Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIMPORTANT! DVLA up to no good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 06:29

There is no rule to say you can't use a mobile phone.

If you are doing anything that interferes with your driving, you can be charged with driving without due care and attention, this isn't new, and has been the case for many years.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 07:08

yes nigel i know this. my point is u can not hold a mobile but u can still talk watch dvds all that stuff rules are made to be broken and not many people are charged with above offence ,

so now that the smoking bans out the way lets hit the drivers its all about money greed punish the working man

well thats my 10 pence shoot me down know i can take it

long live

the modified !

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 07:37

I'm with you Dazz, but occasionaly they do come up with a good rule, not often I agree.

It is an area that could do with looking at, again it will only be the few that spoil things, but think about it, you've modified your car in whatever way you want, its been passed by an official, you know its safe, your insurers know its safe, who loses ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 07:54

i agree mate fully modifi but be safe we all take pride in our cars

lets not take this away as well hopefully we can all meet in the middle

Edited by bmwcrazy
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 16:29

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

.....This is just typical of the kind of cr*p they come up with.

I wonder how much this 'super' MOT test will cost?

Possibly a new way of generating revenue. Taxing modifed cars .

On the other hand, it may take some of the chav element off the roads

But the "super MoT" is similar in spirit to some of the motoring laws on the Continent, which prevent - or at least severely restrict - modifications, particularly on older cars. One past subscriber to this Forum ("cisco" from Italy) has pointed out that, in Italy, he is not allowed to fit other than the wheels originally specified for his car - so you're doomed if your car was originally on metrics

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

Has anyone ever used their 'new' interactive phone line?.....

You need the ordinary landline number - get it from this helpful site

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 14:56
This sounds like a bit of hysteria, as EU regs should protect us frm any wierd UK-only leglislation.

Perhaps what we are really going to get is a Type Approval system similar to the German TuV system. If any teutonic customiser wants to modify his car, there's no problem - so long as it's done properly. If only parts carrying TuV approval have been used, it's just a matter of having the car's documents stamped by the local TuV office. This costs a little, but it's not much compared to the cost of, say, a set of Bilstien dampers and springs.

Steering wheels are quoted in the article, and - yes - anyone who dumps an airbag wheel in exchange for a non-bag but prettier wheel is going to have problems, but I can see the sense in such restrictions.

That's the problem - some people have more enthusiasm than sense!
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nostrils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:14
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

This sounds like a bit of hysteria, as EU regs should protect us frm any wierd UK-only leglislation.

Perhaps what we are really going to get is a Type Approval system similar to the German TuV system. If any teutonic customiser wants to modify his car, there's no problem - so long as it's done properly. If only parts carrying TuV approval have been used, it's just a matter of having the car's documents stamped by the local TuV office. This costs a little, but it's not much compared to the cost of, say, a set of Bilstien dampers and springs.

Steering wheels are quoted in the article, and - yes - anyone who dumps an airbag wheel in exchange for a non-bag but prettier wheel is going to have problems, but I can see the sense in such restrictions.

That's the problem - some people have more enthusiasm than sense!

I agree with what you say here! It is an old idea but now the government and DVLA see another way of making more money out of the motorists because modifying is VERY big business and they want a slice of the cake.

I think the police are concerned that many of these modded cars are not properly insured by not declaring what has been done! Sure, Chipping a car is a hidden mod, but most of the other stuff is quite obvious! How do these youngster afford insurance, because I get caned if I declare I have changed my lights for smoked over standard......WHY?    The insurance say its because the car becomes more desirable to 'the' thief - Which is of course absolute nonsense, a thief intent on make only a few hundred quid will steal anything!

My M3 just went for its MOT and passed OK and I questioned the operator about the lights and he said if they have the correct E number and is a certified item, then its fine, but if they are 'pony' cheap chinese rubbish he would fail it! He also told me that if a modded car comes into his garage and cannot get onto the ramp without assistance because of it being too low, then he will not test it.

I shall be keeping an eye on this!

Edited by Nostrils
Phil
Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2006 at 15:32

Sorry I’m not trying to be awkward here but .....

Why is it OK to slag off a government departments, who according to the article (1st April or not) are considering this brainchild of the British Police, so its not even DVLAs idea*, but not BMW dealerships, who are in some cases guilty of shoddy workmanship – see various other threads?

* ... and its not government departments who make laws such as this it’s the government of the day.  Government departments implement the law as directed by Parliament.

Yes I do work for a government department but not this one and it pi55e5 me off that government departments get the blame for Parliaments’ decisions – just the bad ones; Parliament (the Government of the day) take the credit should there be any good ones!

Yes I think its wrong that DVLAs telephone system is crap.

Edited by Jack735
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 13:55

I've checked the DVLA website and there appears to be no consultation on this subject.  That’s not to say such a scheme is not being considered.

I would suggest anyone concerned that discussions on this subject are taking place make a request under the Freedom of Information Act. 

Details of how this can be done and what you can expect as a response can be found at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/foi.htm

Something along the lines of 'I would be grateful if, through the FoI, you would provide me with details of consultations, correspondence, reports, records of meetings etc. that DVLA hold relating to changes or proposed changes to the current Laws and/or Regulations affecting modified or modifying road cars during the last 2 years.’

I would suggest that if something is being considered then what is provided through FoI could be quite valuable in the defence of what you enjoy doing.

Hope this helps.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 18:33

In response to Nostrils out pouring then if the MOT tester failed ANY car for not having an e number on a lamp or such then the tester would be bang out of order.

The only lamp he has to check for an e number is a wrapround indicator to see if it is acceptable instead of having a side repeater as well.

Again another piece of c*** issued by a so called professional tester!

When you have seen some of the so called mods by the boys with £2 cars and £500 stereos then you too would endorse a system where the quality of the modification is checked.

Germany only allow TUV approved accessories but in dear old blighty you can stick any sh*te to your car and it is not checked, unless it infringes a legal requirement.

Steviec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steviec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2006 at 19:39

Ive always been into modding and I think there needs to be a geater check on modified goods being sold as alot of goods are very poor quality. One make of alloy wheels being sold were known to be very fragile and hitting a small pothole could (and often would) crack them.

I dont think super mots are in order but a clampdown on the quality of goods being released on the UK market.

rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubberknees50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2006 at 20:29

A big area to cover here, according to original suggestion I would be unable to remove the metrics on my 735 in favour of  the bbs set, not would I be able to fit the wooden steering wheel sat in garage.

That would be silly, but I can see safety issues with altered suspension or brakes, and I know someone who's modded car was stolen and bricked it because mods were'nt declared to insurers - crazy!

As for DVLA automated phone line, I had a query on disabled regulations and I gave up after being diverted round in circles for half an hour.

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 10:31

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

If you are doing anything that interferes with your driving, you can be charged with driving without due care and attention, this isn't new, and has been the case for many years.

And does this inc the like's of looking down to change cass, cd, radio station, clock, turn the heater off/on ect ect ect. or maybe while driving you say "oh did I bring such n such?"....so you glance to the pass seat then round to the back seat....so in that split sec....bang...

Like most of you said (and quite right) it's just another way of getting even more money of the allready well pi55ed off motorist....

Just what the h  e ll is this country all about!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic