Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChips away....dont bother (not tec)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chips away....dont bother (not tec)
    Posted: 06-November-2006 at 16:29
Like I said, haunt the guy when he sets up shop at the weekends.

He'll soon think twice when his income starts to drop.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sponsored Links

chazzer View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2006 at 15:37

Well i have spoke to head office, the chap that fu*ked it up has given me a refund but has left me with an 650.00 bill that chipsaway wont pay for because and their exact words were "we wont pay for a bodyshop repair because we dont paint whole panels" i told them they shouldnt have wrecked the whole panels and the only way to get compensation would be through the small cllaims court with no garantee

so there you go, my pride and joy covered in overspray with mis-matching patchey paint and chipsaway do it for free....and now couldnt give a sh*t would have been better in someone had vandalised it ....

regards

chaz

Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
& 1993 BMW E34 520I SE in dimond black
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2006 at 19:35
I looked at taking on a Chips Away franchise (22k+) but scrapped the idea when I found that dealers won't use them & my area is saturated with similar rivals. I was told (by a dealer) that the finish isn't always that good & by the time they've set everything up the car could have gone to a bodyshop.

Expectations too high? Chips Away blow their own trumpet very loudly as far as quality of finish is concerned.

Chips Away is in fact quite pricey compared to a conventional bodyshop. The usp of CA is the convenience factor compared to a conventional bodyshop. Personally I wouldn't use them.

Good luck with your claim against them. You could alway park up next to them when they set up shop on retail parks etc. & loudly proclaim your dissatisfaction with them. That'll get results!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2006 at 17:45
I will be onto head ofiice on monday .... will keep you guys posted on what happens ...

Im still smiling (just)

will be happy when this is all over....
Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 22:46

Chips away central office make sure all the franchises have liability insurance to cover damages that they cause to the car.  So id be very vocal with them about it  The glasgow branch is none the better.

528 for now
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 20:47

Really Sorry to hear that chazzer  It must be SO frustrating..

As previously mentioned, now is the time to chase up Chipsaway Central Office to complain about it..If they are not willing to do anything about it, then onto Trading Standards.

Oh, make sure you mention Trading Standards when complaining to Chipsaway..Then you may be treated in a more respectable manner and not just fobbed off. The company will be insured to the hilt, all sorts of liability etc..time for a pay out me thinks.

This could happen to anyone else, nows the time to prevent it!

chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 19:48
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

Cannae get the staff chazzer!

Outcome to be expected, hopefully you will get it sorted and he will cover the cost..but I wouldn't hold yer breath. I have a feeling he may cover a percentage of the cost but, hopefully I'll be wrong and he will pay for it all.

..Good luck!

afriad to say your right mate he is now saying he will only refund my money which leaves me with 600.00 of bodyshop bill plus all the overspray covered parts which i just cant get cleaned up he  also said "my expectations were to high" however i think that a patchy dull paint finish looks c**p regardless of my expectations

what a complete sh*tter...

dont make the same mistake guys

Chaz
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2006 at 19:30

Cannae get the staff chazzer!

Outcome to be expected, hopefully you will get it sorted and he will cover the cost..but I wouldn't hold yer breath. I have a feeling he may cover a percentage of the cost but, hopefully I'll be wrong and he will pay for it all.

..Good luck!

chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2006 at 22:37
well my worst fears have come true, the chipsaway guy cleaned up most of his mess with overspray etc and re-painted in a colour which was definatly closer to artic silver, however i still have a patchey "matt" finish which is now where near as shiney as the rest of the paint but he has completely trashed it when he polished it up with his rotary there are 16 marks on the new paint ranging between a 1/2 inch to an inch in length where the polishing pad hasnt gone square on the panel and has scuffed the paint ....
got to call him tomorrow and let him know what i think.....

off to bmw soon hopefully he will still cover the cost

regards

chaz
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 22:46
Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

Which Chipsaway was he Chazzer....Bristol or further afield?
o well named and shamed its a chap called kelvin henley based in weston-super-mare and works the south bristol area's towards bath

he may get it right this time

But i doubt it

regards

chaz
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 19:12
Which Chipsaway was he Chazzer....Bristol or further afield?

In some form of defence I used Chipsaway in Wellingborough (not much use when in the South West though) and they were SUPERB.....invisibly removed some very deep scratches from my 520s bonnet.

BUT I had previously received advice only to use the Chipsaway places with premises as they tend to be trained sprayers who havent got the to start on their own so go franchise.
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2006 at 09:31

Well just been to the bmw approved bodyshop today, there are sorting out a written quote for me, and have said that eanything that cant be cleaned up will be replaced, i did for-warn them he was having another go on thursday, they told me not to get my hopes up and that i would see them soon ....they obviously have had other victims of chipsaway in .... he told me really then only do stone chips and they arent as good as everyone thinks at that  and that he should never attempted to spray half the side of the car.... 

still learning ....

regards

chazzer 

lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 19:55
bloody chancers!!! sorry to hear that mate!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2006 at 14:00

Good luck Chazzer!  At least you know you'll get it done right in the end..which is more than I can say regarding 'Chips Away!

The 'Chips Away' guy in the Scottish Borders doesn't even answer or return calls..I've phoned on three separate occassions without reply over the last three months to get some dents taken out of the BM.. 

He's just had a nice writeup in the local rag, which puts him and his other half up there, when in reality, they are way down in my rankings with BAD communication skills and downright ignorance!

Chips Away, no way! [rant over]

chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2006 at 12:57

My best friend is coming out again on the second of november to "try again" if he balls it up which im sure he will, its of to bmw, and i have also stated any parts he cant get his overspray off from last time will be replaced at his expense and this time it would be nice if he covered the rest of the car so it doesnt get covered in over spray...

will keep you guys posted

regards

chaz

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2006 at 22:46

Chaz, you have my utmost sympathy. It made my blood boil just reading your experience. Whatever you do, do not let him get away with spoiling your pride and joy! If they mess it up second time around, tell them you want them to pay for a proper job to be done at a bodyshop. If they don't agree, tell them you'll go to trading standards and maybe even the local newspaper and post it on the many forums you are a member of (honest John website is fantastic for this kind of thing, lots of complaints are listed on here, you may not be the first)

Don't let it lie, you are a consumer with rights and trading standards do come down hard on those who dare to con customers and if you are not the first to complain, they'll be very interested. A friend of mine has contacted them before, they contacted the company in question, he got a swift re-fund and they offered him an extra settlement before he even mentioned court! Worth considering but if they are smart, they'd probably sort it out if you so much as mentioned trading standards!

Go for it and good luck. Let us know how you get on

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 21:40
Bu&&er!

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 21:27

glad you can see some light at the end of the tunnel mate

let us know the outcome, im surprised if they have not said to you "please do not tell anyone"!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have lost my confidence anyway, you can tell them from me, and if i did get them to the job i shall not be paying them until its dried and im happy. I take it this was the guy from Bristol?

Good luck mate

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
chazzer View Drop Down
V8 Baby !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 19:58
[QUOTE=Exharper]
Did you feel that you could not pay the guy after you realised it was a bodge job. and also did he not agree that it was a bad job,[QUOTE]

he said to me today that he knew it was going to be patchy after drying out , so why did he tell me otherwise ?? i cant really discribe what i felt when i realised how sh*te the job was ... i just felt guted but at the time re-assured that some polish and a few days all will be fine so like a complete mug paid him and it bit me i the ass

i live and learn

chaz

Edited by chazzer
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 19:57
Good luck 
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic