Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrands Hatch BMs only Trackday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houlbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 12:26
To be fair Dave you are speaking with the wisdom of an experienced track attendee and I had drawn similar conclusions myself.

To be honest I am somewhat wary of a BMW only track day (as I am for other focused track days) for more than one reason....
  • This BMW days gets more hype than generic track days and results in there always being a small hero element out to show their credentials on track (irrespective of their ability)
  • These enthusiast focused days attract proportionally more 'BMW enthusiasts' than 'Track day enthusiasts' than a generic track day would - you can draw your own conclusions as to if this positively or negatively impacts the driving standard (althoughI think the answer is negative)

I am also somewhat wary that I will be taking my CSL out this time and whilst this will be my first outing in this car I am less concerned about managing my own ability than I am about dealing with the odd hero in his other BMW who wants to show me how much better his E36 M3 is around paddock etc (you get the point)

This type of 'cockmanship' makes me laugh... I remember in the E30M3 watching some pin head in a new 996 C4S stick it in the gravel because he didn't want to let me past & ultimately out-braked himself into a corner. Fortunately I know I am not going to fall into this camp as if I seem someone quicker come up behind me I always let them past. I'm there to learn the limits of the CSL and not prove how quick it is.

Anyhow, if it's wet you won't see too much of me but I don't think the forecast is too bad at present (dry band moving north). Precip Map

Rant over

http://www.houlbrook.com/

Edited by Houlbt
www.houlbrook.com
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 13:50
We haven't even arrived and everybody is drawing black clouds. Take it easy

Wait till things happen and than react.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fancy any sort of paint exchange, but what's the point of signing up for a track day and then woriie about what might happen?

If you worried about yourself and you machinerie, don't sign up

Otherwise, be a good role model and show to the others how it's done. And I don't mean the fast driving bit only.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 15:54
All the MSV track days are well marshalled, and bad driving is always dealt withUwe is right in what he says why worry already we are not even there yet,  there is always someone at any track day BMW or open that fancies him self as a driver, you just give them more room than others,
i have seen this even from some very experinced race drivers.
lets just go and have some fun, we have all made mistakes in the past  and still do, remember Paddock hill bend Houlbt as i recall your car E30 M3?  in the gravel there ? so even us as experinced track day drivers make mistakes

Oops i went and got an E36 !
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houlbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 16:07
Originally posted by trackM3 trackM3 wrote:

we have all made mistakes in the past and still do, remember Paddock hill bend Houlbt as i recall your car E30 M3? in the gravel there ? so even us as experinced track day drivers make mistakes

Ouch... cutting, I've no issue with people going off - just so long as they don't endanger other drivers.

With respect to my own little gravel incident (June 2005) - I ran out of brakes/tyres on a very hot evening after 45mins on track i the E30 M3. I wasn't happy I had scrubbed enough speed as I approached the turn in for Paddock Hill bend and elected to continue to brake straight and then drive into the gravel. Better that than commit to the corner and risk screwing it up at 3 times the speed.

~Notice the nice straight tracks - I actually thought I might be able to get out the other side of the sand pit... but that stuff was softer than I thought.
www.houlbrook.com
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 16:13
Tom, Not trying to be cutting, just praising you, in that even the experienced drivers make mistakes, so lets not worry until we get there, anyway i have enough tea/coffee for the whole day in the pits if we need.
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 17:08
Tom,

Seeing your taped up headlights reminded me that in the guidance notes MSV ask for all glass front and rear light to be taped..

Looking forward to a great day
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houlbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 18:09
www.houlbrook.com
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 18:13
Pilot error, me thinks ?
maxfield View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 18:35
Bet he was gutted. Maybe he wasn't as experienced as he thought taking dsc off???
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAWIEM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 19:16

Hello Guys,

Read the coments to the post and am not wanting to draw black clouds as Uwe has put it, just that maybe being a little bit more cautious than usual given the amount of BMW`s going to be their and posts of people buying scappers to do a track day in. It also indicates that I am already thinking about the day and my own driving, anticipating possible situations that could ruin the day for me.

My car has recently been featured in magazine saying that it is one of the quickest of the quick ( Its not really  fast at all, ask Jon and Houlbt they will confirm it) and so am making allowances and anticipating  that some hero who has read the article will try, a do or die move  to say he overtook me. I`m not worried someone overtakes me, just as long as it is safe and clean. I look at it that I allowed him to overtake as I moved over and got off the gas to allow him to pass. Thers no bragging rights if the guy in front had to indicate , pull over, slow down, so you can pass. I nearly decided not to go once the article came out, as my car rather stands out and is quite noticable. Its like being the fox  all the hounds are after.

At the end of the day I will just have to see the standard on the day and either adjust my driving to accomadate these hero`s, or will just enjoy the company in the pits knowing that I will at least be taking my car home in one piece. (Hopefully).

Those of you that have spent loads on your car, or if its your pride and joy will know what I mean.

Regards,

PS. Mental note to myself - MUST take two cans of RED MIST along.

Dave

Edited by DAWIEM3
E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 22:13
Dave,
As always there will be a few plonkers about,they are easily spotted by the blacked out windows .
Did a bit of prep to the car today,fitted the yoko`s,adjusted the camber and ride height and changed the brakes to DS3000`s.
Took it for a quick drive and in the greasy conditions it
was a right handful(no heat in the brakes or tyres).Washed it again as well as I`m a tart,was going to clean the engine just for Uwe But went go karting instead in the dark with a black visor,now that was interesting,on slicks too!
As for Brands,it`s a bit of fun,unless it rains and then its a coffee morning.

Jon
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancelotII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 22:15
I think we all know where you are coming from Dave. However, I think in terms of marshalling I think MSV will be quite tough. They have introduced the policy of charging people for Armco if they ding it, so it's a double wammy if you visit the scenery. Anyway, looking forward to it.

See you all Thursday.

Rgds

Roops
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 22:21

Originally posted by Houlbt Houlbt wrote:

With respect to my own little gravel incident (June 2005) ... I actually thought I might be able to get out the other side of the sand pit... but that stuff was softer than I thought.

or you weren't going as quickly as you thought?

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 09:41
There is 35 + E30 M3'S there with a limit of 50 for the day, and i was told they are slightly over booked ?, so if there are some inexperienced drivers it wont be many.
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 14:50
Well I hope it rains!

With 50 cars booked up the Indy circuit is gonna be *really* busy!!!

But with a wet day and all the tea-drinkers staying in the pit-lane, there will be more space on the track!!

I don't have any issues driving in the wet...can be more fun, in a lot of ways, if not (quite) so fast...
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancelotII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 15:10
Well there won't be 50 cars on track at once, that's for sure more like 25 max, and I suspect that it will go like most open pit lane days. The seasoned vets will loiter for the first hour, drinking tea and kicking tyres while the "hot shoes" all dash out to set a new lap record, after the initial frenzy it will calm down a bit and by the end of the day the track will be almost deserted with only the vets still out playing in cool autumn sunshine.......
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 15:24
Quote "PS. Mental note to myself - MUST take two
cans of RED MIST along.

Dave"

Dave, Jon has a whole shed full
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 15:32
Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

Well there won't be 50 cars on track at once, that's for sure more like 25 max, and I suspect that it will go like most open pit lane days. The seasoned vets will loiter for the first hour, drinking tea and kicking tyres while the "hot shoes" all dash out to set a new lap record, after the initial frenzy it will calm down a bit and by the end of the day the track will be almost deserted with only the vets still out playing in cool autumn sunshine.......

I do hope you are correct!
IIRC, the max number of starters for a race on the Indy circuit is 28...

I suspect it will be dependant on the weather...If it is dry and sunny first thing, I would expect most people will take advantage in case it turns out like Silverstone in Sept...That was dry and bright until lunchtime and then it was torrential rain! Certainly made for a much emptier track in the afternoon!
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houlbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 15:34
50 cars is a fair tally for such a short circuit... but open pit lane normally works itself out quite well
www.houlbrook.com
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancelotII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 15:39
I am sure it will be fine, even if it rains you can still enjoy, it's just a different challenge.......soften up the car, drop 2-5lbs of air out of your road tyres and explore........(not the scenery..)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic