Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roddy’s E36 M-Sport - M52B28 Conversion - Huge Spec
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoddy’s E36 M-Sport - M52B28 Conversion - Huge Spec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RoddyE36Mtec View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2010 at 17:33
Update :

Yesterday the car got picked up on the back of K's transporter (Which my exhaust decided it did not like the transporter and tryed to rip the floor up lol) and taking to chizfab to have the overheating problem diagnosed!

Just waiting to here back tonight or tommorow morning to what exactly is the problem with the car.

So hopefully i shall be a bit further forward tomorrow on what im going to be doing to get the car back on the road!!!

Sponsored Links

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 17:09
No no, gloves will not be in need! The car will drive fine.. we're still not sure its even the head yet.. not been the weather to get it to kyle to low to get near the workshop in this weather!
HairyHaggis View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairyHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 17:02
take gloves for the bootlid :) keeps yur hands warm :) lol

BMW E36 328is M52B28 - SOLD
BMW E36 318is M44 - SOLD
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 16:53
Originally posted by HairyHaggis HairyHaggis wrote:

You gonna push it there ??? Or have you fixed it and no told me

It will either be at the photoshoot with M52, Or be at the shoot with a M3 lump in.. Either way ma man, it will drive there lolol
HairyHaggis View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairyHaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 16:46
You gonna push it there ??? Or have you fixed it and no told me

BMW E36 328is M52B28 - SOLD
BMW E36 318is M44 - SOLD
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 16:43
Wow congrats Roddy! Fingers crossed that goes ahead. Keep us posted! 

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2010 at 16:36
Little update!

Kyle from Chizfab anouced to me last night that he has put the pics of the build of my car that he took on to Performance Bmw Magazine as he recons there intrested in doing a feature of my car as i think he's been in contact with them..

Now just awaiting word back so figures cross eveyone please lol!!!

If it goes ahead and a date is set for Ade to photoshoot the car then more work will be getting done ASAP!

Thought some of you would like to know.

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 23:00
Originally posted by Issy Issy wrote:

sorry to hear your woes Roddy but Im sure you will sort it out! Good luck! 

Thanks issy,

I hopefully will sort the problem out very soon!

No mater what the car will be ready for next years show season M3 engine and full spec.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 22:38
Originally posted by Black Betty Black Betty wrote:

Good luck with it mate, i do like a good build thread and this one's a craker, last one was Gary's EvoIII M3 so it was due.

End of the day the M3 engine will probably be less costly, you did say you planned to do this anyway, it just happened earlier for you

I suppose the Council will be missing your help the now as a snaw plough right enough  

Thanks mate, Yeah i recon the M3 build is due very soon after this escapade!

Car is going back to CHIZFAB early this week, This is the only place we can get the car off the ground and only dry place where the car can drive into without any help from planks of wood apart from my own garage,
But my own garage is full with car's and motorbikes!

So hopefully be able to pin point the exact problem soon..

I drove the car the night it started snowing and every car behind me was getting spray'd off my 9's, but they had nothing to complain about as like you said i completely clear'd the road ahead for them after a little snow built up on the spliter it just became a snow plow lol
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 18:48
sorry to hear your woes Roddy but Im sure you will sort it out! Good luck! 

Ham328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Straight Six!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ham328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 18:01

Bummer mate. The M52 cooling system is ridiculously fragile. Anything remotely above half on the gauge and it really needs switching off and investigating.  

I'd forget using the block again. Once the M52 has been cooked it is just a large paperweight.

On the upside you should pick up an M3 lump easy enough.

Mrs Pontipine is a nosey bint.
Black Betty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
You’ve took that too far man!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Betty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2010 at 16:37
Good luck with it mate, i do like a good build thread and this one's a craker, last one was Gary's EvoIII M3 so it was due.

End of the day the M3 engine will probably be less costly, you did say you planned to do this anyway, it just happened earlier for you

I suppose the Council will be missing your help the now as a snaw plough right enough  

2009 45th anniversary Mustang GT / Black / 8 spark plugs / rubber tyres / twin exhaust / STOCK / pine magic tree :)
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2010 at 11:56

Update :

Thing have took a turn for the worse over the last few days.

My heater decided the other day "i dont want to blow hot air anymore i think ill just blow freezing cold even tho its middle of winter"

Which i originaly thought it could be a few of the common faults that occur, such as

Water pump is away, Heater matrix somthing like that!

Day later i notice temp is starting to creap up ever so slightly.. Which lead to it shooting up right up to below the read when drive slow and when sitting at crusing speed it shooting back down again once youve got cold air coming in to the raidiator.

Ive personaly never seen a temp gauge shoot up and back down so fast that you can actualy see it move!

So now i have suspected headgasket problem.

and im not a happy guy!!!!!!!!

if this is the case i think the car will be off the road while i build the new M3 engine read for start of next year. im not going to spend money fixing this engine so to then build again so i shall use the block for the M3 build and sell the head and parts i dont need as spares!

What a Xmas this is turning out to be!

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2010 at 19:48

Update -

Been a few weeks now since any other work has been done!

Decided over the xmas period to put the car in my garage and bring it back to its former glory, Going to get underneath and give it a good clean and get up inside the arches..

Give the car a full detail, Get its spot on.. 

Also over they winter month next part is BIG BRAKE CONVERSION!!! 

E31 840 Brembo Calipers
E46 M3 Brake Disks
E36 Master Cylinder  

After that we shall see what funds are like and see about getting the -

S50B30 Head
S50B32 Crankshaft
M52B28 +1mm Oversized Pistons
H Beam Rods
Arp Head and Rod Bolts

All fitted and run in!

I shall then run it for a bit with the S50B30 Overbored 3.1 M3 built engine in make sure all run's as it should and get a bit fun out of it before the next stage.

Should be around or just over 300bhp mark as a 3.1 after the head has had a bit work done previous to the build and with Dave F and my Scorpion exhaust and derestricted AFM!

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 17:52
Yeah i no 
Ive been looking up videos and stuff of M3 turbo's and god there faaaaaaaaaaast!

Also instead of the useual US Spec M3 cam upgrade, and paying alot of money and having them imported.

I'm just going to fit a UK S50B30 M3 Head on to my M52B28 block and it will have the benefit of having the bodies aswell. and should be much easyer to create intake plenum for the forced induction, will also have +1mm over bored forged pistons and S50 crankshaft it will be a 3100cc instead of a 3000cc which will increase torque figures..

And i will basicly have a bored out M3 engine!
Which the engine itself will have cost me way less than a M3 lump i could have bought from anywhere and have same M3 performance before the turbocharger at fraction of the cost.

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
M3 Cliff View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3 Cliff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 16:40
Stick in bud, you cannot beat the sound of a turbo'd straight six!! 
[IMG]http://bavarian-board.co.uk/uploads/Webdunk/cliffsig.jpg">
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 15:10
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Originally posted by RoddyE36Mtec RoddyE36Mtec wrote:

stripped it due to massive insurance cost

An M3 was meant to be my starting point but i was only 20 now im 21 and i could not insure one so this was the next step

Is a heavily modified FI car irrespective of the base model not going to be an insurance problem anyway? If you felt insuring an M3 at 20 was problematic then surely insuring a project such as this at 21 is not going to be any easier?

The plan is not to drive the car as a daily driver and have limted amount of miles per year over show season in the summer.. so performance car insurance is not a problem..

This is realisticly a Group 14 car thats been modified.. so there will only be a slight change to my policy.
The reason a cant insure a M3 is because of it being Group 20 and being a main daily driver the insurance company im with just say no!

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 15:04

stripped it due to massive insurance cost

An M3 was meant to be my starting point but i was only 20 now im 21 and i could not insure one so this was the next step

Is a heavily modified FI car irrespective of the base model not going to be an insurance problem anyway? If you felt insuring an M3 at 20 was problematic then surely insuring a project such as this at 21 is not going to be any easier?
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Stanced Stragh Six!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoddyE36Mtec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 14:46
Not realy that a big step mate, as ive have alot of fast cars in the 3 years ive been driving, Ive build a 350bhp track car, and my furst ever car was a supercharged B16 Civic project that got put in then i striped it due to massive insurance cost and sold in parts.. Yeah the 6Cylinder is fast but no where near as fast as it should be for the size of engine it has.

As steve will tell you as he knows a little of what ive told and shown him of my previous cars.. I know what i want and i will do what needs to be done to have it.

My car is my passion and hobby so i put all i can in do it!

An M3 was ment to be my starting point but i was only 20 now im 21 and i could not insure one so this was the next step. and it was always the plan to have some kind of forced induction since the 318Msport was bought it was never to stay a M44. This is been a long time planing not just a decision made in a minute!

And the build of the new engine will be a fair bit of preping and getting things spot on before letting it loose on a dyno.. but will be worth it!

I know for a fact that when i posted about doing the M52B28 conversion and proberly this turbo conversion some folk will have thought "young guy he will never do it" as most forums get these claims daily and nothing ever happins.

I for one am not like every other SPAMING forum user on most forums that post thread after thread about TURBO's & Conversions i carry out my intentions and this has been proven.

and i also understand that alot of folk will not agree with what im doing or done.. but i dont like to be a sheep and follow the leader and make my car like every other E36 that is basicly a "M3 Replica"

The intention is to get mag feature and make the car a one off.

Edited by RoddyE36Mtec
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2010 at 14:22
Thats a big step buddy, why not just enjoy the M52B28 Conversion for a while first no??
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic