Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 wins coveted award!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 12:33
The thing about the six cylinder cars is that they are
relatively fixable. Taking the head off is a DIY
ballache but not impossible. Head gaskets on a V8?
Even I wouldn't bother!
As for the E32 being more complex than the E34 - no
it isn't because they are exactly the same car - same
engine, geabox, diff, brakes, suspension, electrical
components - even the headlights and door handles
are the same. The E34 is a downsized E32 that
shares 95% of it's mechanical/electronic
components. The prop is longer and the front and
rear pressed steel subframes are wider but that's it.
Sponsored Links

RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 13:03

Not heard of many V8 head gasket failures and it doesn't seem to be a problem compared with the early six-cylinder engines.

The 6-pot cylinder heads are long and can warp if the engine is overheated excessively, which can cause head gasket sealing problems.

The V8 cylinder heads are much shorter and more rigid, hence less likely to warp, although not impossible if you're really unlucky

I've had the heads off numerous sixes and it wasn't a pleasant job with the exhaust manifold canted over 30 degrees.

I think the V8 would be even more unpleasant as the underbonnet of the V8's is very cramped and, being a classic 90 degree V8, the exhaust manifolds are canted over 45 degrees each cylinder bank with hardly any access room or clearance between the inner wings and engine/manifolds.

When I had to slightly nip up the steering box adjuster on my 540i, I had to jack up the engine slightly to raise the manifolds up from the steering box as there was that little clearance to work.

Apart from Nikasil issues the V8's seem to be bombproof although it seems very much a 'fit and forget' engine with very little you can do to it and a hateful repair procedure if it goes wrong

The sixes are much more user-friendly to work on, although they are not altogether trouble-free, mechanically speaking.

From a mechanical point of view, the E32 is no more complex than the E34 as they broadly share the same drivetrain/suspension layouts as 5KXO rightly says.

What does cloud the issue is the electrical systems, as most E32's had high trim levels and equipment count, whereas on the E34 you could get the smaller-engined models with a very basic specification and very few electrical accessories, so they were naturally much less complex from an electrical point of view.

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
chazzer View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 22:01
Originally posted by 5KXO 5KXO wrote:

E34 540i automatic has got the potential to be a
bottomless money pit however.
the things we do for love  even if i had to spend 2k on it i still couldnt match it for the money  not that its cost me anything other than servicing and an mot which it flew through  

Edited by chazzer
Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
& 1993 BMW E34 520I SE in dimond black
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by RedOctober RedOctober wrote:

Not heard of many V8
head gasket failures and it doesn't seem to be a
problem compared with the early six-cylinder
engines.

You're not wrong there. Apart from the Nikasil
dramas - which could be avoided if the cars were
properly run in - the 4 litre and 3 litre V8's are good
engines capable of 200'000+. The problems came
with the 4.4's which could blow a gasket but even
then it's normally due to being cooked (viscous fan,
coolant leak etc). But it's one of thoese engines
where if it did overheat and do a gasket, it would be
better to throw the engine away and fit another. The
blocks warp when overheated and they really aren't
fixable.
The problem is that the BMW brerakers still seem to
think they're worth a fortune - to me a 4 litre V8 is a
£300 engine because the cars they fit (old E32 and
E34) aren't worth that much now. When you can buy
a running 740i off Ebay with a decent engine for
£600, who pays £1000 for an engine??
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2006 at 11:19
Originally posted by RedOctober RedOctober wrote:

on the E34 you could get the
smaller-engined models with a very basic
specification and very few electrical accessories, so
they were naturally much less complex from an
electrical point of view.

Indeed - 518i and 520i's don't have the LKM
nonsense althouth they do still have the box of tricks
under the back seat. Grrrrrrrr!
bencolem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bencolem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2006 at 15:55
For fear of tempting fate here, I have to say that I've had absolutely no experience of the E34 540 being a moneypit - apart from a cracked oil filter housing in my black one, they've been paragons of reliability (so what are the odds of something expensive going pop now!). Besides, always felt that the 540 (especially if mated to an automatic gearbox) is likely to be the least stressed in the range (as a sweeping generalisation)!
E34 540iA Touring Saphire Black / Black
E39 540i Sport Touring Topaz Blue / Beige
E34 540iA Touring Sorrento Blue / Grey
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2006 at 18:25

I agree totally-of all the BM's I've had, and I've owned 10 in total, my current 1993 E34 540iA has been the most trouble-free of them all and a model of reliability-it just doesn't seem to break...

Of course, tommorrow morning I just know that the engine will throw a rod, the gearbox will dump it's fluid, and the final drive will explode on pulling away, assuming I could actually steer the thing after the steering box seizes internally and shears it's mounting bolts

Then I'll be back on here extolling the virtues of Lada Estates and how they're so simple you can fix them with a penknife

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2006 at 22:18
I agree with the above - the most reliable BM I've owned out of all the ones I've had is my current 93 E34 530iA, just the odd fuse blowing here and there and the odd bulb going - apart from that that's it 
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2006 at 09:03
Well that's me shut down then!! It's well worth
changing the gearbox oil on these though as they're
'sealed for life' meaning no dipstick. Taking the
bottom pan off, cleaning all the gunk out of the sump
(there will be plenty) and changing the filter is worth
doing as I bet none of yours have been done yet! It's
not DIY unless you have a lift and you need the
special synthetic oil in the V8 boxes (ZF560Z 5
speed). On some you can drain the torque converter
as well. On the ramp you refill with the oil pump
garages have though the level plug on the sump, let
it ilde in neutral for 15 mins to get bthe oil hot and
then add fluid with the engine still running until it
starts to overflow.
I did this job on my E36 320i last week - with 234'000
miles on the original fluid it was pretty minging.
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2006 at 09:24

I think that'll be a job for me soon - I've found my e34 to be a total pleasure to drive, only bills have been oil+filter changes, just gone straight through the MOT for the second year running, although the transmission oil is still a nice shade of red at the moment

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

Well that's me shut down then!!
  yep, i have also had my auto tranny service by my indy with the very expensive correct fluid, new filter, gaskets, o-rings etc well worth it though.....

regards

chaz
Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
& 1993 BMW E34 520I SE in dimond black
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 00:37

True and proper recognition for the e34! And I can also vouch the 540 does go like stink! (the stink is the rubber off the tyres) and that is including wife, 2.4 kids and a 40kilo german shepherd!!

I will also say, mine has been very well looked after since birth and has cost me two rocker cover gaskets and just service items. As I do my own mechanics, it's cheap as chips!  I'll never get rid of her unless the scrap yard has it's big greasy paws on her but I won't give up without a fight!!

Here's to the e34

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 19:49

I'll drink to that-I service my E34 540i myself as well, and it costs peanuts to sevice and nothing has broken in the 3 years and 36,000 miles I've had it. People at work keep banging on about their Fords which they bought as 'they're cheap to fix'. I reply that that's just as well as you'll need lots of repairs to them 

Funnily enough the same bod had to spend over £200 on a new cat for his old shed of a Mondeo and another £300 for a new clutch for his newer Focus-I waltz in and announce that my 'ancient' 13-year old BMW 540i has just sailed through it's third MOT in a row without fail, and nothing has broken since I've had it and I've not had to do any big repairs.

13 years old it may be, but it still cuts the mustard in the power stakes, as it was very powerful for a 4 litre in it's day-while everyone else had around 250ish bhp way back then from their 4 litre V8's, BMW upstaged everyone with close on the full 300bhp and a modern 5-speed auto that didn't cripple performance the way some older 4-speed autos did.

I took mine out this morning to get petrol when it was early and the air was nice and cold at 13C. Was trundling along at 30mph in the 30 zone and came to the dual carriageway with the national speed limit sign.

Plonked it into sport and just floored it, with just me in the car, clean K & N filter, airbox front restrictor removed and it immediately kicked down to 1st gear at around 4000rpm and just took off savagely, lunging for the redline and chewing up the horizon.

Add in 30mpg on a long run and the fact that they're a pathetic few measly grand to buy now and you've got the performance bargain of the decade that won't leave you stranded by the roadside!

No matter what argument I try, I just cannot justify ever letting it go and I can't imagine life without it now-there's nothing I could replace it with for the price that would be such a good all-rounder.

I've got the saloon, but the 540i Touring is the dark horse and truly a car for all seasons-V8 Hot Rod street racer, relaxed cruiser, big family holdall, mobile dog-house, and lug all your wardrobe flat-packs back from B & Q at breakneck speed

I could go on forever-in fact I think I have so I'll shut up and drink a few cold Murphy's toasts to the E34 in general, and the E34 540i in particular

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 21:58

I'll drink to that red! How poetically put! nice! 

Mine has the M-tec suspension, body kit and 6 speed manual with the added bonus of a pipercross induction kit, minus the air restricter (soon to manufacture my own 'cold air' scoop), so for me it's a case of trundling along at 30, eyes lighting up at the national speed limit sign, dropping it into 3rd and flooring the loud pedal! Then she takes off like a thorough-bred horse thats just had it's ass stung by a wasp! WHOOSH, what a sound a V8 makes when un-hindered with a louder air filter! It's a sound like no other. Maybe just an exhaust now to complete the picture!

Going along with you red, I cannot bring myself to part with it, infact, it is a part of me. When I was hit by an un-insured driver (never traced, still hurts me and my wallet to the day! GRRR) I had to buy it back from the insurance co. because I wouldn't ever find an exact replacement, not with the gizmo's and trim along with the 6 box. so it has cost me money but not through any fault of the cars or mine so that doesn't count! All the more reason to keep her because she is now registered as having been written off before (shows up on the new printed MOT cert.) I can never get any decent money for it even though there is not a single trace of damage now, infact, the whole front had to be re-sprayed to blend in the front end so she looks better than before! If she was ever hit and put beyond repair through no fault of mine, I think I'd end up punching the offenders lights out as I wallowed in my pity for her! Call me sad, but many others out there will know where I'm coming from. I'm not insane, a little mad, insane no!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 19:41

I think myself and many others will know exactly where you're coming from Mike and, anyway, if this is what being mad involves, then I say 'Bring it On'  in spades

I first read about the E34 540i in the first Autocar road test way back in 1992, and I knew then I wanted to have one when they dropped into my price bracket, which I knew would be many years.

Then, horror of horrors, I read about the Nikasil issue and that nearly shattered my dreams, as it wouldn't have been feasible to buy a sick one and try and repair the engine yourself, given the nature of the problem-BMW and worn cylinder bores just seemed totally wrong and at odds with the way of the universe somehow.

Anyway, after the Alusil salvation my faith was restored and I managed to source mine 3 years ago-a 2 owner 88k mile car with full main dealer history and a new engine fitted at the main dealer approx 6 months after the Alusil replacement blocks were introduced.

Mine was the basic 540i model, not the SE model, and had remarkably few toys-full soft leather interior but no air-con. However, I was more interested in the 'go' department and it never gets that hot up here in the rainy North-West of England anyway

Another advantage in my eyes of the meagre gadget count was the weight saving of not having either air-con apparatus to cart around or electric seats etc, so it's a little bit lighter than most 540i's, although not by a huge amount admittedly.

I discovered by accident that removing the airbox intake restricter pipe opened up the inlet diameter to the airbox and gave a more throaty induction bark with a K & N filter element in the standard airbox.

I retained the rear headlight shrouds and standard airbox so it only sucks in cold intake air and, automatic or not, it really does fly on cool days with one up and no more than half a tankful of fuel-on 1 particular cool dry windless winter night at a very late hour, I wound it out fully on a deserted stretch of 'Der Britishe Autobahn, Offizier' and hit the speed limiter at an indicated 154mph with the engine still pulling. It felt like there was another 10mph to come, as you could feel the engine power being softly throttled back at the limiter and the car stopped accelerating.

With 13 years, 125k on the clock now and a very meagre equipment count it's probably worth no more than £3k tops to a serious buyer or less than £2k to an Autotrader 'tyre kicker'.

Which is why I'll never sell it.

It's still capable of giving 'young blades' a bloody good fright when they see my big old 'Grandads' saloon car and then try it on-usually in Max Powered Hondas with baked bean tin exhausts etc. Not a few have learnt the hard way that 'Grandad still rocks Da House'

I can truly understand why you won't part with yours and have put all that effort into it-you really can justify it with this model of car.  The 540i was unique in it's day and there was very little to touch it.

Even now it's still damn fast, acceptably economical, and sounds so much nicer at the redline than the latest expensive TurboDiesels-you really do get masses of 'Bang for your Buck'

Part with it? Nah-I'd rather put my wedding tackle in a bacon slicer as that would bring notably less tears to my eyes

Cheers

Alex

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 19:56

Nice words there Alex, I'm watching several 540's that are appearing on ebay at the moment, I'm getting very tempted to plump for one, although I keep putting it off as the 530 is just so reliable, and I'm under strict orders to find the ball and chain another car first, although I may end up getting one anyway and ending up in the doghouse but I can't get her to pin down a car that she wants

Paul

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 20:20
e34silver530i - I feel the same way about getting a 540 - but due to my current 530 being ultra reliable and the lack of decent 540's appearing on EBay I think I'll be staying with mine for a while longer - which is a record for me

Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedOctober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 20:42

Wise decisions there guys-there's much to be said with holding on to a reliable car, and 530i's are still very nice cars indeed.

I had a very long wait to find my ideal 540i, as you've got to be careful you don't saddle yourself with a sick Nikasil-afflicted example.

All other faults on an E34 540i can be repaired without too much pain-even the autobox-but a failed Nikasil engine will scrap the car as a new engine plus fitting will cost much more than the value of the car at current market levels, as they're all old now.

I may be guessing here, but I think cherished E34 540i's with good engines will be sold through specialist marque and owners club magazines for a good price, and sick Nikasil-engined ones will be flogged off on eBay as cheaply and as quickly as possible.

Of all the cars to avoid buying on eBay, I think an E34/E32 V8 model tops the charts, unless you REALLY know what you're doing and go and give the vehicle a THOROUGH road test from stone cold before bidding for it later.

Sorry to sound alarmist, but I'm an old-fashioned trudge-round-to-the-seller-and-give-it-a-thorough-inspection type of car buyer.

If the car's had a replacement Alusil block and is in good shape, then  the seller would be singing loudly about this if he knows his onions and realises it will get him a better price on the used market.

If not, then why not? The V8 E32/E34 is a specialist car for most people and you'd hope the seller had some idea of what he's talking about.

Having said that, there's always the possibility that there's the odd 'hidden gem' out there, and maybe even healthy Nikasil cars that somehow escaped engine damage and were run largely on low sulphur fuels.

Just a case of being 'streetwise' I guess 

Alex

PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2006 at 21:00

I was the same iwth the 530, as I had bought it off ebay for £475, went to look at it, the seller was in the Navy and the rest is history - I think I had a real gem of a car here and certainly intend to keep it for a while yet...

Paul

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2006 at 09:08

Originally posted by fingerman fingerman wrote:

and the lack of decent 540's appearing on EBay

There were a few out there when I was looking. Mind you it is easier to find a better cared E34 with a smaller engine since the 540 does seem popular with the go fast guys. The only downside to the 540 as far as I could see is that 99% of them have auto boxes which just aren't my thing. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic