FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOne for Nigel...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 20:45
The New York smoking ban was nowhere near as comprehensive as the one
in Ireland. I think there was one in Torronto a few years back too. The ban in
Ireland is a 'workplace ban'. Nobody can smoke ANYWHERE people are
working (except outside). Not just bars and restaurants. It really works and I
have no doubt it will be introduced in the UK soon. I really don't agree with
banning smoking in private places including your own car or house,
(Smoking IS banned in company cars and work vans during working hours),
just because its a civil liberty type of argument.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Sponsored Links

Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 14:45

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

I do think anyone smoking in a confined space when children are present should be castrated and the kids taken away!

Agreed

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 13:08

it was on the last word on today fm that they were thinking of campaigning for people to ban smoking in their homes. with regard to ash statement that ireland were the first to ban smoking in public places it was actually guilliani in new york at least 4 yrs ago. michael martin jumped on the band wagen.

smaking is banned in my house if the father in law wants to smoke he goes outside, i have the odd cigar and smoked inside once and said never again the next morning. i go outside my own home for a cigar.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 12:45

LOL

I'm glad I quit smoking.

Next they'll be stopping people smoking in the house if they have kids

I don't agree with it but it is going to wind a lot of people up

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 12:36
I don't have kids, and I don't smoke around other peoples rugrats.  I also don't attempt to light up in other peoples cars/homes unless invited to.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 12:35
I do think anyone smoking in a confined space when children are present should be castrated and the kids taken away!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 12:32

E$%£"^%^&"%£!"$!"^%£^*&%$$!"%^£$"&%£"!!!

I agreed with the smoking ban in public buildings, but this is really extracting the urine.  Next I won't be able to smoke in my own house (you can't if you have someone working in your house with the way the law currently stands).

Thinking about texting the guy above.

Edited by Fey!
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2007 at 09:11
http://www.ash.ie/News/Latest_News/ASH_call_for_Smoking_Ban. html

ASH Ireland call for Smoking Ban in all Motor Vehicles

Date: 20 February 2007

ASH Ireland call for Smoking Ban in all Motor Vehicles.

20th Feb 2007 - Ash Wednesday call from ASH Ireland…

ASH Ireland today called on the government to introduce a smoking ban in all motor vehicles in the best interest of health and road safety. The workplace smoking legislation introduced in 2005 did not restrict smoking in private vehicles.

Professor Luke Clancy, Chairman of ASH Ireland said today, “Our anti-smoking legislation has been extremely successful and the government are again to be complimented on an initiative which is being replicated all around the world. I believe that smoking should be banned in cars as it raises issues in relation to health as well as road safety. Smokers must light up, hold the cigarette, deposit the ash and dispose of the cigarette - all whilst driving. If it is not safe to hold a mobile phone while driving – it’s difficult to see how it can be safe to smoke. For health reasons there are obvious risks. The smoker is at additional risk in such a confined space as are all other passengers who use the car during and after the smoking. This would apply in particular to young children who are particularly vulnerable to the effects of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS).

Recent research from Health Services Executive West shows that 9% of non-smokers allow adults to smoke in a car with children present, while 37% of smokers allow smoking in the same situation.

As we approach another Ash Wednesday it is opportune for the government to look at this health proposal. A decision to implement this health initiative would merely require an amendment to the 2005 legislation. Once again this initiative would be welcomed by those with a genuine concern in health and would be followed elsewhere all around the world – just as our workplace legislation has been.

Regrettably, over 6600 people die from tobacco related disease in this country each year – and it is imperative that every possible initiative is taken to alleviate this horrific statistic.

ENDS
Further information
Professor Luke Clancy, 086-8364337
Wally Young, Young Communications 01 668 0530

ASH Ireland is funded by the Irish Cancer Society and Irish Heart Foundation
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic