Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProvisional licence holders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdevitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 01:29
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Why do some of you guys think its ok to drive on a provisional without supervision ?

Its completely legal here to drive unaccompanied on your second provisional at the moment - the change in law just stops this.

I can understand people on the second provisionals feeling slightly aggrieved, as they were effectively being given a days notice, but anyone on a first, third etc has been breaking the law as it is, and is now complaining that they wish to continue breaking the law!
Sponsored Links

irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 08:55
A few people that have provisional licenses feel that it is unfair that they will have to have an accompanied driver beside them until they receive a full licence, considering they have been driving on their own since they got their "license". But at the end of the day they are breaking the law right now, driving on their own.

I know if I was on a prov-license I would be annoyed too, but what can you do. The law is the law, and people have been flouting the driving laws for far too long.

People are still driving down motorways with L plates, unaccompanied.

I think the only job the Traffic Corp do is check for speeders, and they check for that on motorways and dual-carraigeways, where there is feck all fatality.

Look at the driving instructors in this country for gods sake, there is no regulation. Anyone with a pink licence can teach wannabes how to drive. What a disgrace.

1. Driving instructors should be regulated.

2. At least 25 hours of daytime/night-time driving experience before    owning a car.

3. Driving intuition should be mandatory in schools from 5th year.

4. Traffic laws actually enforced. If people see the law is enforced,     they aremore likely going to do something about their current            driving situation.

Edited by irelandoffline
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Claudio View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 12:27

Originally posted by netwhizkid netwhizkid wrote:

Originally posted by <SPAN =bold>larzyh larzyh wrote:

netwhizkid - I agree with much of what you've said but let me get the right - you got a provisional license at 17, not to use it, but in order to drive un-accompanied on your second provisional license at 18? I would consider that a misuse of the system, as the first license is intended for you to gain experience while accompanied by another, fully qualified, driver. It is thus possible to drive unaccompanied without any experience, whatsoever; crazy system!

I got my first provisional a few days after my 17th Birthday and I started driving on it and was driving on it for 5 months before it expired and I then got my 2nd Provisional and am driving on that since while waiting for my test, my father or mother usually accompanied me on all journeys and we would often go on nonsensical journey's just simply so I could get used to driving, I drove these in both my Auto BMW and a Manual Toyota and I can drive both.

This way I got enough experience and confidence in so I could drive on my own with my second provisional, a person has to learn to drive on their own too; one must remember because you can't have mam or dad with you while you are taking the practical driving test. What is happening now is nothing short of a nanny state and will actually contribute to higher failure rates in my opinion.

Drivers Education is key and you have so many young people sitting behind the wheel and they haven't a clue how to drive a car properly or the risks involved. The same goes for the functioning of a car I'd estimate that 50% of drivers don't know the basics of how an internal combustion engine works or that a clutch isn't just a peddle. I understood most of this when I was 12yrs old.

Also as a nation of Manual Cars there is the inherent dangers involved with Manuals as they are harder to drive when you begin driving  eg. stalling etc. In America they begin you in Automatics to let you get used to the complex nature of traffic and controlling a car and then migrate you onto Manual if you wish. This was how I started as I began in my Auto BMW and after a month moved to Manual and after a little practice got into that easily and I must say my slight auto experience helped me greatly in this aspect of my driving.

Not to turn this into a Auto V Manual Debate but I think the way I did this was an excellent way and I spent over 400 in lessons from a Qualified instructor in teaching me how to drive in both Vehicles although I may have taken a few extra lessons in the Manual Car but this is because I plan to undertake my driving test in a Manual so as not to have Automatic Restriction on my licence leaving me free to choose either transmission method throughout my life.

When I get my Licence it is will be no big deal as it is just a Licence plenty people have full driving licences and are worse drivers than any learner, approx. 30,000 people got free full licences under a licence amnesty to clear a backlog in the past. Adopting a safe and courteous driving mentality is key and this move by the Government is just another smoke-screen to scapegoat young drivers for the Governments inability to adopt better driving policies and improve our roads which are 20yrs behind Continental Europe, a starter they could make is exempt crucial modern safety features from VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) which has seen a large percentage of Irish cars sold with poverty specs to ensure market prices as a result your "standard Irish" Model won't have much in the line of safety features and forget any toys or luxury like maybe GPS or Air-Conditioning as standard. These punitive taxes are forcing young people who generally have enough expense of Education and maybe a Mortgage into unsafe cars which is thus leading to higher fatalities on our roads.

While the intention of the Government maybe good they sure are making a dog's dinner of the way they are going about doing it.

I Musy say netwhizkid that was a great reply you made there with a lot of very good points,Especially regarding people not knowing the BASIC controls of the car,within the last few weeks i have seen 3 people driving around my town in the dark with no lights on.Like how thick does someone have to be that you forget to turn on your lights, it is basic common sense..I know of 1 or 2 girls who dont even know what foglights are ar where to turn them on in a car.Dont even mention asc or dsc or ebd etc etc..There is proof that there is major lack in education to people who are learning..btw the im not making a sexist statement about girls,driving, they are just the particular examples i have seen..

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 14:36

Just on the point of lights here, nothing to do with driving licences.

I recently had a vauxhall astra 1.4 sxi on hire, the instrument panel & controls were entirely lit all the time the ignition was on........it is to date the only car that I feel I could have driven in a lit built up area without switching the lights on !

Best Wishes

Nigel

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 16:59
I always drive with my lights on, sure there is no harm in it.
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 17:28

netwhizkid - I think the government is trying to catch up with the rest of Europe by, at least elliminating some of the ridiculous scenarios possible under the current system. I know of no European country other than the UK who operate a Learner Driver system (Edit: And Ireland, of course!).

I doubt if any fatal accidents happened as a direct result of somebody stalling their manually transmissioned car. Manual or automatic transmission does not make a fundamental difference to the safe operation of a motor vehicle.

I know many people who do not have any level of mechanical understanding but are perfectly "safe and courteous" drivers. It is fine to know how to operate a car without necessarily understanding the mechanics of it.

It should be a "big deal" to get a license; if it makes no difference just because some Learner Drivers are safer drivers than some drivers with a full license, one might as well not have a licensing system at all.

Safety is more likely to be a maintenance issue than whether the car left the factory with or without "extras". Which safety features are included in a UK BMW that is omitted from the Irish model? Most fatal accidents are considered a direct result of driver error.

Totally in agreement with your last point, not withstanding my first point.

Edited by larzyh
Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 19:02
Looks like a reprieve for motorists til June next year for the second provisional drivers but as for all the rest tough luck it was always there
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 19:18
Hey Topazman, hear anything about enforcement??
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 22:49

Sure some of the driving test centres leave a lot to be desired, when i was doing my test I was in the driving school beside it before hand going thru some last minute checks, the instructors were commenting that the tester brought a motorcyclist thru a stop sign 3 times and he didnt stop once that same guy passed his test as he was the only one out at the time.

My test from the moment I met the tester to the time he gave me the slip of paper was 15 mins, I rang swmbo and she was astonished how quickly my test was over.

Dont forget the last time that there was a major backlog on people waiting for tests, they all got amnesties.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2007 at 23:33
Well isn't this turning into a popular topic. I ve read all the arguments, but the whole thing has to be taken on logic. As was mentioned, the law has always been there. Now they are enforcing it. Yes we older chaps drove on provisionals without someone with us, but we never had skylines an glanzas wasting valuable bavarian countryside. I don't think i was dreaming in january when i told my missus to get her test because they are gonna clamp down on learners. That was 9 months ago when there was a 6 month waiting list. Maybe they should have put a few reminders during Coronation street. But the fact remains if you haven't proved to be a competent driver (which i assume is the basis of a test) then you should not be driving a car on your own. I agree that good driving comes from experience and how can you get experience if you are not allowed to drive, but set some limits. Good points have been made about limiting size of engine etc which surely is the only answer. Along with educating drivers to get their fat arses into a BM and enjoy a bit of quality driving instead of going 50yards (that's about 50metersish for you younger chaps) and dumping the excess from their very undernourished turbos. So let's push, from this site our want's and needs. A waiting time of 3months for a test, a limit on engine size to 1.4litre till you've  passed your test, and compulsory that your first car post test is an E34. (that one's for you Ben). That's my rant for now. Someone moreup on these computer thingys might get some sort of poll or petition going on what we want to see happening.
Always willing to learn
Security2U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Security2U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2007 at 07:20

Its a load of if people want 2 drive on provisionals let them im on my 2nd so far if these boyz racer lads who giv every young lad a bad name get a full license they ill get cheaper insurance powerful cars and they ill think there great on there full if the cops get them that it wont be as bad as if they had there provisonal license still its not noing the rules of the road that is killing people its speed or drink drivers i could be on my provisonal license Full license or just hav a fishing license with me i could still do 150mph out a road and crash in to sum1 and kill him and myself wat should be done i think is bring in the speed cameraz or more guards on the roads.

Edited by thepits
Zim Zimmer who's got the keys 2 my Beamer
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2007 at 19:09

Originally posted by Security2U Security2U wrote:

Its a load of if people want 2 drive on provisionals let them im on my 2nd so far if these boyz racer lads who giv every young lad a bad name get a full license they ill get cheaper insurance powerful cars and they ill think there great on there full if the cops get them that it wont be as bad as if they had there provisonal license still its not noing the rules of the road that is killing people its speed or drink drivers i could be on my provisonal license Full license or just hav a fishing license with me i could still do 150mph out a road and crash in to sum1 and kill him and myself wat should be done i think is bring in the speed cameraz or more guards on the roads.

It's illegal thats why not.

In this case the Law is NOT an ass!

In the UK we already have enough trouble with un-licenced, un-taxed, so therefore un-insured drivers to last us a lifetime.

The UK driving test is rubbish - yes ok, I (and a few others here possibly) probably wouldn't pass it again now, but that doesn't mean it's any good, but rules is rules.

You pass it, you're allowed to drive alone anywhere - including motorways - but it doesn't mean you are a good driver.

But a provisonal driver hasn't even proved how bad they are

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2007 at 21:14

I love it when people say they couldn't pass their driving test now !

What pittsy is saying is he doesn't think he could reach the min standard required to be allowed to drive on British roads unsupervised.......

Of course he could !

The test over here is better than it has ever been, it just seems to be being bogged down with older people (possibly like pittsy) forgetting that they couldn't always drive, and have actually learnt a lot over the years, and they seem to want new drivers to have all their experience.

If you Irish boys really want to feel hard done by, imagine having to drive to the British system, you can't drive unsupervised at all until you've passed a test, theory, hazard perception, & practicle.

Best Wishes

Nigel

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 13:14
I think that this will make very little difference as the chance of detection is so low. What provisional drivers will probably do is remove their L plates - then who is to know?

The loophole should be tightened, but a lot more is needed (as per the UK system) to make a real difference.
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Security2U Security2U wrote:

Just get your full licence and stop whining.

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

The loophole should be tightened, but a lot more is needed (as per the UK system) to make a real difference.
With operation GoSlow kicking off in a few weeks the risks on 1st/3rd prov licencees will increase.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 14:45

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Originally posted by b318isp b318isp wrote:

With operation GoSlow kicking off in a few weeks the risks on 1st/3rd prov licencees will increase.

Working in Dublin City Centre at the present, only for I know what the traffic I would be driving in. The train is a complete pain in the butt, never on time. Operation go slow should be fun this year if they start to clamp down on the licences. There was a major checkpoint on the locan road a couple of months back, about 20 Gardai checking tax/insurance. Large number of cars pulled in.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 20:25

Do you boys not enjoy an anpr system yet ?

If not, I'm sure its coming

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

I know of no European country other than the UK who operate a Learner Driver system.

I'm surprised by this comment...I thought they all did, including you, but you choose not to enforce yours.

Our licences have been changing to fall inline with europe too, max weights, max seating etc etc.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2007 at 21:17
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Our licences have been changing to fall inline with europe too, max weights, max seating etc etc.

I've noticed that as well, i can drive a 7 ton twin axle wagon with a trailer and my sister can't. I've a lot more entitlements on my license than my sister does. Wasn't there a law that came out not so long ago that stopped folks driving a large landrover (9 seats?) on a normal licence?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic