Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 05:52

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

You seem utterly incapable of taking into account the extreme ease with which most of us non-livvy like non-superhumans manage to stray those few little mph past the limit, and so pass the camera doing 68 in a 60 (easy to do in a nice smooth 323i, eh shorty?!). We become criminals, and because of this unintentional misdemeanour our licence and career are taken from us.

I appreciate that it can easy, especially in a BMW to accidentally sray over the speed limit, but playing devils advocate for a second, are you really saying that you could be driving at 68mph in a 60 and not realise? Also if your doing 68 what do you think the speedo is reading? Well over 70 I would have thought.

My problem with cameras isn't to do with not being able to keep my speed down without constantly staring a the speedo, I simply think the limits are set too low on certain roads. After all if you find it hard to keep your speed down to 70, you are going to have exactly the same problem at 80 or 90 etc

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 03:58

Horsetan wrote (wha? couldnt find that in the oxford dictonary) NEWSFLASH guess what i couldnt find WHA  in the oxford dictonary either !!!!!!!!!!!!

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2006 at 01:04
Originally posted by shorty shorty wrote:

Livvy try an experiment i have try ed on several occasions . Next time you are on the motorway drive at 70 mph . just see how many cars, vans , lorry's ( yes 16 wheeler lorry's !!! )  go whizzing past you . Where are the "enforcers" then ?

As for taking responsibility for my livelihood i HAVE to drive every day for my job & if i loose my license that is me out of a job  & i know that so do you think i or any other person go out intentionally to get points on there license ? I would be more of a danger if i didn't keep up with the flow of traffic would i not ? How many people do you know that drive at 30mph in a 30 mph zone unless as Doave has pointed out they either see a police man with a radar gun or know there is a fixed camera on that road ?

I don't need to do an experiment because I do it all the time, I don't want to get points or lose my licence.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 20:58

Oh i see the spelling and grammer mare HORSETAN has been out for a trot, well pardon me for not eating the oxford b****** dictonary before i put a post on this forum now theres a word you will find in the oxford dictonary, i guess as you pull other people up about their spellings and grammer i take it you have never made a spelling mistake before and always got your grammer correct ?

Edited by dirtybeemer
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 20:12
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

Shorty

You didn't get the points because you were a danger to anyone. You got the points because you went past a line that has been drawn in the sand, a line that is there as a preventative measure (to prevent the possible danger being caused to anyone.)

If you value your licence, your livelyhood, then why not take responsibility for it & protect it ?
Nobody can "mess with your life" then.
[/QUOTE]

DANGER !!!! the only danger to anyone was to me as i said previously there was no one else there!!! I know what you will say that you have seen some horrors e.c.t & i can see that point of view also. But 78 mph on a motorway ???? please !!!!!!!

Livvy try an experiment i have try ed on several occasions . Next time you are on the motorway drive at 70 mph . just see how many cars, vans , lorry's ( yes 16 wheeler lorry's !!! )  go whizzing past you . Where are the "enforcers" then ?

As for taking responsibility for my livelihood i HAVE to drive every day for my job & if i loose my license that is me out of a job  & i know that so do you think i or any other person go out intentionally to get points on there license ? I would be more of a danger if i didn't keep up with the flow of traffic would i not ? How many people do you know that drive at 30mph in a 30 mph zone unless as Doave has pointed out they either see a police man with a radar gun or know there is a fixed camera on that road ?

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:47

No I agree entirely with what you say there, the actions of others shouldn't be a problem provided I keep both my own speed and distance in check, which i do. However, all too often people find themselves affected by other incompetent drivers.

The SPECS cameras make me paranoid, even though I rarely drive even closeto the speed limit.

I suppose the point I am making in all these posts (becuase you and I seem to go round in ever maddening circles!) is that the standards of driving in this country cannot be improved by a reduction in speed alone, but in fact that should be an achievable aim following some sort of driver training, which would bring about a greater awareness of the dangers of speeding and the risks of excessive vehicle speed. Hopefully.

I have never said that speed is the sole issue that should be attacked. All I've said is that it shouldn't be ignored.
Yes education & training have greater long term benefits, but in the meantime people should still be adhering to limits & there are positive benefits to making sure that people do.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:44
No I agree entirely with what you say there, the actions of others shouldn't be a problem provided I keep both my own speed and distance in check, which i do. However, all too often people find themselves affected by other incompetent drivers.

The SPECS cameras make me paranoid, even though I rarely drive even closeto the speed limit.

I suppose the point I am making in all these posts (becuase you and I seem to go round in ever maddening circles!) is that the standards of driving in this country cannot be improved by a reduction in speed alone, but in fact that should be an achievable aim following some sort of driver training, which would bring about a greater awareness of the dangers of speeding and the risks of excessive vehicle speed. Hopefully.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:36

Fall some distance behind a line of cars on a busy A road, and observe as they approach a speed camera (I've done this). Watch how the first car insinctively brakes despite being under the limit, and then also watch how that braking manouvere transfers down the entire line, despite all being appropriately spaced and travelling at the correct speed. I have seen this time and time again, and I know you will say 'it's their choice....they choose to brake' etc etc - it has become instinctive! People see a speed camera and they brake - natural reaction my friend. Surely even you cannot say this is promoting safe driving?

Hide the cameras then.

Seriosuly though, that's why I favour SPECS cameras if we are going to have them.
Because there is no point braking for them & they measure you speed over a greater distance (not punishing someone who is only slightly over for a short space of time). Because of that they will also be effective over a greater distance as well.

People braking for a camera shouldn't be a problem for you though. If they are speeding & you are not, they will be going away from you before they brake giving you lots of time. If you both aren't speeding provided you've left adequate distance between you & them then their braking shouldn't be a concern. To be honest I look ahead of the car infront, spot the camera & expect them to brake, so it's no surprise or problem to me if they do.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 19:12
Fall some distance behind a line of cars on a busy A road, and observe as they approach a speed camera (I've done this). Watch how the first car insinctively brakes despite being under the limit, and then also watch how that braking manouvere transfers down the entire line, despite all being appropriately spaced and travelling at the correct speed. I have seen this time and time again, and I know you will say 'it's their choice....they choose to brake' etc etc - it has become instinctive! People see a speed camera and they brake - natural reaction my friend. Surely even you cannot say this is promoting safe driving?
www.doive.co.uk
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 18:41

None of us choose to break the limit in this way - so do we all drive around wearing our speedometers like a pair of glasses, just in case we speed even a slight little bit? Must follow every law of the land to the lastest finest detail, eh livvy? No matter what the consequences to self.

Doive

68 isn't a little past the limit in a 60.

We either choose to, or we are not paying enough attention. We all know the consequences if we do that. It's no good bleating about it & trying to blame others when we are the ones who have all of the control over it.

You don't need to constantly stare at the speedo to avoid getting prosecuted for speeding, it will be counter productive. But you do need to concentrate, show restraint & an awareness of your speed at all times. These are not super human skills, they are ones you were taught when you learned to drive & displayed for your driving test.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 18:30

You know the law & you have control of your vehicles speed. There have been speed limits on our roads if not for most of the time you have been driving, then all the time you have. You can't balme others for your inability to keep to the limit.

You seem utterly incapable of taking into account the extreme ease with which most of us non-livvy like non-superhumans manage to stray those few little mph past the limit, and so pass the camera doing 68 in a 60 (easy to do in a nice smooth 323i, eh shorty?!). We become criminals, and because of this unintentional misdemeanour our licence and career are taken from us.

If you value your licence, your livelyhood, then why not take responsibility for it & protect it ?

None of us choose to break the limit in this way - so do we all drive around wearing our speedometers like a pair of glasses, just in case we speed even a slight little bit? Must follow every law of the land to the lastest finest detail, eh livvy? No matter what the consequences to self.
www.doive.co.uk
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 18:19

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

....I'm glad I live in France, with a French licence.

Under the new road safety bill a French licence won't stop you getting points here or disqualified by totting here, should you commit endorseable offences.

There will be no escaping the punitive measures of the state.

If these punitive measures are enforced against foreign motorists with the same vigour as parking fines / congestion charge penalties, i.e. none at all, then I rather think foreign motorists will have little to worry about....

Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

....withstrain...

Wha'? Couldn't find this in the Oxford English Dictionary.......

Quote ...Did anyone get Mr Englander's solicitors phone no by the way ?

It wasn't Nick Freeman.

Edited by Horsetan

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 18:19

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

The public ignore them, insurance companies ignore them (in my experience), and now magistrates ignore them lol

http://www.itvregions.com/Granada/News/Driver+keeps+licence+ despite+31+penalty+points.htm 

Wish the insurance people had ignored mine Nigel , rise of £350 for my points !!!!!  

Shorty, you're obviously with the wrong company. Told both my Insurers about my 3 speeding points - both said made no problem (in fact one commented that he'd very surprised if some-one Didn't have speeding points these days - ahem!) and that it made no difference to either of my policys.  

Ah ! but maybe i wasn't too clear ...... i have 9 points !!!!!!!!!

Been turned down for 3 jobs due to this !!!! Wish the camera partnerships would stop messing up folks lives . Its not like i am an armed robber ( Livvy :- i know what you will say mate that it is a CRIME all the same  !!! ) All 9 were from the video vans on a clear motorway in dry conditions with no one else around ???? the only danger to anyone was to ME ????? 

Shorty

You didn't get the points because you were a danger to anyone. You got the points because you went past a line that has been drawn in the sand, a line that is there as a preventative measure (to prevent the possible danger being caused to anyone.)

You know the law & you have control of your vehicles speed. There have been speed limits on our roads if not for most of the time you have been driving, then all the time you have. You can't balme others for your inability to keep to the limit.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

The public ignore them, insurance companies ignore them (in my experience), and now magistrates ignore them lol

http://www.itvregions.com/Granada/News/Driver+keeps+licence+ despite+31+penalty+points.htm 

Wish the insurance people had ignored mine Nigel , rise of £350 for my points !!!!!  

Shorty, you're obviously with the wrong company. Told both my Insurers about my 3 speeding points - both said made no problem (in fact one commented that he'd very surprised if some-one Didn't have speeding points these days - ahem!) and that it made no difference to either of my policys.  

Ah ! but maybe i wasn't too clear ...... i have 9 points !!!!!!!!!

Been turned down for 3 jobs due to this !!!! Wish the camera partnerships would stop messing up folks lives . Its not like i am an armed robber ( Livvy :- i know what you will say mate that it is a CRIME all the same  !!! ) All 9 were from the video vans on a clear motorway in dry conditions with no one else around ???? the only danger to anyone was to ME ????? 

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 08:42

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2006 at 08:32

A police officer told me reasonable force was if someone comes towards you and you feel your life was in danger then you can hit them as many times as necessary to make your escape, aslong as you dont give them a good kicking if they go down (such spoilsports).

If you catch someone on your property then you are supposed to withstrain them thats why anyone caught on my property came at me in a threatening manner (knuckle duster works well).

Did anyone get Mr Englander's solicitors phone no by the way ?

Edited by dirtybeemer
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 10:37
Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

So long as it's kept within bounds as recommended by you it should be fine!

The guidelines I recommend are the law, so yes.

Won't comment on the Iraq thing as I'm having a relatively good day and don't want to get worked up!

Mine & mine alone.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 10:27

So long as it's kept within bounds as recommended by you it should be fine!

Won't comment on the Iraq thing as I'm having a relatively good day and don't want to get worked up!

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 09:26

How far you can go depends on the circumstances. You can only use the amount of force that is reasonable & necessary to detain someone, any excess is an abuse of force & is a criminal act.

In defence of yourself/others you can use reasonable & necessary force to avert that threat. The level of force used has to be proportional to the actual/perceived threat level.

As I say knowledge & accurate judgement of what is acceptable in each individual circumstances is what is necessary.

Ahh, the old "Knowledge is Power" chestnut... I like! So what we need to do is arm ourselves with the appropriate understanding of the law and use it to beat the theiving scumbags to within an inch of the law!!

You never know who is watching, just ask some soldiers in Iraq

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2006 at 09:23

How far you can go depends on the circumstances. You can only use the amount of force that is reasonable & necessary to detain someone, any excess is an abuse of force & is a criminal act.

In defence of yourself/others you can use reasonable & necessary force to avert that threat. The level of force used has to be proportional to the actual/perceived threat level.

As I say knowledge & accurate judgement of what is acceptable in each individual circumstances is what is necessary.

Ahh, the old "Knowledge is Power" chestnut... I like! So what we need to do is arm ourselves with the appropriate understanding of the law and use it to beat the theiving scumbags to within an inch of the law!!

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic