Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 Springs and Dampers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 Springs and Dampers
    Posted: 08-January-2009 at 13:55
I am starting to work on the set-up of my E36 318. I am not a power-monger. I usually mod every car I own but its always suspension and brakes. Lowered set-ups are no use to me.

Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive set of info about springs and dampers?

I am surprised there is not clearer information on any forums, here or elsewhere, about the various standard set-ups, spring dimensions, damper setting, bushes, strut spacers and so on.

(Anyone got a set of 320 or 323 E36 front springs lying around? Standard or M.)
JimF

"Nemo me impune lacessit"
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2009 at 21:47

There isn't that muich to know about e36 standard suspension, there are no "various standard set ups" to my knowledge, other than the E36 coupes are all 10mm lower than the 4 doors, as standard.

For more info on part numbers etc, try www.realoem.com

HTH

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 13:14
Not much to know?

What are the spring dimensions?

What are the standard ride height measurements?

Anyone got damper settings? Tests graphs?

I really don't like working in the dark.

Maybe naive of me but I did think that considering the popularity of these cars, somebody somewhere would have gathered together this kind of info by now.

JimF

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 14:02
TBH I've never heard of an amateur / enthusiast modder working at that level of detail. What kind of work have you done to your cars in the past?
MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by jimf671 jimf671 wrote:

Yeah, I'll just go and get them.

Probably the most ridiculous question I've ever heard. It's a 318i, what are
you trying to achieve??
I don't have a carbon footprint. I drive everywhere.
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 15:14
Originally posted by MBW1 MBW1 wrote:

Yeah, I'll just go and get them.

you trying to achieve??

Don't be rude.
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 16:09
Generally, I am a minimalist. However, my view of minimum may be affected by my background: commercial vehicle design engineer, rally mechanic, transport soldier.

If I can get away with a standard damper that is as good or better than a sporty product then I buy the standard one. If I can fit springs from another model from a scrap yard and get good handling and better traction than with an expensive sporty set then the scrappers it will be. Being expensive and yellow is no help in Glen Shiel in a snow storm.

In the past I have cut springs, bent springs and retempered them in a bucket of p1ss, moved suspension mounts, made or modified suspension arms, had springs and dampers built to my own spec, removed anti-roll bars and rebuilt damper valves. Brake fires and tyre fade have been part of my driving experience on the roads of Ross & Cromarty and Inverness. I don't do lowering, or PU bushes, or Rose joints, or coloured calipers, or wide tyres. I do drive through puddles at 160km/h, love hard-pack snow, hate power steering and pull the fuses on the ABS.

(PS: The spring IS the shock absorber.)
JimF

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 16:15
LOL so not an amateur then. I think some E36s were entered in some of the Scottish rallies. Can you get the level of detail you're after through you rally contacts? The BMWCC (should you be / become a member) also have access to a specific motorsport contact who again may have the level of detail you seek.

happy hunting
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 17:56

Probably the most ridiculous question I've ever heard. It's a 318i, what are you trying to achieve??

So it's a 318i. It's light (well, compared to a 1665kg E92 M3) and simple and has 85kW, which will get me as fast as I shall want to go. For the worst of conditions on mountain roads the more powerful cars are unmanageable. The 318 was chosen because I couldnt find a decent 316 at the time. My last car was a 316 although that was under warranty and I never got round to fiddling with it.
JimF

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 17:19

Still don't understand, you don't want to lower it, so why do you want know all about spring dimensions? Are you going to try & fit springs from another car, like a subaru or something?

Can you not measure what you have?

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2009 at 19:08

you trying to achieve??

So it's a 318i. It's light (well, compared to a 1665kg E92 M3) and simple
and has 85kW, which will get me as fast as I shall want to go. For the
worst of conditions on mountain roads the more powerful cars are
unmanageable. The 318 was chosen because I couldnt find a decent 316
at the time. My last car was a 316 although that was under warranty and I
never got round to fiddling with it.

You are clearly very bored!

What exactly is wrong with the standard set up as designed and
perfected by BMW? I assume you have brand new standard springs,
dampers, balljoints and bushes? You will need them to establish a
starting point from which to effect an 'improvement'. If you don't.............
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 14:14

What exactly is wrong with the standard set up as designed and perfected by BMW?

Not very much.

My changes will mean that the car will handle wet roads, hump-back bridges and snow better than the standard car.

I assume you have brand new standard springs, dampers, balljoints and bushes? You will need them to establish a starting point from which to effect an 'improvement'. If you don't.............

This is a very good point that you make and one that I constantly find myself making to others!

When I had the last E36 it was very low mileage and in excellent condition, so I know what the basic spec is like in good condition. This car is a bit more worn. I will replace worn components with better ones where possible. This means better for the environment in which the car will be used and not better for roundabouts in Essex or perfect Wurtemberg/Bavarian blacktop.

My first mod was my usual trick: fitted narrower tyres. Let's see if you can work that one out.
JimF

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 16:32

My changes will mean that the car will handle wet roads, hump-back bridges and snow better than the standard car.

If you're wanting to take some of the compliance out of the suspension then you should be looking at M3 or poly bushes.

If you are wanting to uprate the springs then you are almost certainly looking at lowered ones. Although the M3's were only 15mm lower than standard most after market ones are at least double that.

By fitting narrower tyres I expect you're trying to reduce grip & improve handling response. I assume you must have read the article (by Autocar I believe) which stated the 6-cylinder E36 handling was duller than the 4-cylinders due to the extra tyre width.

Although the E36 has performed well in certain track disciplines, only the E30 saw service as a rally car (afaik). The E36 design parameters required a substantial increase in weight which didn't really suit rallying.

If you're looking to build a road rally machine then the E30 would be much more suitable as there is a far greater range of mods available.

Still, if you want to continue with the E36 then bear in mind there were differences between the early & late 6-cylinder cars & between the 6 & 4 cylinder models too.

Your best solution would be to go for coil-overs as they give the biggest range of adjustment allowing you to achieve whatever it is you're trying to do.

Edited by AndyS
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2009 at 19:13
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

... ...

... whatever it is you're trying to do.

The bushes will end up as a mix of standard and M3.

Regarding compliance, it's a word I use often and compliance is not all bad. The general rule is that all standard cars are soggy at the front and, though it's a very fine chassis as standard, the rule still applies here. Since it's got struts, I immediately look at doubling the front spring rate. This will improve camber control, stability under braking and stability on landing. In this case it probably will not be enough to allow me to dump the anti-roll bar. Any resulting degradation of the turn-in response will be dealt with by geometry changes. The relative compliance of the rear improves by stiffening the front and this should give improvements in traction.

I don't see lowering as an option. The rear is low and stiff just now. This has made the Kinlochhourn road a nightmare. Never again. Suspension travel and compliance can be very precious.

I have been fitting narrower tyres to vehicles for 30 years. This means I can drive balls-out in the wet, the improved tyre bracing gives better responsiveness and the money I save through not having to buy wider wheels and tyres can go on good quality malt whisky. Don't even think about following me through puddles. Currently 195 on 7" and very happy with it.

The differences between early and late 6-cylinder cars has been confusing me already. Which had the stiffest suspension? I have been thinking in terms of late 320/323 but I am not sure. Once I find a spring I think I can use, I will run the calculation in my MathCAD file to find the working length in the 318 and the rate. If it's too long, I might have to cut somthing like half a coil off each end, in which case I will check the stresses as well.

Coilovers are a race toy intended for standardising springs in circumstances where rapid and frequent spring changes are necessary. For road cars, they are a means of reducing manufacturing cost, creating a 'race-bred' marketing tool and rippin' the sh1t out of your wallet. The car goes on forest and estate roads and coilovers would be a disaster on those surfaces.

All more A697 than 'coast road'.

Must go: the kitchen is full of brake and suspension parts!!!
JimF

MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 11:59
You don't need lower or stiffer springs to make an E36 handle better. A
standard 318iS with 205 section tyres is just fine.
I would recommend Bilstein B4 dampers - they're about £150 for four
from Euro Car Parts. The B4 is a standard black gas damper that is
slightly stiffer than the standard Boge and comparable to the M Technic
318iS damper. The difference is, it has a standard length damper rod
whereas the M Technic damper has a shorter one to match the shorter
springs. I would say you need:

-Bilstein B4 shocks
-Four new standard springs
-New rear trailing arm bushes
-E30 front wishbones - solid outer ball joints as opposed to the E36
rubber bushed ones that wear out and give a slightly woolly straight
ahead feel. Same basic arm and a straight swap.
-E30 M3 front wishbone rear offset bushes. These increase the castor
angle making the steering heavier but more responsive.

-318iS anti roll bars. Just to cut the roll a touch without upsetting ride
comfort.

I reckon this will give you a sharper handling car with a good ride and
total practicality with plenty of all important wheel travel

Going narrower than the standard tyre will invalidate your insurance.

Edited by MBW1
jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2009 at 13:16
That's sounds good.

Glad to hear good things about the Bilsteins. Do you think a 320/323 front strut would be externally identical with a higher rate?

Standard rear spring almost certainly. Possibly standard 320/323 m-tech front spring.

Good idea with the E30 arms.

Definitely going for the M3 bush on the front arm.

I havent had a serious look at rear bushes yet but I note your recommendation.

The options in the owners manual go one size lower than this. One reason I didnt use a 185 is that nobody would even try to put one on a 7"!!! Probably far too stretched anyway and the tyre's would be like a lifeless brick.

(What I have doone in the past is to submit a modified vehicle report with technical details and appropriate justifications to the insurance company. I have never paid extra. If their people make a disproportionate fuss or are obviously technically incompetent then I just change insurance companies.)

Thanks.
JimF

jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2009 at 13:04
Here is a list of links that might be interesting. Mainly dampers. Many are track stuff but the principle is interesting.

http://www.sachsracing.com/owx_medien/media360/36043.pdf
http://bc.biblos.pk.edu.pl/bc/resources/CT/CzasopismoTechnic zne_6M_2008/DzierzekS/ExtendingPassive/pdf/DzierzekS_Extendi ngPassive.pdf
http://www.optimumg.com/documents/techtips/Springs%20&%20Dam pers_Tech_Tip_4.pdf
http://www.optimumg.com/documents/techtips/
http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/documents/manuals/07440-01.p df
http://www.vehicledynamics-expousa.com/08_conf/pdfs/day%201/ 10.40_dzierzek.pdf
http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/2007_TKRS_Catalo g.pdf
http://www.kinetic.au.com/techno.html
http://mgtclass.mgt.unm.edu/Jurkat/Mgt%20532/SuspModel.doc
http://forums.focaljet.com/suspension/426985-bilstein-pss9-d amping-curves-found.html
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4116
http://www.vehicledynamics-expo.com/07vdx_conf/day_3/nowlan. pdf
http://www.koniracing.com/2812.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9612_tech/index.html
JimF

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 17:23

The options in the owners manual go one size lower than this. One reason I didnt use a 185 is that nobody would even try to put one on a 7"!!! Probably far too stretched anyway and the tyre's would be like a lifeless brick.

The 195 & 185(M&S option) were on 6.5" steel rims. The 7x15 alloy wheel option automatically upgraded to 205/60's.

The only time a narrower tyre makes sense is in snow (more than a couple of inches deep). If there'a a lot of standing water a narrower tyre will aquaplane less but since we're only talking 10 or 20mm there won't be much (if anything) in it.

The narrow tyre issue contradicts what you say you're after as the 205 has a lower profile & therefore a stiffer sidewall than the 195 or 185.

You seem to be trying to reduce outright grip in exchange for more adjustable handling? Are you trying to introduce oversteer?

My 328 is on quality 205/60 15's & is fine on all road conditions. Despite what you say about wet roads in Scotlands back-of-beyond, they're no worse than those in the wilds of Northumberland.
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

jimf671 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimf671 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 13:12
I have been doing this on many cars and for 30 years. The first car I did it on was a Hillman Imp in 1978. Everyone else was going up to 165 or 175 and floating every time it rained (the car was 550kg). With my well-braced 145s, I just kept going and I didnt have to cope with restriction on my steering lock either.

Normally, you get an improvement in handling, a small reduction in dry grip, improvements in wet performance and a wad of cash still in your wallet that you can spend on better dampers, petrol or fine whisky.

There have been times in the past when I have over-done it and had tyre-fade in the summer on long runs in the northwest. Ooops.

195 on 7" is exceptionally well braced. I am still messing about with tyre pressures. Disabling the power steering was on the agenda anyway but there is definitely not a need for assistance with this setup.

I have near enough the same sidewall height as with the original 205/60 except that the geometry is slightly different.
JimF

W4YNE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W4YNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2009 at 17:49
don't know what you are tryin to do but i have 325 springs and shocks

fecken fox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic