Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 TLC Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunnyM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2006 at 08:13

Brain,

that looks like a mamoth task mate but keep at it, the car will be fantastic when you have finished.

Sunny

Sponsored Links

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2006 at 20:04
Dave, I'm sure I could use your knowledge during the rebuild, so maybe I'll be calling you and asking' how the hell does this bit go back together '
Likewise if I can help out anytime, give me a shout.

Sunny, the rebuild is a tall order for someone as useless as me with a spanner ! But I keep seeing all these nice M3's at show and the Ring and think , I want something like that ! That's the driving force behind it.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2006 at 17:53
Brian, decided to get my Evo2 shell blasted, but I visited the bodyshop and the paint has already been fully stripped off! Just ordered 2 new front wings, rear panel, scuttle panel, outter sills and bonnet. Here we go again!!
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2006 at 17:59
Sounds good Paul.Lets see some good pics of all stages of the shell from as is, to complete again Evo2. Do you mind me asking who is do the shell prep and paint ? I'm still looking for someone to do mine when the time comes.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2006 at 18:10

Its being done by a friend of mine who would have done my SE if I thought he could handle my fussyness. But he wanted to have a go, and I have seen his work....as good as the SE finish. Its SGH Bodyworks in Bristol. I will pm you his number if you want it.

I have to say that my Evo 2 didn't look too bad, even with all the parts stripped off it, but removing the paint has shown even more nastyness. It has already had a back panel at some stage in its life, but the one on there has corroded under the rear bumper. Also the rear wings where they join onto the rear panel has corroded too. So I may buy new rear wing half sections and ask him to cut and use to replace the corroded parts. Its gonna take some work, but it'll be worth the hassle.

On a note about the SE, CVS in Cirencester did the bodywork. The finish is superb, but the top coat they used marks so bl**dy easily. We are going to use a different top coat for the Evo2.

I will post some pics once on my PC.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2006 at 18:07

Here you go Brian.....

The last pic is taken from outside the car (OSR behind bumper) looking in at battery tray in boot!!

Its having a new bonnet, scuttle, rear panel, lower rear wing sections, outer door sills (NOT covers!), and "UK" front wings for now. The roof and rear wings had little or no filler but the scuttle was full of fibreglass. There is some nastyness under where the fusebox goes, Uwe was right with this one, it has a hole! Didn't become apparent untill removing the sealer under the NSF inner wheel arch. There is some cracking to the bulkhead too so the shell will be put on a jig, pulled in line if needed (doubt it), welded and strengthened where it had cracked.

I never intended to go this far with this one, as it was supposed to be an everyday driver/engine/management project car, but it should turn out as good, if not better than my black SE. I can't wait to get it back on the road.....me is missing it.  And I now have a C/F Airbox to go on too

Now on the look out for a replica Evo3 rear spoiler and flap.

Also, has anyone got a genuine Evo2 lower rear spoiler too? The one on this one was a cheap fibreglass copy and broke when removing.

Edited by SHEPSM3
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2006 at 18:21
Thanks for the pics. Looks like we have similar projects and similar rust ! I was looking under the fuse box last night and found a hole where two panels join near the to the strut top.The scuttle is the same and I also have a rust hole like yours in the back panel,but going into the tray fro the jack and tools.
Are you not going to blast clean the shell now ? Hows the underside of the car ?

Good luck with it Paul. Having seen the work you did on your Sport, it's going to be something special when complete, I know !
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2006 at 22:57

Well, I was going to get it blasted, but when I turned up last week, the lads had already put about 3 gallons of paint stripper on it, so now I guess I will leave them to carry on with what they are doing. Underneath is as good as the SE was if you can remember what it looked like underneath?

Mine too has a hole on the nsr where the jack and tools are kept, although nothing like the osr. The scuttle is gone in 4 places. But judging by the amount of paint that came off, its been re-sprayed a few times I reckon. I was suprised however of the lack of dents in it. There was one bit of filler above the nsr wheel arch. Looks like a shopping trolley accident. Its a very straight car - honestly!

As to the SE, I am pleased with the finish....but maintaining it is a nightmare! We are going to used different paint and top coat with the Evo2. Apparently there is a very hard top coat out that is very resistant to scratching. Its expensive, but I'm looking at it.

Good luck with your's too Brian, these cars are very good at hiding all sorts of nastyness. Looking at yours and my Evo2, you would have never have knew how much rust can actually be there.

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2006 at 00:20

Great thread lads, you find out something new every day, keep the pics coming.

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Mark R View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Wimborne, Dorset

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2006 at 08:01
Brian,

Good to meet you last night! The wings are now nicely wrapped up in my garage waiting for my project to start.....

Just got to say that your car looked ace, even in it's half stripped state! the rust could be a lot worse!

Best of luck with the rebuild

Mark Roberts
E30 318iS

Wessex Region Secretary
E30 Registrar & committee member

Someone left a note on my windscreen. It read 'Parking Fine' that was nice
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2006 at 17:59
Hi Mark, good to meet you too. I'm pleased the wings are going towards a very interesting project.I'll look forward to seeing the end result.

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2006 at 19:04
Some pics of the rusty strut top.There was no sign at all that this was below the seam seeler.....
Floor pan rot thanks to blocked sill and sunroof draining into said area.Previous owner having used this area for a jacking point didn't help.That does it. Touring cars don't have sunroofs and this won't have either !
There's a few nice holes in the chassis leg in the right rear arch too.Again, you'd never know it was there untill you remove the underseal.

Edited by BMG M3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2006 at 23:22

Brian, this is just the things I found on my Evo2, although not so bad at the strutt tops, although someone has repaired these in the past.

With areas that have been "sealed" from the factory, it is very deceptive, as when you remove this sealer you can find nastyness as you have. It makes you wonder what would be left if the shell was acid dipped or shot blasted.  

Mine has halted for now untill next month as the bodyshop is bust with other work, and I havn't had the time off work to do anymore to it.

I also still have the sunroof-less roof panel too if you would like it?

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 09:16
Brian

Exactly the same with my top strut, but not as bad. My front floors have a few small holes. I took the sill skirts off and was suprised both sills were still solid.

I have started to grind away the surface rust and just coat wih an anti rust primer. I'll get the larger areas cut out and replaced by a friend.

Good luck with it.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2006 at 16:59
Toby if you are not going to get the surface rust
blasted to really get it good, try some of this stuff after
grinding - the clasic car fraturnity (?) swear by it.
You can get it by post.

I've tried it and it does work very well.

"DEOX GEL"
also the "DYNAX S-" cavity wax is apprantly also very
good and better than dinitrol etc.
I use this stuff quite often

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosionremoval.html

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 10:17
Dave

I have gone and ordered what you have recommended.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2008 at 21:48

Brian, hows your project comming along. Mine is nearly done now Nearly 2 and a half years later  and alot of grief from said bodyshop.

After all that time I am looking forward to getting it back up and running, but not looking forward to the time between now and then... its just been sooo long I stripped it. I am sure bits have gone astray, missing, thrown out etc.

You live and learn.

davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2008 at 00:37

respect to you guys. keep up the good work.

in the words of an ex alcoholic(namely me) one day at a time.

look forward to seeing them finished.

then you can come start mine.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic