Forum LockedBad main stealer - WATCH OUT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad main stealer - WATCH OUT
    Posted: 27-March-2006 at 10:26

A friend of mine bought a 3 year old mini cooper from ****** ***** of ***** last September. The car came with a year extended warranty and had it's pre-sales check over (allegedly)  Drove the car home, really happy with it.

After a couple of days he noticed a small puddle of oil on his driveway where the car was parked so booked it in to have it looked at. The dealer tightened two bolts which aparrently cured the problem. It was found still to be leaking and they said the gearbox oil seal had gone and they'd need to order one in. When asked why it wasn't picked up on the inspection they said the inspection had been done thoroughly but they will re-do it. The car went back in to have the gearbox rectified. Problem sorted. (Not a seal but infact needed a new gearbox!)

The next problem reared it's head a few weeks later when the n/s headlamp adjuster failed. The interior lamp button had fallen out. Rear silencer blowing. n/s electric window sticking. The car was booked in and had all problems sorted without a hitch.

He made a complaint about the chrome flaking off the centre of the steering wheel and he was told it must have been his rings on his finger (he doesn't wear any!) and wasn't covered.

In February they agreed to rectify the chrome peeling off the steering wheel centre as it would appear to be a common problem. The airbag comes as part of the centre of the steering wheel and so was booked in to have the work done. When the car was returned, the airbag hadn't been replaced, instead the put a new steering wheel on it! Subsequently, a complaint was made about this job being done incorrectly and the constant ringing the dealer to recify the problem. He was passed from pillar to post and was always told the service manager was at lunch or in a meeting. When getting someone else to ring up for the manager, lo and behold he suddenly became available!

The car was re-booked to have the airbag done (second time lucky!) and also two electric window motors as these had failed as well (after many days of ringing up and complaining it was finally agreed) This time when the car came back, they had fitted the new airbag but the steering wheel had been replaced with a very tatty old one (the original one was immaculate) ******* ***** denied they had made this mistake and were adament the steering wheel they put on was the original before they cocked up and put the new one on! After a few hours of phonecalls and arguements, they finally admitted they'd made a mistake and the car was dropped in that evening to finish the job properly!

At the same time as the steering wheel problem, he reported a terrible humming noise coming from the engine which they checked out and coudn't find a fault but my friend said it was very clear every day he drove the car. The car was taken in again the next day for someone else to listen for the humming noise. It was diagnosed by a technician to be a faulty steering pump. The car had a new pump fitted but didn't cure the problem so said it had to be re-booked to have a new steering rack fitted! They also had to adjust the passenger window because since the new motor was fitted the window was catching on the a-pillar.

The next day when driving down the road, the a-pillar cover on the same side that was catching the window, blew off in the wind! ******* ***** are telling my friend that this is not covered under warranty and deny the faulty window had anything to do with this cover falling off even though it was catching on it.

There have been other issues surrounding this 'mini disaster' too suchas rude comments made by service staff. Forgetting to order parts. Messages not passed on etc and the bad diagnosis on several occaisions. I believe ******* ***** were bought out last October but are only just changing to ****** now, but it would appear the name is improving nothing. Anyone else had similar problems, I'd be happy to hear. I believe trading standards may be informed and I feel this case may not be isolated. Although this is all min related, they are also the BMW main dealer too, so I'd steer clear if I were you!

Regards

Mike

Mike - we don't allow dealers names to be posted in posts like this - I've starred out the names so that the thread can continue
NeRo

Edited by nero

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 10:35

My advice to your friend would be to return the car to the dealer and ask for a full refund. If they object he should contact trading standards and BMW Uk. IMO the car has had sufficient go wrong with it for it not to be an unreasonable request.

Be carefull, I'm not sure how the moderators feel about people saying negative things about main dealers on here. I think the clubs connections with BMW mean that it is a bit of a touchy subject.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 10:39

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Be carefull, I'm not sure how the moderators feel about people saying negative things about main dealers on here. I think the clubs connections with BMW mean that it is a bit of a touchy subject.

If Mikes' story is fact based (I'm not doubting that it is, Mike), then BMW shouldn't have a problem having it aired in public when their dealer has obviously had ample opportunity to put things right and has failed to do so.

Also, seeing as they have access here in what is a public forum, then they should be able to respond with their 2 cents worth if they have a problem with it.

That's just my humble opinion, though.

dirtybeemer View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 11:00
Im with you fey, why shouldnt it be aired, it helps people to steer clear of garages like this, 540v8 i would tell your friend to take the car back and ask for a full refund or a replacement vehicle, if they are unwilling to do this then go to trading standards, go to trading standards any way as they will help him with this. also as peter says get him to write a very stern letter to BMWUK head office get them involved aswell, mention that your thinking of taking this to the press, they usally act then, as they dont want the bad press, and also tell them that your thinking of contacting watch dog.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 11:13
I'm not saying it shouldn't be aired, just that in the past when this has kind of thing has come up it has been quickly squashed. The Owners club can't afford to upset the dealer network.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 11:14
There is a time limit for rejecting a car so I'd check with Trading Standards. Get all the legal obligations straight before confronting the dealer again. Know what you want & what you're entitled to so you can stand your ground with confidence.

I would say the car is a lemon. Fixing these problems won't be the end of the story. I'd walk away from the car asap, either exchange with the dealer, trade-in or sell the car. Life's too short for hassle like this.

With a bit of tact, diplomacy & persuasion the dealer might give you a good deal on another car. They can then offload the problem onto someone else at auction. Beats getting bad publicity in the local press
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

BMW328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 11:24

to be honest ive been where you have with a lemon of a car and trading standards will most likely be full of good advice but in the end up have no teeth.

As AndyS says there is a time limit on rejecting a car and im almost certain your friend will be past this point as its something silly like 30 days. best speak to trading standards for a case analysis anyway. but i would guess the best that could come out of it is a "good deal" from the dealer to swap your car for another.

good luck

Edited by Z3BMW
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 11:51

peter wrote :-  I'm not saying it shouldn't be aired, just that in the past when this has kind of thing has come up it has been quickly squashed. The Owners club can't afford to upset the dealer network.

I know what your saying peter, and it wasnt a dig at you mate and niether is this, but i dont see why things like this should be squashed, just because it upsets the dealer network, after all if i was in charge of a company such as BMW then i would want to know feed back of what people think to the products produced, and the people that sell the products made by such a company, as they can only learn from the feedback, and improve on the negative side to make such a company be the best it can be, and where better to find this from then the owners of thier products, so what are we to do then be part of a biased forum/carclub stating that BMW dealers are fantastic, cant fault a single one of them, because it upsets them, if it upset them, then its for a reason and up to them to rectify that problem.

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 13:43
Whilst I understand the reason for not naming and shaming the Dealership, I would have thought that BMW UK CEO Jim O'Donnell would be interested in bad experiences at Dealerships . This is the same Jim O'Donnell who writes in Straight-6 "Notes from the Bunker". Through this forum he has access to a wide range of consumers throughout the country and it is our experiences that reflect the experiences we receive at his franchised dealerships.

We all wish for a better service from the Dealerships and valid criticism can only improve the service.

It is probably better getting feedback from the members here , than from the general public as we are more likely to stay loyal to the marque.

This is an open question “Should the moderators/management be actively suggesting a scheme like this to the CEO?”

My own view I am sick of the Dealers and have from today started to use a new BMW Dealership 30 miles away just to get away from the two that are nearer to me.
Robert Born
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 13:59

I'm afraid your moderators have been asked/told to act in this way.

Please contact the club office !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 14:07
Nigel

Thanks for the insight

Regards

Robert Born
Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 14:29
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I'm afraid your moderators have been asked/told to act in this way.

Please contact the club office !

Sorry I'm a bit confused, who has asked/told the moderators to act in this way?  ... and why can't we be told on the forum? 

In these enlightened times (even HM Government has the Freedom of Information Act) it would seem a bit of a poor show if the members here were not allowed to know who is restricting this information and for what reason.

If dealers are not providing a service and are named and shamed (this is not liable if its fact) surely this is to the benefit of the members and if the dealerships want the right of reply fair enough.  That's what has made ebay one of the most successful new companies in the world - the ability of itrs members to give feedback and the right of suppliers to respond.

If I ended up buying a car from the garage above and got the same treatment and then found out this site had protected them I'd be very very upset!

I might also suggest that theoretically the site could be sued by 'me' in the same way the Police could be reasonably sued if it was found out that they had allowed a drunk driver to carry on driving who then drove on and subsequently killed someone further down the road.

Still confused.

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 14:35

Blimey chaps! what a can of worms I appear to have opened! Firstly, I was not aware that is wasn't good practice to name BMW dealerships but I can in a roundabout kind of way understand because its nice for us owners to be able to get a good deal and advice here and there, so was not meant to upset the apple cart.

I do however, as I'm sure most of you do, feel sorry for this guy because although he has had some firm yet fair words with them, he hasn't had the knockout punch to get them to listen to him. It's only really because his dad works as a service manager for another vehicle manufacturer and it is him that has rang the dealership on many occaisions to resolve the situation, obviously knowing what to say and who to contact, him being in the position that he is. My fear is, that had he not had any contacts within the motor trade, where would he be now?

I myself, work in a main dealer (Mercedes Benz commercials) and am totally horrified at his story. If this was one of my customers, I'd be ashamed to work there. I understand that things go wrong and it's usually down to individual dealers but surely, if BMW were to find out about this they would be just as horrified as myself, and surely, this kind of service from aforementioned dealer, cannot be aimed at just this one person, I imagine there are many more in the woodwork yet to surface?

I have had the beemer bug for years now and have had three in that time, all of which have been fantastic but I'm hearing more and more of this type of thing within the BMW network. If you do a search on the 5 series technical forum, there is a name and shame topic on there which several people have some terrifying stories of bad service, some from the same dealers. Where has the sense of pride and quality control gone? Having said that, I've been in the motor trade for over 10 years now and we can't just blame BMW dealers it's everywhere you go. Once you leave the forecourt with the keys, thats the last they want to see of you unless you are coming back for servicing or parts, perish the thought of coming back with a problem. If car manufacturers want repeat customers, they really have to pull their socks up. It's a dog eat dog world out there and quality is slipping everwhere. I cannot believe how many people I know who have bought a Ford in the last couple of years! One of which has had a Mercedes c-class coupe, a 3 series beemer (bought 3 years old second hand and it went back 3 times in a year) and a mini cooper S (sold on due to bad service from main dealer) this guy now owns a nearly new fiesta and he said the main dealer is fab and the car feels fantastic. Does this not sound any warning sirens to the luxury car manufacturers anywhere?

Anyway, off the soap box now. Just thought I'd share my views as a person who has great pride in his work and who's heart is in the motor trade but is disgusted at how customers get treated nowadays. Something needs to be done by all. It shouldn't be just about volume sales but a genuine love for the car they are selling, and the customers who buy them, a service which should continue until that car meets the crusher!

Most humble regards

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 14:50

I seem to remember the reasoning was one persons bad experience doesn't make a bad dealer.

Maybe the original poster could ask the dealer if they would wish to respond on the BMW car club forum.

I have no knowledge of either the dealer or the poster, I'm sure there are poor dealers, I also know there are poor customers.

We have a good service thread on here, if a dealer isn't on there, they haven't been recommended by someone who posts on here.

The club is sponsored by BMW GB, they are unlikely to be grateful to us for allowing their dealers to be openly criticised on here, with no chance of reply.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 15:08
Does anyone have the customer service number at Bracknell to help Mikes friend out ?
Best Wishes

Nigel

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 15:35
01344 426565 and ask for Customer Services
Robert Born
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 15:56
As already mentioned, one bad experience doesn't make a bad dealer. I don't doubt the quality (or lack thereof) of the service recieved but until the dealer has the opportunity to respond, it wouldn't be a fair trial.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Jack735 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 16:41

Nigel and Killian

I am a bit sorry to learn that because the site is sponsored by BMW GB it is felt that the members of the forum cannot truthfully criticise shoddy workmanship by BMW, where it exists, or in fact other suppliers of services. I would be surprised if BMW would like to be seen in such a way. It is widely recognised that it is those companies who listen and learn from mistakes that keep customers happy and profits up. BMW couldn’t produce such fantastic cars (I am honoured to be an owner of a 735 and feel privileged, ooh isn‘t Joanna Lovely nice) without such an ethos.

Absolutely agree that anyone criticised anywhere, including here, should have the right to reply.

Perhaps complaints should be somehow be addressed to a group (not necessarily moderators because I can appreciate how busy you guys are!) who would then, not vetting the complaint, copy it to the dealership and BMW GB for a response within say 3 weeks. After that time, unless resolved to each parties satisfaction, both complaint and response(s) would be posted.

Regards

Jack

[Register of interest(?)

I had a post pulled a few months ago about an engine supplier who basically didn't supply but still charged, £2+k. Only very aggressive posturing from me to them and the credit card company stopped me being ripped off. I truly hope that no-one from here has since been ripped off by them or had to go through what I did.]

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 17:04

Jack

You make very valid points.

I really am only a moderator, I have the power to pull your posts ( as long as your not too high up!), but thats all, I'm a nobody as far as the club is concerned.

Bracknell, and the number has been kindly posted on here, is the place to go.

I welcome your suggestion that perhaps the club should be involved, I don't fancy your chances, but the agm is coming up, fancy giving it a go ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1996 P E39 523i se

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 17:29

Nigel wrote :-   I have no knowledge of either the dealer or the poster, I'm sure there are poor dealers, I also know there are poor customers.

Can you explain a bad customer nigel ?

KBannon wrote :-   As already mentioned, one bad experience doesn't make a bad dealer.

we will never get to know will we if  we cant put the names of the garage where the bad experiance has taken place, thus getting a build up against them, there might have been twenty people on this forum that has had a bad experiance with this garage but dont know because the name has been starred out.

jack735 wrote :-  I am a bit sorry to learn that because the site is sponsored by BMW GB it is felt that the members of the forum cannot truthfully criticise shoddy workmanship by BMW, where it exists, or in fact other suppliers of services. I would be surprised if BMW would like to be seen in such a way. It is widely recognised that it is those companies who listen and learn from mistakes that keep customers happy and profits up. BMW couldn’t produce such fantastic cars (I am honoured to be an owner of a 735 and feel privileged, ooh isn‘t Joanna Lovely nice) without such an ethos.

Absolutely agree that anyone criticised anywhere, including here, should have the right to reply.

Perhaps complaints should be somehow be addressed to a group (not necessarily moderators because I can appreciate how busy you guys are!) who would then, not vetting the complaint, copy it to the dealership and BMW GB for a response within say 3 weeks. After that time, unless resolved to each parties satisfaction, both complaint and response(s) would be posted.

totally agree with you on this point

I had a post pulled a few months ago about an engine supplier who basically didn't supply but still charged, £2+k. Only very aggressive posturing from me to them and the credit card company stopped me being ripped off. I truly hope that no-one from here has since been ripped off by them or had to go through what I did.]

I also agree with this point aswell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic