FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 Angel Eyes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 Angel Eyes
    Posted: 29-November-2003 at 15:50
I've learn that the latest HELLA Chromed Angel eyes are plug and play, but there's another set available which are not HELLA and they are called Chromed HALO lights.

They say it comes like the HELLA as a complete unit, not like the other cheaper HALO rings on the market that you put into the exsisting BM headlight unit.

Now I've noticed that the HELLA rings are smaller than the HALO rings. But are the HALO units more difficult to fit than the HELLA ones? Even though they are complete units. Do you have to re-wire to fit?

98' M3 EVO Coupé - 321 Bhp
Sponsored Links

TOPCAT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2003 at 16:26
I have noticed across the web that this subject has come up B4. But no-one has said which one is easlier to fit.

I have seen that the In-Pro ones which do look better as bigger Halos but they are a yellowish colour. Can't say I like that, I would prefer the white blue colour.

Ant318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2003 at 23:41
Go for the Hellas mate,fitted a set to my car today and they look the bizzo,you wont be disappointed,give off a nice crisp blue/white light. HTR are doing them for £299 + free delivery. As you say they are plug & play,a 1 hour job max.
Ants318is
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2003 at 15:14
Hella have just released a new non-chrome version which IMHO is more subtle.

Hella and In.Pro units are a doddle to fit. I've not heard of these Chromed Halo units

Anything that involves taking your lights to bits is going to be more complicated although it is still reported to be well within the skills of most DIYers. To give you some idea, I had never played about with my headlight units before and I managed to fit In.Pro units in about an hour (Hellas will be the same). When doin it again, it took even less time.

The only possibly annoying issue will be aligning your headlights after fitting new units. Although if your lights are correctly aligned before you change to a new set then simply line up on a flat surface and make some markings on a wall or garage door or similar vertical surface to give you a target against which to align the new units.
TOPCAT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 09:51
Where have you found out about the non-chromed Hellas is there an image I can look at?

I take it if you buy just the Halos to fit into the exsisting BM unit you probably don't have to worry about the alignment factor. The halos kit is around £73 quid. It would be nice to see for real a set of Hellas against the other Halos then you get a really good idea what is your preference.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2003 at 10:14
Hella Press Release

I've also heard tell of a set of Hellas which also include proper Xenon lights. Not too cheap - price been reported about the £1k mark. Not seen anything official though.

If you dismantle your headlights and then fit rings, you'll still need to realign them. However, the plus point would be that the lights units will still fit into standard beam-setting kit used by all stealers who charge £20ish to align.

Which one to go for seems entirely down to personal preference :

- Folk are either into taking their headlights to bits or not.
- Each kit offers something different, whether it's value for money, altering colours, CRT, fibre optic, LED, pseudo-fibre optic, etc
- In.Pro units are generally reviewed as being too dull. If you're into it, you can again dismantle these and 'upgrade' them with LED. Umnitza even market an upgrade kit.
- Umnitza will also sell you genuine headlights with ring kits pre-installed. Their 'Lightning; kit looks fearsomely bright.
- Hella chrome units are a personal taste thing.
- Hella units are generally reviewed as having quite bright rings. They are also generally reviewed as having the smallest rings.
- Don't forget the cannabaliser's fave - dismantle genuine E39 Units and jury rig them into E36 units.
- Finally, you could just get a bodyshop to graft E39 Units onto your car! The Yellow E36 recently shown at Donnington and I believe in Revs shows this mod.

Do your homework and make your choice
TOPCAT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2003 at 15:58
Thanks for the help you have been very helpful.
I will let u know how I get on.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2003 at 16:01
Happy hunting
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2003 at 15:12
I agree, the Hella chrome units are too gawdy formy tastes (re: Lexus looky-likey).The black ones are better,but the rings are way too small.
The Unitza ones look the bunnies.

I'm going to write my letter to Santa now!

Edited by STEVE328

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
M3JCG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2003 at 16:49

I have just purchased the chrome hella headlights and first impressions is they are absolutely fantastic.

I disagree that the rings are quite small they seem just about the right size (you can have them too big) also they look like whole rings, where as some other models do not look complete. - Also the color of light from the main beams is a much cleaner blue light than mucky yellow, a BIG plus.

The shade of the car makes a difference in whether they look gawdy or not, on a dark car it might look silly but on a silver/light blue car the effect is striking to say the least. (Mine is silver)

Overall am very impressed with the hellas - shame i don't have any pictures (yet).

Regards,

James.

Ant318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2003 at 17:08
Spot on James,couldnt agree more,well impressed with mine.
Ants318is
STEVE328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Club member, North East Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2003 at 18:33
It's all a matter of personal taste at the end of the day. I'd argree they probably do look good on a silver car.I'm happy your'e pleased with your purchases!

1996 N Montreal blue 328i saloon 45k / 01 Y Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat.
m330gt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2003 at 12:35

To add another one into the pot, I bought a set of ready assembled units off Ebay, advertised as Osram (although I can't actually find any reference to Osram on the units themselves).  They come with the rings ready fitted that are a bit bigger than the Hella ones (and I personally think look better since the ring is incomplete as on the E39). 

They were pretty easy to fit although the access is a bit tight behind them on my car.  My only problem has been that the electric height adjusters won't fit from my old headlights, so I've had to leave them manual and get them set at an MOT station.  The rings are a nice cool blue when lit but my only other slight criticism is that they're not bright enough to see in daylight.

I'd also echo the other guys comments re taste.  Mine are chrome, I'm still not sure I love the look on my BRG car.

Cheers

Paul

raptor_demon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 11:52

Hello all,

Im new hear so if i have missed something im sorry,

Has anyone got any pics of the black version on of these lights on a dark coloured car, mine is black.

how much did you pay for your hella lights? the best i can find is 266 pounds on ebay?

thanks

Raptor

Ant318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2004 at 13:47
Firstly,my car is Boston Green so fairly dark in colour. I have the chrome Hellas fitted and they look superb. Dont think that because you have a dark car,you have to have the black lights. As far as price is concerned, £299 is the best price I found by miles. Be wary what you are bidding for off Ebay, are they genuine etc..... do you have a link to the ebay page?
Ants318is

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 09:42

Hi, Do you have  a pic of your car with the hella's mounted? i have found very few pics of these that were not taken by hella,

My car is black so i reckon that the black lights would look better on the car but i dunno, i live in switzerland so these kinda things i cant just walk in and have a look at,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2453838627&category=57310

the ebay page is in german but basically it says the probuct is original hella with bulbs, the german hella dealer said they sell these for 520 euros in germany.

thanks

Raptor

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 10:36

Originally posted by TOPCAT TOPCAT wrote:

Where have you found out about the non-chromed Hellas is there an image I can look at?

I take it if you buy just the Halos to fit into the exsisting BM unit you probably don't have to worry about the alignment factor. The halos kit is around £73 quid. It would be nice to see for real a set of Hellas against the other Halos then you get a really good idea what is your preference.

Which kit is this for £73? Is one which will fit straight into my lights, and are they LED?

I got a universal kit (LED rings) which were £20, but it has four rings, but one pair are smaller, so I'll have to buy another set so I have to big pairs!! They are from CT Racing.

I done a trial run in my original headlights and they look good!! They'll need a bit of modding as the ring has a plate on it which will need triming.

So I'll have angle eyes for £40!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 12:54

dave 328 do you know if your kits are road legal?

I think i am going to go for the blakc hella's i just saw a pic of a black bmw same colour as mine with the silver lights and i found the silver made it look a bit odd... see... i have condensation in my headlights and i really wanna get the h7 bulb so i get better light output.

Does anyone know if the black ones have less light output?

And has anyone got any pics of them on the car? all i can find is just hte lamp stitting on the hella box.

Just spoke to the swiss dealer he can get them for me at 265pounds (600chf swiss) in black or sivler but they are not available till march...

the xenon kit intested me but 500 pounds is alot for what you get...

Raptor

Edited by raptor_demon
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2004 at 15:48

Raptor,

The kit does say for off-road use only, but this can mean the company who make them haven't paid for the approval stamp - just easier to sell them and put this on the packing to cover themselves.

But if you look at some of the 'special' headlights bulbs with blue tinges etc, these also say for off-road use.

they look the same as the 5-series when turned on, so if they passed, I'm sure these will be OK - just haven't had the approval stamp!

The original side light bulb (which the eyes replace) will be be easily re-connected, just in-case!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2004 at 10:08

Thanks dave,

In switzerland where i am if you use anytihng that is not EC or TUV approved and you have an accednet, then you will probalby be held resposable so i cant take any risks with that, dont get em wrong 40quid sounds grat and im sure they look fantastic but i dont wanna risk having my insurance voided should i have a crash just coz the Swiss government is over strict.

I think i will go for the Black hellas, however i have not found any pictures of them has anyone seen any?

I just saw the the bmws with OEM rings is: 5series, 6 series,7 sereis and X5.(i was in the showroom this morning waiting for the stealer to look at my rev counter problem it took them 30 mins to see me...)

thakns Raptor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic