people are to hastie to act when people have not made themselves clear, and got the right points across instead of asking for a explanation of why, and also i think we can learn as i certainly have from this post, to post properly to get the right message across, as i admit that some of my post's have been taken the wrong way which i appologise for, perhaps i didnt make them clear enough for some.

again i think this forum is spot on the way it is, ill admit there are a few that are t**s, maybe you think im one ? but i will rise above this in the future.

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:29

Originally posted by m3tiko m3tiko wrote:

Cheers KB,

I wanted to clarify a few points I made in my thread, first of all in no way was I suggesting that being a member wsn't a good thing merely it didn't offer me the full benefits associated i.e part and indy discounts...

The mag is great and pretty informative, as well as the lovely meets that are organised by our members. IMO a great reason to join is because of the people. If you read the thread you'd see that I'm happy to give the annual membership for the benefits I do see...just maybe not to the extent others get but no complaints on my part.

Rested.

Better put

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 07:41
Cheers KB,

I wanted to clarify a few points I made in my thread, first of all in no way was I suggesting that being a member wsn't a good thing merely it didn't offer me the full benefits associated i.e part and indy discounts...

The mag is great and pretty informative, as well as the lovely meets that are organised by our members. IMO a great reason to join is because of the people. If you read the thread you'd see that I'm happy to give the annual membership for the benefits I do see...just maybe not to the extent others get but no complaints on my part.

Rested.

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 05:52
FOr the ons that haven't renewed, what do you want from a club/ foum ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 14:43
What was the original purpose of the question Pete? I'm interested to know.

I'll also make sure to renew my membership in the next couple of weeks.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 12:06

No failed it again on Friday. I have a few concerns about her driving instructor, in that I think he's rubbish. If she fails next time I'm going to suggest she gets a new one.

Other than that I'm ok!

I've been having fun with My Acord Type-R recently which has kept me away from my computer a bit, at least it the weekend anyway. My internet connection has not been very good recently either.

I hit a brick on Saturday which caused my tyre to go down, supprise supprise. Thankfully that was the only damage done. Anyway pulled over to change the wheel in a layby. However when I went to remove the locking wheel nut it broke. So rather than leave the car where it was I drove home on a flat tyre. Fortunatly it happened about 2 miles from home so I just kept it down to 20mph and got home without damaging the alloy. next day I got some more locking nuts from Halfords only to find they are too big so get tit the way of the wheel centre cap. On top of this I couldn't get the knackered nut off no matter what I did so I ended up calling the AA out who did the job. Managed to get some locking nuts today off ebay that will fit ok (didn't want to get standard Honda ones again as they're rubbish) and I'm getting 4 new tyres on Saturday, since I have Falken and a Champiro on the back and now just one Vredenstien on the front. Rather than get another Vredenstein I thought I just get 4 Toyo T1Rs. Should improve the handling no end.

So yes despite lots of fun I'm good! How about you?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 11:45

Peter wrote :- I think they responded in they way they did because a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into things like the club magazine,

he didnt say anything about this, and i think the people who give up there time for other people, ought to be commended 

organising events and negotiating discounts. So it's not really fair to say you get no benefits from being a club member. 

Thats if you get them i have read on here that someone went to a dealership and told them he was a club member, and the responce he got was yeah so what and had to pay full whack for his parts, have you thought this might have happend to M3tiko ?

Perhaps it would be truer to say that the benefits on offer for being a member don't appeal to you.

To true maybe he should have said that, but he didnt he said what he felt, and got jumped on basically for saying what he felt, that to me is not having your own opinion, and seems to be happening a lot on here hence "if it isnt what they want you to hear they shoot you down"     Rant over!!

How are you anyway peter, have not spoke to you for a while where have you been hiding, has the misses pass her test yet ? 

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 11:25

Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

See what i mean dazz, if it isnt what they want to hear they shoot you down, i think M3tiko is entitled to express his opinion if that's what he feels, this is maybe the attitude why people are leaving the club, im not part of the club and i dont want to be as there is no benefits for me in it... wait for it ten paces and draw your guns

I think they responded in they way they did because a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into things like the club magazine, organising events and negotiating discounts. So it's not really fair to say you get no benefits from being a club member. Perhaps it would be truer to say that the benefits on offer for being a member don't appeal to you. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2006 at 11:17
kb u are a fair man but i see it different
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic