Forum LockedBad main stealer - WATCH OUT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

I am a bit sorry to learn that because the site is sponsored by BMW GB it is felt that the members of the forum cannot truthfully criticise shoddy workmanship by BMW, where it exists, or in fact other suppliers of services. I would be surprised if BMW would like to be seen in such a way. It is widely recognised that it is those companies who listen and learn from mistakes that keep customers happy and profits up. BMW couldn’t produce such fantastic cars. Absolutely agree that anyone criticised anywhere, including here, should have the right to reply.

Perhaps complaints should be somehow be addressed to a group (not necessarily moderators because I can appreciate how busy you guys are!) who would then, not vetting the complaint, copy it to the dealership and BMW GB for a response within say 3 weeks. After that time, unless resolved to each parties satisfaction, both complaint and response(s) would be posted.

[Register of interest(?)

Here, here! I pretty much agree with everyones opinions on here so far. Am I to gather from general views that this club is run to 'enhance' the 'correct' views that we are supposed to hear or to let the 'public' air their 'honest' views and opinions. I might have to ponder that one before renewing my membership.

I'm all for a right to reply and would welcome any channel for this to take place. I agree that int's unfair to accuse and not be given a fair trial, but as I'm not allowed to name, the dealer responsible cannot reply? where do we go from here. Thanks for the number for BMW GB. It will go there for further investigation for sure. In the mean time, my friend is trying to sell his 'Friday afternoon car' but everytime he goes to advertise, something goes wrong with it! Ever heard of a haunted car??

Regards

Mike

P.S. I'll try and give you guys a progress report when action is taken.

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:05

Cheers Mike

Good luck, I'm on your side...honest.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:29

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Jack

You make very valid points.

I welcome your suggestion that perhaps the club should be involved, I don't fancy your chances, but the agm is coming up, fancy giving it a go ?

Thank you, dirtybeemer and 540 V8.

Saw the bit for the AGM but couldn’t make the date and it’s a bit far away anyway.

As for individuals, like me, contacting BMW UK at Bracknell. In my opinion BMW UK/AG should/would probably appreciate a single point of contact through this club rather than many individual complaints to deal with - or unhappy customers discussing poor workmanship on forums where they have no right of reply. I would also hope a complaint made through this club, with a forum membership of almost 8,000 and sponsorship, would carry more clout .

From something I read some time ago it was the clout of a large group in the States who pressured BMW USA to make good the common pixel problem in the E38. Individuals over here are getting no where.

Good night!

I would say a bad customer is one who complains unreasonably.

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:41
Just for the record - the club receives some kind of 'sponsorship' from BMW GB. The forum does not.
Any revenue generated by the forum is purely through the adverts.

Anyhow, in terms of organising a lobby via the club - why not ask the club office about it?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:52

jack735 wrote :-  I would say a bad customer is one who complains unreasonably.

Hi Jack this isnt a dig or anything just merely another point of view, as you know that these cars when new cost more then what some people earn in a year, and if you buy one and are plagued by endless faults then i dont think any complaint or any amout of complaining makes you a bad customer in the slightest, if i spent that sort of money on a car then i would expect it to be perfect, not a lemon.

Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 02:29

Right with you dirtybeemer. 

When I spend a good pound I expect to get what they are selling as described.  So if I was to spend 20,000 perfect pounds on a brand new perfect car thats exactly what I would expect.  20,000 perfect pounds >>> one perfect car, as described!

beast535 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 02:44

Isn't a club supposed to work for its members, not its sponsors? Surely BMW UK doesn't own all the dealers- they are all independently owned. If there is poor service the dealer should be named here. Otherwise whats the point in any business offering good service if they do not get increased custom from this? The club needs to grow a backbone and stand up for itself.

I know the club may need the sponsorship but insisting that threads like this be edited has cost them my membership fee for next year.

Dave.

E30 325i sport 1991
E34 530i auto 1989
E39 535i 18"s 1997

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 04:11
Originally posted by dirtybeemer dirtybeemer wrote:

Can you explain a bad customer nigel ?

LOL. I can have a go at that one mate

A bad customer is one who has unrealistic expectations of what is possible. Then when these unrealistic expectations are not met thet kick up a fuss. My wife has to deal with the genreal public, customers of the newspaper she works for. You would be amazed just how unreasonable some people can be. I'm sure the same goes for some customers of main dealers.

As far as I can see, the big problem with allowing people to put complaints about dealers on the site is down to the following:-

How do any of us know that the complaint is valid? that is it not just made up because of a grudge, an ex employee etc? or that the customer just had totaly unrealistic expectations. Sure you can give them the chance to respond, but unless you have total transparency, i.e the name and address of the complainant published, then it is not going to work. Otherwise it makes it too easy for people to anonymously slag off dealers with no comeback. If anything untrue is wrttten the website can be sued for libel. By making complainants give their details it will put people off making unjust statements.

Just my 2p worth

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 06:04

*** UPDATE ***

The dealer principal has recieved a letter of complaint for the ongoing saga. He is out of the office at the moment but will contact my friend in due course. BMW GB has also recieved a copy of the letter. Lets hope BMW can polish their tarnished reputation with this guy and spring into action. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your comments, it's always good to know that you in a majority when it comes down to issues suchas this one. It's made interesting reading!

Cheers chaps

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 06:58
Just seen this thread and I'm astonished...

1. Who says that the dealer and/or BMW GB haven't the right to reply? This is a public forum and it is for them also, as well as us mere mortals.

2. A bad customer? Lol...BMW may do well to remember that if they don't want a customer (or any customer) then Audi or Mercedes will, I'm sure, be grateful for the extra business!

3. So the club is not independant, but is a subsidiary of BMW GB? Didn't realise, but I'll bear that in mind when renewing my membership!! (if I do).

4. If the club is a subsidiary of BMW and the dealers can exert pressure on their supplier to cover up poor customer service, then why can't BMW GB exert pressure on the dealers to honour the discount for club members? As it is, my local dealer (who are, apparantly, owned by BMW GB) refuse to countenance any discount and actually laughed at me when I asked...Nice....Needless to say, they no longer get my business.

@540v8...I do hope your friend gets satisfaction from the dealer who, despite not being named here, should feel humiliated by the standard of aftercare offered.
Although I must say that, if you work for the commercial Merc dealer I think you do, then they aren't all that much better...refusing to supply a workshop manual for my 609D....and being condescending with it!

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 06:59

540 V8 - hope it gets worked out

Peter - spot on about the bad customer.

Someone mentioned that a club should work for it's members, not it's sponsors.  That is spot on.

If the club is sponsored by BMW, and the forum is the main outlet for members views, then surely someone in BMW keeps an eye out for threads like this so that they can respond.  Or, seeing as the majority of us drive cars over 4 years old which the dealers wouldn't sell from their forecourts, are we not important enough to them, despite a lot of people here using them for parts and servicing?

I'm lucky - I find that my local dealer is very good, and I've been treated very well on my rare visits to them.  But I have had bad service from garages in the past (as I did when I bought my e39), and it is very frustrating.  The guy I was dealing with there used the line that the car I was buying was €60,000 when new, but I was getting it for €12,000 (it was a 7 year old car with 69k at that stage!), so I shouldn't complain!!!

m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 09:50

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 10:13
Just to answer a few points:-
the forum is public but that does not mean that the dealer is aware that the allegation is now public - should every dealer scour the internet daily just in case there is something about them? The dealer in question or any dealer is free to express their side of the story but until we can be sure that they can place their side of the story in the public domain, it will always be a one sided argument in favour of the customer.

As for BMW keeping an eye out on the forum - its hard enough for the moderators to watch the flow of each thread. Surely you don't expect BMW GB to watch every thread also? I have no idea of the frequency of their visits to the site, nor do I know of any member who is a representative of BMW.
1997 E39 523i
Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 10:53

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Just to answer a few points:-
the forum is public but that does not mean that the dealer is aware that the allegation is now public - should every dealer scour the internet daily just in case there is something about them? The dealer in question or any dealer is free to express their side of the story but until we can be sure that they can place their side of the story in the public domain, it will always be a one sided argument in favour of the customer.

As for BMW keeping an eye out on the forum - its hard enough for the moderators to watch the flow of each thread. Surely you don't expect BMW GB to watch every thread also? I have no idea of the frequency of their visits to the site, nor do I know of any member who is a representative of BMW.

Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

Perhaps complaints should be somehow be addressed to a group (not necessarily moderators because I can appreciate how busy you guys are!) who would then, not vetting the complaint, copy it to the dealership and BMW GB for a response within say 3 weeks. After that time, unless resolved to each parties satisfaction, both complaint and response(s) would be posted.

Thats why I thought it would be a reasonable idea to bring 'any' complaints to their attention and give them time to respond.

If there are any dealers looking in, or anyone from BMW UK/AG, or anyone who vaguely represents anything to do with BMW, Dr. H. Panke?, please make themself known. 

We wont bite

OK, maybe just a nibble

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 10:56

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

... the forum is public ...

Quote "The views expressed here are those of individuals and are not necessarily the views of the BMW Car Club, BMW (GB) Ltd. or BMW (AG)." Unquote

Enough said?

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 11:45

Maybe there should be a "Problems with Dealers Forum", with any new threads being notified by email to a club official or someone in BMWs' marketing/service departments.  That way they're getting any nmegative feedback and can take appropriate action.

Likewise, you could do the same thing with a positive slant to it - "Dealers Who Appreciate Our Custom Forum".

Or is that just a tinpot idea?

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 11:50
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

Maybe there should be a "Problems with Dealers Forum", with any new threads being notified by email to a club official or someone in BMWs' marketing/service departments.  That way they're getting any negative feedback and can take appropriate action.
..... but probably wouldn't

Likewise, you could do the same thing with a positive slant to it - "Dealers Who Appreciate Our Custom Forum".
already exists, with 'adopt your dealer' but with some odd adoptees

Or is that just a tinpot idea?

Yes!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2006 at 12:34
BM dealers are a franchise and have an ops manual that ensures the Dealer management know the standard BMW GB, and through them, BMW AG require.

As always the weakest link in the chain determines it's strength and if one or more of the staff are ineffective, then no amount of chrome and glass dealerships will be any good. However, if all this sad tale is documented and presented to BMW GB, I would expect the s**t to hit the fan.

Dealers bonus's are measured on Customer satisfaction (let alone future car sales) so I believe BMW GB and the Dealer Principal would welcome a valid complaint as statistically, a dis-satisfied customer tells 16 people, which is pretty negative marketing.
bodger122 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Ask me about painless hair removal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 02:43
Just a thought, but whst if the boot was on the other foot...say i had experienced some fantastic service from my BMW dealer and wanted to shout it from the hills cos im so chuffed. or i knew a dealer with a fantistic deal on a new model at the moment.

Would i not be allowed to mention the said dealers name on this BMW message board? surely my virtual friends would like a slice of the action to?

Feedback, be it positive or negative is not a bad thing - as long as its constructive and factual the BMW dealer network has nothing to worry about.

But i spose at the end of the day, this is the official BMWCCGB - and if you want freedom of speach you might be better off joining a non official forum that isnt scared to let its members have their say on main dealer experiences.

sorry this kinda thing makes my blood boil

Edited by bodger122

E46 323i SE Saloon in Titanium Silver. Digital Aircon+ 6CD Stacker + M sport Accesories
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 03:01
Originally posted by bodger122 bodger122 wrote:

Feedback, be it positive or negative is not a bad thing - as long as its constructive and factual the BMW dealer network has nothing to worry about.

But we have no way of verifying whether or not the allegations are based on fact! We have one persons word.
You wouldn't be happy to find out that the dealer came on here and said that you were passing dodgy cheques especially if you were unable to participate in the discussion until it was too late.

Originally posted by bodger122 bodger122 wrote:

But i spose at the end of the day, this is the official BMWCCGB - and if you want freedom of speach you might be better off joining a non official forum that isnt scared to let its members have their say on main dealer experiences.

I am just protecting the forum from a potential slander accusation - thats all!

Edited by kbannon
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic