Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrands Hatch BMs only Trackday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 20:18
Originally posted by M3sportEvo M3sportEvo wrote:

come on then guys how did the day go after aal the hype???? some of you must be back by now. just sorry I could not get myself.

was really really good! One of the best track days I have attended. All the people from the forum there, everybody was in a good spirit. No major crashes.
Really good day!
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 21:03
Yep Great day, weather was good. The track was very slippery first thing which I think had a calming influence during the morning. There were one or two offs but as far as I am aware all cars involved drove home. One engine appears to have to have cried "enough",  I hope further investigation shows nothing too major.

Very well controlled day by MSV, I will be back at Brands particularly if it is the GP circuit now I know the Indy.

I was hoping to bring home the cone I punted to safety from the middle of Paddock Hill bend after somebody decided that the apex wasn't where the MSV folks thought it should be....

A great way to finish 2006.

Cheers

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 21:12
Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Yep Great day, weather was good. The track was very slippery first thing which I think had a calming influence during the morning. There were one or two offs but as far as I am aware all cars involved drove home. One engine appears to have to have cried "enough",  I hope further investigation shows nothing too major.Very well controlled day by MSV, I will be back at Brands particularly if it is the GP circuit now I know the Indy.I was hoping to bring home the cone I punted to safety from the middle of Paddock Hill bend after somebody decided that the apex wasn't where the MSV folks thought it should be....A great way to finish 2006.Cheers

I was wondering who gave that cone a hammering Flew a long way to the other side, didn't it?
I hope your car wasn't damaged.
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 21:18
Yep i go along with both the above, it was a great day, the weather held, all the early concerns from a few people didn't come to anything, see you all again next year 
Oops i went and got an E36 !
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 21:24
Superb day at Brands...

Suspect the engine you were talking about was mine...Bearings went after circa 40laps in the AM and just before lunchtime...

Still, car was handling well and I enjoyed the day...
Time for a think about the next step...

The recent RR test showed only 175bhp or so at the flywheel in any case...so I was considering a rebuild over the winter...
Now it is a certainty!

Probably gonna go with a completely balanced and lightened bottom end, standard pistons (assuming the block/bores are OK and undamaged) and port out the head with some bigger valves and some decent cams, 48mm throttle bodies, Carbon/Alpha N, etc...
May go the 2.5 route if the crank is fubar'd...

Actually looking forward to the experience of the build, if not the expense..

Good to actually meet you, Uwe, and thanks for giving Carol an enjoyable ride!

And gotta thank Alex Elliot for the few laps in the CSL he squeezed in for me...memorable, although I'll bring earplugs next time!
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 21:59
Uwe - Thankfully the cone didn't damage my front spoiler and looking at he video footage it was an interesting incident.

Jules -  good to see you again - I wasn't aware of your engine dilemma (so that makes it two ).

I went thru a similar experience earlier this year and  now have a rebuilt engine which is just great, I have forgotten about the expense and am now enjoying the experience!!! Good luck with your rebuild.

Those CSL's looked superb...great folks = great day

Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 22:03
Uwe, just to clarify somebody else moved the cone to the middle of Paddock Hill for me to move out of harms way and I have the video footage to prove it .

great corner that, I am struggling to think of one at the NS which compares.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 22:06
Good to see all the usual suspects having a good
time, but still had a good day from the passenger
seat.

Looks like there was 2 engines down then Dave's
didn't look 'too happy' either.

And looks like everyone left the cans of red mist at
home!
m3bob View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 22:31

That goes down as another one of my great days

Kevin at last someone has noticed that there are great corners here in the uk, other than going to the ns. Paddock is a fantastic corner,, and im sure youll all agree that even the indy is quite a techical little circuit, the Gp is fantastic though

I hope we all get chance to do it again soon, it was nice to see some forum faces, have a chat and a cuppa from the legendry urn, today was what trackdays are all about, thanks all

I may go back 7th Jan 2007 for some more

1987 Alpine E30 M3
1990 Alpine E30 M3 TRACK CAR
1988 E30 325 TOURING
1988 E30 325 CAB
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 22:35

Originally posted by m3bob m3bob wrote:

I may go back 7th Jan 2007 for some more

Brands Hatch GP is a super circuit - drove it anumber of years ago before it went too PC

I'm there on the Indy in Feb - MSA Marshals only do (sorry chaps)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2006 at 23:31
Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Uwe, just to clarify somebody else moved the cone to the middle of Paddock Hill for me to move out of harms way and I have the video footage to prove it .

great corner that, I am struggling to think of one at the NS which compares.

Ive done 40 or so laps at Brands and bottled Paddock everytime!

Glad to hear it was a good day, pity i wasnt there
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 00:26

What a great day,with a great bunch of like minded loons.Was good to meet old friends,you don`t see day to day and the banter was in full flow allday.
Car went well all day,no drama`s apart from a faulty tyre that decided it wanted to be square?
Dave,hope it`s not to bad The smashed plug didn`t look good.
Hope everyone got home OK,took me all of 20 mins Looking forward to the next one already.

Jon
amorgan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 07:54

Was a great day. some really fast e30's there. definately need to think about the next stage of upgrades now.  

Uwe - could not get enough of the sound of your engine

adrian

am
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 08:24
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

What a great day,with a great bunch of like minded loons.Was good to meet old friends,you don`t see day to day and the banter was in full flow allday.
Car went well all day,no drama`s apart from a faulty tyre that decided it wanted to be square?
Hope everyone got home OK,took me all of 20 mins Looking forward to the next one already.

Jon
Jon 20 mins, where do you live near toby ? i was on  my third cup of tea and finished my dinner by then 
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 08:27
the only pleasure I had on my way home was Dartford Tunnel.......
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 08:32
Uwe, yes it is nice, i like that colour tile to ! and i find the lighting very relaxing 
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancelotII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 08:52
'Twas, a great day for sure. How lucky where we with the weather....look at it today !!!

Note to self, must sort out the fumes in my car.....feel a bit groggy today, I am sure it's due to my leaking/rattly exhaust and the fuel filler cap's a bit crook.....other than that still amazes me how much abuse a 15 year old plus 4 pot can take and how much better through the bendy bits it is in comparison to all the modern lardo wagons with a gazillion horsepower....

Rgds

Roops
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAWIEM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 09:28

Hi Guys,

Yes, must eco a great day out, even though the engine went bang. S_it happens. Thanks for the lift back to the pits, and for Toby dropping me off to collect the trailer.

Must say even given the engine failure, the best day out at brands for a long time, excellent driving from all, even the novices &  marshals that used their flags. Well done to all. 

Initial report on the engine, 2 bent valves on inlet pot 2 , so currently suspect that a valve seat dropped causing the failure. Will strip down the engine this weekend and see the extent of the damage. The valve springs, collects are all intact from above , hence why suspect the valve seat. Will only know once apart.

Regards,

Dave

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 09:34
BTW was it our Rockstar who caused to end the day early??
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2006 at 09:48
Originally posted by trackM3 trackM3 wrote:

Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

Jon
Jon 20 mins, where do you live near toby ? i was on  my third cup of tea and finished my dinner by then 

If only i lived 20 mins away, more like 20 hours.

I had a great day too just spectating.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic