FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1990 bmw 525i SE Advice Sought

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 bmw 525i SE Advice Sought
    Posted: 14-February-2007 at 09:54

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, big plans. One thing you need to consider though, will the car still run ok on LPG once you fit a turbo to it? IIRC LPG conversions aren't suitable for Turbocharged cars although I could be wrong.

I'm afraid i can't help with any of the problems since i've never owned an E34.

Oh and the body kit looks ok IMO, you just need to make sure the car has the go to match the show.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

thomp1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomp1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 18:25

would be the whole cluster, the site listed doesn't seem to mention the circuit boards and the diagrams are slightly different

chris

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 11:49

If you navigate upwards on those links I sent you, they reference the instrument cluster for each car...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 11:48

Quite!!! My hobby is cars too and I spend WAY too much money on them!!!

Which "clocks" in question? Just the speedo and Rev counter or the whole cluster?

BB

87 E30 320I
thomp1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomp1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 11:43

sorry wrong clocks meant the instrument panel (speedo etc.)

no spouse to speak of thats the reason i can now do this and get rid of my a4 tdi. as for cost we all spend money on hobbies just happens mine are cars

chris

Edited by thomp1983
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 11:38

Looks the same...

This is the 520I link

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB12&mospi d=47369&btnr=62_0290&hg=62&fg=05

This is the 525I link

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC12&mospi d=47373&btnr=62_0290&hg=62&fg=05

Good luck with all you modding...looks expensive and very time consuming...but then again, who buys an E34 cos they want to save money and spend time with their spouse???

BB

87 E30 320I
thomp1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomp1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2007 at 11:00

another quick question can anyone tell me if the clocks from a 520i and 525i are the same or swappable with each other as the source of my new dash clocks has fallen through but i have found quite a few 520 ones

chris

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2007 at 14:09

Firstly welcome to the forum

If you are after a M5 kit i just hapen to have a full kit in my loft with some spare bits with the kit if you fancy give me a pm and i will tell you more.

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2007 at 09:27

Chris, I think for the amount of £££ your going to shell out and the issues with the car, you'd be better off buying a 3.6 M5 mate or a.nother "fast" car.

It'd be cheaper in the long run and would have the power, suspension and brakes to match the "go" from the start..

Or enjoy your 525 SE for what it is...

If your that serious about modding the lump, pop over to the e30zone who will answer any ins and outs on tuning the M20....most of the guys over there seem to source the 3.5 M30 lump and then turbo that...maybe more cost effective and offer the kind of BHP gains your looking for?

Good luck anyway

thomp1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomp1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2007 at 22:10

Hi, 1st post so firstly after reading the first 100 pages of posts i must say this seems an excellent site.

i have just bought a '90 525i se manual box that had done 243000 (seems alot but drives quite well and for my plans isn't too relevant) so thought i would lay out my plans for it and also seek some advice on a few minor problems and ideas.

1. plan to buy and fit this kit http://www.zeemax.co.uk/7e34wb.htm it's a bit expensive but i like the look of it although to start with i will be going for the sport/m5 kit in the short term as there are some body repairs to make and ill probably respray it. (lets not have any mention of it being a waste of money, plan on this being my last car before buying a 911 (so should be kept for 2 years or so, plus i earn it and so spend it as i wish)

2. fit lpg ( i chalk up around 500 miles a week)

3. remove engine, strip down head and rebuild, probably skim it and replace headgasket, cambelt, waterpump etc.

4. fit turbocharger, rough idea is t34, cosworth intercooler and emerald or megasquirt custom management. does anyone know if low compression pistons are available for the m20 engine at a reasonable cost, if not ill have to look into a double headgasket and spacer plate setup. looking to run around 6-8psi, let's not say justr buy an m5, it's not as interesting, maintenance and general parts cost more and i got the 525 cheap.

now for the few niggles i need to fix before i can start with the modifying as i want a solid base to start from,

5. big water leak from arounf the front interior light area, suspect sunroof seal which will be replaced during respray anyway, any other possible cause? far to much water to be a blocked drain pipe i think

6. there's a missfire at around 3k rpm when foot is to floor i suspect this is just a servicing issue and will go away with new plugs leads etc. but any suggestions appreciated

7. have fitted half leather recaro interior but it came without rear headrests, anyone suggest where to get some for a reasonable price

8. dash clocks are buggered, there's been an electrical short at the connector thast goes to the brown socket on the clocks as the area is badly burnt and the loom has been cut off. have sourced a new set of clocks but is it possible to get the wiring connector from bmw and does anyone have the wiring info/colors for the particular connector?

9. the rear armrest seems to stick when opening but opens with a decent pull, are these adjustable at all? probably be something simple just haven't had time to lo0ok yet.

10. there is a very small bit of rust at the top edge of the windowscreen, are the screens bonded in as ill remove it for the respray and repair just need to know if i can diy it or need to get a glass palce to do it.

11. is it possible to retrofit cruise control to this car?

12. what suspension setup is recommended, the car will be lowered about 30mm and run 18inch wheels and will also be used for some track days. ive always used bilstein on previous cars but wondered what was recommended in bmw circles.

13. the sunroof has a habit of just opening itself when driving, i suspect it is a faulty switch but are there any other known causes?

14. i will be rebuilding the suspension as a matter of course, would you recommend going for polyurethane bushes all round? don't want the car to be ultra stiff bearing in mind it will be lowered as i do have to do a considerable amount of commuting in it.

15. which lsd would you recommend for it?

also forgot to mention i would be fitting a full s exhaust system with decat and probable dual exit tips

sorry about the long post but i think that covers most of my queries and plans.

cheers

chris

Edited by thomp1983
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic